200th Topic - Your Favourite Season

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Simple question and is bound to depend on your age. So, here are my favourite seasons and the reasons why:

I had a passing interest in F1 in 1979 but didn't watch it serioulsy until 1980 when Alan Jones won a fantastic championship and will always have a great affection for this seaon.

1982 was a very unpredictable year and had some great races but the shadow the death of Gilles Villeneuve hangs over this year so, as good as it was, has some very sad memories.

So, to my favourite season - 1996, Damon Hill's year. As much as the Williams was the class car that season the joy I think the whole nation felt at Damon winning the title will always stay with me, especially Murray's famous "and I've got a lump in my throat" commentary in Japan as Hill crossed the line. Hill always came across as such a bloody nice bloke I can't imagine anyone resented him the championship that season; I still don't think I've completely forgiven Frank Williams for not letting Damon defend his title in '97 though.

Probably the season when Mansell lost his tyres on just about the last corner of the race.

Even got beers in to stay up and watch it at silly o'clock in the morning.

However, age showing here, most of the early 70/80/90's seasons before F1 went really all computer.....

Loved the time when development was at its' height, mayby misty eyed, but the reasonably unrestricted period when teams (including privateers) could get one over the money was better IMVHO.

Take care

TMF

I really started paying attention to F1 from about 83 onwards. I don't think I can really put my finger on just one season all though I do have a massive fondness for the Senna at Lotus years (85,86,87). I really enjoyed the 86 season with Mansell and his tyres.

I thought 92 was a great season becasue after a few poor years it really looked like Lotus were about to turn a corner. I was at the British GP in 92 and must have been the only fan on that section of banking with a Team Lotus flag in my hand every one else was a Mansell fan. It was also fun to watch Damon Hill chugging around in the Brabham.

I missed most of the 96 season because I was away with work but was so pleased that Hill took the title.

It was good to see Mika H take both his titles in the late 90s especially as he proved himself against Schumacher.

All in all I would say I can't think of a stand out season for me it's stand out races or stand out moments.

A bit of a cop out I'm sorry but there you go.

As a young gun on the forum, the best season for a while has been the 1999 season. Most of the races were good, except of course Spain and Hungary, a surprise underdog was challenging for the title, Stewart and Jordan genuinely competed with McLaren and Ferrari. Good moments included the Wall of Champions Legend, Mika's Italian tantrums, the French GP(!), the European GP, Salo in Germany and Villenuve in the wall every week. Bad moments include Schu's shoe pains (sorry), that arse-up in Malaysia (where Ferrari broke the rules and got away with it, rien ca change).

We even had quasi-interesting GPs at Imola and Monte Carlo, as well as DC taking on Mika at Austria and Belgium!

Tbf, 2007 & '08 have been pretty darn good!

Worst years, 2002 and 2004! How bad were they? I should have probably enjoyed the maestro at his best, but it was far too easy!

I always will treasure the memory of watching my portable TV in my bedroom as a spotty teenager, a recently acquired luxury!, watching "our Nige" blow his tyres. :popcorn:

I also remember him being "helped" out of the car at the end of most races! :snigger: (How did that pass FIA regulations?.... Was there any regulations back then..? :s )

After that, it'll have to be Senna being majestic and prost being French, Patrese being Patrese, Jean Alesi being enigmatic,
Berger being stoic (although appantly he was a gert laugh) and Johnny Herbert being good old Johnny!

Aahh, the memories....... :tumbleweed:

McZiderRed said:
I always will treasure the memory of watching my portable TV in my bedroom as a spotty teenager, a recently acquired luxury!, watching "our Nige" blow his tyres. :popcorn:

I also remember him being "helped" out of the car at the end of most races! :snigger: (How did that pass FIA regulations?.... Was there any regulations back then..? :s )

After that, it'll have to be Senna being majestic and prost being French, Patrese being Patrese, Jean Alesi being enigmatic,
Berger being stoic (although appantly he was a gert laugh) and Johnny Herbert being good old Johnny!

Aahh, the memories....... :tumbleweed:

It wasn't Prost's fault he was French... The advantage of having Mansell driving for you was that you never missed the minimum weight! 1992 was a pretty good year for our friend Nige!

How about 1963 anyway - 10 races, 10 British race wins, 9 in British cars with British entries!

Every Green-Car Patriots favourite F1 year!
!

teabagyokel said:
How about 1963 anyway - 10 races, 10 British race wins, 9 in British cars with British entries!

Every Green-Car Patriots favourite F1 year!

Hmmm.... I was alive in '63 but not old enough to remember watching F1. The first season I remember at all was 1976 and supporting James Hunt, so that has to be one of my faves. Also, as others have said, any season where Schubacca was beaten was good any season where he walked it in the best car with a teammate who always had rubbish strategies and even then still had to pull over and let him past was very very bad.

Back
Top Bottom