Grand Prix 2010 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Well here we go for round 2 and anyone connected to the sport will be hoping for a better show of it than Bahrain.

For the night owls crazy enough to stay up into the wee small hours to watch the first practice sessions, of interest is the recent announcement from Force India that Paul di Resta will be testing the car in P1 of most forthcoming races. Sutil and Liuzzi will take it in turns to pass their cars to di Resta at alternate races. The Scot is highly rated so could this be a sign that Force India may not have the same driver line up next year?

The newbies are still going to be very much in the "testing" phase and all eyes will be on HRT to see if they can improve on their Bahrain showing.

Meanwhile at the sharp end of the grid doubts remain over the reliability of those Renault engines but there's no denying that the Red Bull is quick. Mark Webber, who constantly seems to be drinking Fosters in the last chance Saloon, really needs to put in a good showing at his home track. Of course we have the Nico/Schuey show to snigger at and then there are the Ferraris and Mclarens.

So it's on with the show........

Re: 2010 Australian GP Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Brogan said:
MS up to his old tricks?
Yeah, everyone used to say how astonishing it was that he had the capacity to focus on every tiny aspect to give himself an advantage, but in fact he's just an OCD moaning minnie.

Few more interviews on the re-run. It's interesting how the DDD has changed a cliché. They used to say about being stuck behind another driver meant you spent the whole race "staring at his gearbox". Now it's "staring at his diffuser".

Don't know if it's come up in conversation yet but Rubens deserves pat on the back for an impressive 8th place. It would seem that the Cosworth engine and the Williams chassis look like a useful package.

cider_and_toast said:
It would seem that the Cosworth engine and the Williams chassis look like a useful package.

They'd better be, I have Williams in the Fantasy F1 LOL

cider_and_toast said:
Rubens deserves pat on the back for an impressive 8th place.

Can't agree more with that statement, stirling effort

Few light sprinkles of rain this afternoon and some big shunts in the support races. Sat on turn 9 again and looking at the sky, I reckon it'll be a dry start..

20 mins to go and it feels like rain is imminent..... All are starting on slicks it appears, could be very interesting!

I wonder if Webber is going to publicly criticise himself after criticising Hamilton in the past for his driving? ;)

Superb race. Even if it got a bit static towards the end, there was the anticipation that something could happen, because faster cars on fresher tyres were closing on slower cars on worn tyres. And yet, the non-stopping guys took the places. Take note FIA, seriously, take note.

Muddytalker said:
Superb race. Even if it got a bit static towards the end, there was the anticipation that something could happen, because faster cars on fresher tyres were closing on slower cars on worn tyres. And yet, the non-stopping guys took the places. Take note FIA, seriously, take note.
Precisely.

The anticipation is all part of the excitement.
It's like a 0-0 draw in football, doesn't mean it was a boring match.

We can only hope they ditch the stupid tyre rules sooner rather than later.

F1 boring? I think not! :thumbsup:

However I think being able to complete a race distance on the soft tyre and set those kind of times is a bit of a problem. The tyres are just too good. :s

snowy said:
However I think being able to complete a race distance on the soft tyre and set those kind of times is a bit of a problem. The tyres are just too good. :s
True, and (as I think Brogan mentioned on Chat) let's not forget that the rain played a part in the excitement. I do not think having the first race of the season in Bahrain gave us a true picture of how the new configuration will work. Unfortunately, neither did having a wet start in Australia.

I wouldn't use Button as an example to show that the tyres are too strong because I think he managed his perfectly, including staying in clean air after the flurry of pit stops. But the Ferraris also went the distance so you're right. Unfortunately, Bridgestone are not interested in contributing to improving "the show" in their final year.

Great race

Great drive from Lewis and you won't hear me say this often but did anyone else notice Alonso? Last to 4th and could have been 3rd - also a cracking drive.

Speshal said:
Great race

Great drive from Lewis and you won't hear me say this often but did anyone else notice Alonso? Last to 4th and could have been 3rd - also a cracking drive.

Yeah, he did well but I thought he might have got past Massa, so +1 to Massa for putting up a good fight.
Michael was right behind Alonso after they 1st pitted, what happened to him?

Muddytalker said:

Fernando embarrassing Michael! What ever next? :embarrassed:

Muddytalker said:

He was behind Alguersuari, and he thinks the new young guys are really fast (not joking, that’s what he said to the German TV). LOL

I did say last season when there was talk of him coming back that at 40+ years of age he would find it hard going.

Dear Mr Ecclestone,

I represent a group of companies that do cloud seeding, we can make it rain, wherever and whenever you want, cloud cover permitting, please let us know if you wish to confirm your order for Malaysia by Tuesday at the latest and we will get the wheels in motion (pun intended)

Yours

Spesh

Back
Top Bottom