1997 European Grand Prix

mjo

Procrastinating
Contributor
The race where Schumacher and Villeneuve went head-to-head - literally. As I'm sure you all know, Schumacher tried to hit Villeneuve (in the car) but failed. Villeneuve ended up winning the championship. What's also notable is the apparent team orders used by Mclaren to enable Hakkinen to win his first grand prix. This best coverage I could find is below as for 'technical reasons' the BBC couldn't show it in their classic f1 coverage. But what I think is more fascinating than the fascinating race is the amazing qualifying session.

I love the way the announcer says Schumacher. Amazing qualifying session how do they figure out who gets to start where? Also some of the scenery at the track is incredible.

Schumi would easily of won this if they didn't come together schumi didn't hit him
And that was an awesome qualy, I don't think that will ever happen again

Schumi would easily of won this if they didn't come together schumi didn't hit him
And that was an awesome qualy, I don't think that will ever happen again

If Schumacher hadn't hit him, Villeneuve would have disappeared up the road. The Williams was the quicker car that weekend, "for sure".

Yeah no way MSC would have stayed ahead of JV. Don't see how you can say that he would have "easily" won the race. JV was more than a second quicker just before the crash. As weird as it sounds, trying to take JV out was his only chance of securing that WDC...

Well, he could have taken the conventional, defensive inside line approaching the corner, but JV came from so far back it was difficult for Michael to anticipate the move.

I was trying to say that MSC would never have stayed in front of JV until the end of the race, because Jos said MSC would have easily won the race...
But Galahad you're right he could have stayed in front for this corner had he anticipated the move...

Back
Top Bottom