FIA Technical Directive 15: Use of exhaust blown gasses to be restricted (or not, as the case may be)

It really is a case of the FIA closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. All the teams have spent vast fortunes on this area already. If they hope to slow Red Bull down then they will be very disappointed indeed as the Red Bull's advantage comes from the flexible front wing and any number of other devices and is not dependent upon the overrun.

McLaren certainly won't have instigated this ruling since they have also been investing heavily in this area for the past 12 months.

It is yet another example of the DDD/F-Duct syndrome, once everyone has spent a fortune catching up, they ban it. Please pardon my French but the FIA are really ****ed up.

Apparently Technical Directive 15 was sent to all teams last week.

Exhaust blowing is no longer allowed.

I didn't realise the rules were allowed to be changed mid season in this manner, unless it was on safety grounds or due to a breach of the current rules?

I am rather confused by this.My understanding was that apart from safety rule changes any other immediate rule changes were subject to a 70% vote in favour from FOTA members.

On a seperate note, how the hell can the FIA police this one.

Surprised no one has mentioned Renault yet.

They have the most extreme exhaust solution. And the engine/exhaust note under deceleration is extremely flatulent. I would think they are going to be seriously affected by this ruling.

Indeed Keke, I meant to include them in my earlier post.

So much for reducing costs, etc.
It really is farcical.

I would like to have to keep that car on the track when the curtain of air under the car vanishes. :givemestrength:

From a safety point of view it's a nightmare since all these cars have been designed or evolved to have constant hot air gluing them to the ground.

Hm....seems very very strange.

Air a moving device?

Doesn't seem like any team moaned...because they are all developing a lot in this area...but then again they could have as a safe bet.

Red Bull and Renault will be effected by this a lot...

Can't say I am too happy with the decision....as it does not make much sense.

I suspect it will be done via the SECU.

The SECU does not write the engine mapping programmes.It is merely a standard limited capability ECU.
The teams still write their own engine mapping programmes.Currently they can fit about six different engine maps into the unit.

I will be very interested to hear what the GPDA have to say about this.
It downright dangerous in my opinion.

By all accounts, Red Bull some teams had the throttle wide open under braking.

Expect a lot of running in free practice this weekend as the various teams try to find the correct set up without being able to do this.

On one of the above forums which Snowy linked, someone was suggesting that the diffuser wouldnt be so effective due to the severe rake angle (contrary to what Keke has just posted :s)

ould be a few reds flying in FP1 if the incentive is to keep the throttle open in the corner! The more you risk the more you gain, sounds good. I also look forward to seeing how Merc get on now.

So because they're still allowing that 10% throttle input even under braking, that means that teams will still have an EBD, it's just far less effective?

There is yet another negative aspect to this. :( The downforce generated by the EBD has been helping cars stay on the track in breaking zones and through turns. Without it the cars are more likely to be more sensitive to the wake of the car in front. Where previously we have seen overtaking outside the DRS zone it seems less likely we will see cars being able to hang on once they have closed the gap. It's a no brainer.

Back
Top Bottom