Grand Prix 2010 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Well here we go for round 2 and anyone connected to the sport will be hoping for a better show of it than Bahrain.

For the night owls crazy enough to stay up into the wee small hours to watch the first practice sessions, of interest is the recent announcement from Force India that Paul di Resta will be testing the car in P1 of most forthcoming races. Sutil and Liuzzi will take it in turns to pass their cars to di Resta at alternate races. The Scot is highly rated so could this be a sign that Force India may not have the same driver line up next year?

The newbies are still going to be very much in the "testing" phase and all eyes will be on HRT to see if they can improve on their Bahrain showing.

Meanwhile at the sharp end of the grid doubts remain over the reliability of those Renault engines but there's no denying that the Red Bull is quick. Mark Webber, who constantly seems to be drinking Fosters in the last chance Saloon, really needs to put in a good showing at his home track. Of course we have the Nico/Schuey show to snigger at and then there are the Ferraris and Mclarens.

So it's on with the show........

Re: 2010 Australian GP Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

2 things I just remembered -

Michael was behind Fernando after his first stop under the safety car, rather than the stop to change to dry tyres.

Didn't Webber take a chunk out of Lewis earlier in the race too, into turn 3? Somehow, I don't think MW will be getting a card with a Stevenage/Switzerland postmark this Christmas.

Speshal said:
Dear Mr Ecclestone,

I represent a group of companies that do cloud seeding, we can make it rain, wherever and whenever you want, cloud cover permitting, please let us know if you wish to confirm your order for Malaysia by Tuesday at the latest and we will get the wheels in motion (pun intended)

Yours

Spesh

Bernie said:
I have already arranged to start this race at the usual time that monsoon rain arrives in Kuala Lumpur.

But thank you for your offer and I look forward to employing your services and meeting you and your team in the very near future..

Much appreciated

Bernie

Muddytalker said:
Didn't Webber take a chunk out of Lewis earlier in the race too, into turn 3? Somehow, I don't think MW will be getting a card with a Stevenage/Switzerland postmark this Christmas.
Yep.
Mark had 2 attempts to take Lewis out.

Any news of an enquiry into what happened between Webber & Hamilton? If Lewis had nurffed Mark in the same way the stewards would havebeen all over him like a rash. I woudl think a grid penalty would be a reasonable punishment. although that might put him next to Hammy on the grid LOL

FB said:
Any news of an enquiry into what happened between Webber & Hamilton? If Lewis had nurffed Mark in the same way the stewards would havebeen all over him like a rash. I woudl think a grid penalty would be a reasonable punishment. although that might put him next to Hammy on the grid LOL
They mentioned it to Whitmarsh in the F1 Forum, but Webber had apologised and accepted responsibility. It was Webber's fault, but as the replays showed he couldn't have expected Hamilton to back out of the overtake and brake so quickly. It was just a racing incident.

Excellent race! Glad I got up for it.

What the heck was Webber thinking?! He totally ballsed up my Fantasy F1 score! My cars were running line a stern behind Buttons and Kubi before that incident. Me thinks someone had been drinking too much Red Bull before the race...

FB said:

I know what you're saying, but I really hope they don't. If we want overtaking to happen, we have to encourage it, and dishing out penalties for what could be argued as a racing incident* will stop that.

Maybe a 1 race probation?

*I'm not saying it wasn't Webber's fault, but these guys are racing, and the harder you race the more mistakes will happen. With a new era and regime at the FIA, it's time for a clean slate, and an open approach to incidents.

Guys, do you really think an Aussie on home turf is going to get punished for whacking an Englishman off the road? LOL

Yeah, to me that's fine, although it doesn't say what the terms of the reprimand are - I.e. what happens if he causes another incident, and when? But a slap on the wrists will do for now.

Muddytalker said:
Yeah, to me that's fine, although it doesn't say what the terms of the reprimand are - I.e. what happens if he causes another incident, and when? But a slap on the wrists will do for now.
Isn't "reprimand" the end of the matter?

Maybe, but what happens if he gets a reprimand every race? The reprimand wouldn't be working as a deterrent. Anyway, that's a side issue, let's enjoy this race for now :)

Muddytalker said:
Anyway, that's a side issue, let's enjoy this race for now :)
Agreed.
It was almost a classic, just a shame we were denied quite possibly some last lap action with Webber, Hamilton and Alonso.

All results updated: F1 2010 Standings & Results

I should think GM is having kittens trying to work out all the overtakes...

For the first time in a while I can watch Indycar tonight and be asking them:- Match that!

Poor GM. He also has the FL results to compile.

There were few interesting Ferrari moments today - Smedley explaining to Massa how to drive his race, Alonso being told Hamilton was 3.5 seconds behind and saying, "I don't want to know," and after the race, when asked whether they'd consider instructing Massa to move over, Chris Dyer replying, "no we don't do that any more."

One of the best moments (I thought): Karun Chandhok finishing the race after the start to the season he had in Bahrain.

A fantastic race! One of the moves of the day must be di Grassi coming back and retaking the place from Schumacher. :cheer:

I hope the punishment Webber has been given is a reflection of a more mature attitude by the stewards & the FIA. As I mentioned before, I think if Hamilton had been the perpetrator (in previous seasons at least) they would have been attempts to have him hung, drawn and quartered.

It was a mistake by Webber but, in the context of the race and given how close the cars were, not one which was unexpected. Viva the FIA under it's new managment, anyone know which driver was advising the stewards this weekend? I believe it was Prost in Bahrain?

FB said:
Viva the FIA under it's new managment, anyone know which driver was advising the stewards this weekend? I believe it was Prost in Bahrain?

Tom Kristensen. I'm sure someone else mentioned it on the site earlier :)

Back
Top Bottom