Windows 8

ExtremeNinja If I'm reading your post correctly you are trying to update from window 8 to windows 8.1 if this true the first thing you have to make sure of is that you have installed all of the windows 8 updates.

Last edited:
Nope. I have Windows 8.1. I am trying the latest major update to 8.1 which is described here: http://mashable.com/2014/04/02/microsoft-announces-windows-8-1-update/

Following the steps I have just described, I have just got this error, which you will recognise, I hope.

error.png

Okay ExtremeNinja try doing this, do not do a factory reset unless you absolutely have to and anyway you will probably run into the same problem if you did.

Download the offline installers from here

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42335

Delete the qmgr*.dat files.

CMD (run as administrator)

Code:
Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat"
Scan Windows system components

Code:
sfc /scannow
Remove KB2919355 package

Code:
dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_KB2919355~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.1.14
Clean up the WinSxS folder

Code:
dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup /resetbase
Clean up disk with system files remove

Code:
cleanmgr.exe
Restart your computer

Run the offline installer

Code:
Windows8.1-KB2919355-x64.msu

I can't guarantee anything but it's worth a try and it won't do any harm.

Last edited:
The only thing antivirus programs are good for is slowing down your internet connection, end of.
As a recent (forced) convert from XP to 8.1, there must be a lot I don't know. Can you explain please? I have always been super careful to always have an up to date AV program. I used F Secure for years and have now put Norton on my new PC. I know tons of things have changed in the billion years since XP was first launched but where does the protection come from now if you don't have AV?

I quite like 8.1 now that I am used to it. My $400 touchscreen AMD A6 4GB laptop is a damn sight better than the £2,000 desktop I bought in 2007. I also just upgraded my wife's laptop from XP to 8.1 and it too seems to have a new lease of life with the new O/S.

jez101 For one thing Norton is a very aggressive antivirus program and will delete .exe files that you actually want without even asking you, the worst one I have found up to now is Eset nod32 antivirus this program will at times virtually cause your internet to crawl along at a snails pace even if you have a 60MB connection speed as I have.

Viruses can only enter your computer if you download them and run them they mostly arrive in emails the other things are trojans or malware, which are different to viruses a virus wants to corrupt you computer malware wants to spy on you.

Most antivirus programs do not prevent malware from entering your computer and can be useless in that respect, the best thing you can do to protect yourself is be careful what you download and have a decent firewall, also you can protect yourself with a decent malware program I personally use Malwarebytes I have the full version as it gives real time protection but there is a free version available you can download it from here.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

If you want to keep Norton that's fine a malware program will run along side it without any problems..

Edit

And as others have said windows defender on window 8 is perfectly capable of protecting you against viruses.

Last edited:
Sort of off topic but following up on the antivirus stuff; in all the years I have been using a computer (think ZX81), I have never had an antivirus program installed.

None of my PCs have ever been infected with anything, ever.

Thanks Meph. I think for me, given that my PC is also used by my kids occasionally, having the extra backup of an AV program is not a bad idea. I will investigate Malwarebytes!

CMD (run as administrator)

Code:
Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat"

I get an error that the files are in use and can't be deleted. Do i need to quit an application through task manager or start windows in SafeMode or something, do you think?

Last edited:
Oops yeah sorry ExtremeNinja You need to stop the BITS service and the windows update service. type these commands into the CMD promt.

Code:
net stop bits
And then.

Code:
net stop wuauserv

Last edited:
I've noticed that apps appear as items on the desktop taskbar since the update! Brings us closer back to the world where the desktop was the centrepiece and not just another app! I like it.

The start screen is much better than the start menu in my opinion so it annoys me when there are reports of it being dropped for Windows 9. It's also the fastest version of Windows to date I think. The problem with it is the integration with the apps isn't quite right, It tries to force you to use some apps that have less functionality and are more difficult to use than the desktop versions.

I see what Microsoft are trying to do but it's not quite there yet. Whenever they make a major change to a piece of their software they always get ridiculed but then when the next, slightly refined, version comes out everyone decides they love it.

ExtremeNinja Not sure if you've been successful in the download yet, but if not...

My dad owns a Samsung laptop and he had problems with it a few months ago. He was advised to make sure he'd downloaded all the Samsung updates, as this can cause problems if they are not up to date...

From the top right-hand corner of the desktop, do a search for SW Update, then download and install all the Samsung updates. Then re-try the Windows update.

I'm not sure if this will help, but thought I'd share the info...

Last edited:
What a pain in the arse this is turning out to be. This is what I have just sent to Samsung qasupport.

Me to Samsung said:
Hi,

Model: 900x4d-A01UK
Serial: HUKU91GC800080T

I am trying to install the latest update to Windows 8.1. and it keeps
failing telling me that components are missing. The instruction after
trying many other methods is to refresh my windows installation. I then try
to do this with the Samsung Recovery which fails and tells me that my
computer is not supported by the current version. I then run SW update
which fails to install the latest version of recovery. So I then go to the
Samsung websitem register my product and download Recovery for manual
install. This again fails and gives me the following error: "The version of
the recovery partition is lower than the installation version. Recovery
does not support upgrading from lower versions. the installation will now
be cancelled".

I think I have tried everything that I can be reasonably expected to do
now. What next? Please help. This is causing me a lot of pain.

Ouch. So SWupdate bricked my laptop. I can't start it now.

"BOOTMNGR is missing"

Off to the Samsung service center for me, at this point. :(

Don't worry. It's Samsung to blame. I then try recovery with the preinstalled Samsung Recovery 5 software and it informs me that "Samsung Recovery 5 is not compatible with this computer".

Well, that's just bonkers. I need to get my screen casing replaced anyway, so a trip to the Samsung Service Center was inevitable.

Back
Top Bottom