The 2013 Season

This tire "test" saga has illustrated very vividly just how nonsensical it is to have the no-testing situation we have now.

Allowing teams to test after a couple of Grands Prix of their choosing just makes TOO MUCH sense!

Although Vettel and Red Bull have won 3 in a row, and likely 4, they haven't dominated in the same way Schumacher and Ferrari did in the early noughties. Somehow it still seems inevitable though, even if they win both in the second to last or last race. Strange innit?

Although Vettel and Red Bull have won 3 in a row, and likely 4, they haven't dominated in the same way Schumacher and Ferrari did in the early noughties. Somehow it still seems inevitable though, even if they win both in the second to last or last race. Strange innit?

It's getting to be about as tedious though! Darn you Adrian Newey - why couldn't you have done this in the early 2000s with McLaren?

Only 2011 was Schumacher style domination really, 2010 and 2012 could have swung every which way, so far it's starting to lean towards 2011 although Alonso was at the same stage this time last year

Have I mentioned that the 2013 Schedule is complete rubbish. We have to wait 3 weeks for the European "summer series" to start on June 30 in Silverstone, with Hockenheim right behind that. Then wait another 3 weeks for Hungary, before waiting a full month for Spa, by which time it's September. It's basically 4 races in 3 months.

Suits me fine.

I won't be tied to the PC this summer, updating the site every two weeks, for the first time in 5 years :)

It is a pretty weird calender it has to be said but I think thats all down to the Valencia drop out really. Its messed up the GP2 stuff as well.

GP3 have an independent round this weekend though if you need a racing fix.

It's also worth of mention that European races have been quite stable on the positions during the calendar year. The amount of European races have been decreasing whole time, which has led to bigger gaps.

Barcelona early May
Monaco late May
Britain early July (after dropping of France sometimes late June as well)
Germany late July (although this year earlier)
Hungary late July/early August
Belgium late August/early September
Italy early-to-mid September

Just looking at the 2005 calendar, there were 10 European races plus Istanbul which is just on the Asian side but well reachable with team trucks.

There were 20 weeks between races in Imola and Spa. There were two North American rounds in the middle.

This year there are 17 weeks between Barcelona and Monza. That's actually the same gap those races had eight years ago, as Barcelona was held two weeks after Imola and Monza one week before Spa.

Thanks for the link, F1ang-o

It's a bit thin on content though, coming as it does from an F1 technical guru. I have long since abandoned reading other forums so I can't comment on them, but anyone who has been contributing to and reading the myriad of conversations on CTA will have heard all of that already, and more. Where is the insider insight that we should expect from someone who is undoubtedly paid quite well to keep us informed?

Maybe Anderson is just being careful to be uncontentious, who knows. At any rate his review could just as well be in the non-news thread. What I would like to read from Anderson is more detail with regard to those things that we are not privy to, particularly on the technical front since that is his area of expertise.

Maybe I should give him the benefit of the doubt and view that piece as an intro' in the hope that there is more to come.

Fenderman
Everything seems to be getting dumbed down...(not just F1)
But F1 TV viewing figures this year are down,....... even though there is more TV coverage.

Last week a TV interview with John McGuiness after his TT podium...he said he has never seen so many spectators at the IOM course....
Course that is proper racing........

He may be a nice enough bloke but I don't expect anything useful on the technical front from Benson. Thinking about it, I don't expect anything particularly useful from him period. The reason I expect more from Gary Anderson is because of his senior engineering background in F1. I've been no closer to F1 than my couch yet even I have been able to make reasonable observations with regard to technical issues. I may not always be right but since my couch set up is the sum total of my F1 experience I think I'm entitled to be a total berk time to time.:D

Back
Top Bottom