Site Suggestions & Updates

In an effort to make the post content more prominent and reduce the clutter related to the meta controls (Like, Quote, etc.) and signature, I have reduced the opacity of the latter to 20% unless the post is hovered over.

This is just an experiment so I'd be interested to hear feedback.

I thought I had a problem with my settings until I hovered.
I don't like it, people add that stuff because they want it to be read.

I only ever scroll with the mouse off to the side, so I don't see any flickering issues.

Feedback received though, I'll see if I can come up with some other way of making the post content more prominent.
As it currently is, I find the signal to noise ratio a bit low when there are very short posts.

In the meantime, normal service has resumed.

Have started using the ignore feature. I was really sceptical about it and didn't really want to use it on some made up instinctive moral grounds or some other ghost influence I couldn't get a handle on. It's actually very useful if there is a particular individual that niggles at you. I hope that's not me. ;)

1st post for a while! My laptop went to the big computer shop in the sky followed shortly by my phone. I've now got one of them new fangled iPhone things so far browsing using the inbuilt browser hasn't been that great.

On another site I use they have something called tapatalk which makes forum use a doodle. Is there anything similar available on this site or in the pipeline.

There are both Tapatalk and Forumrunner app's available, but they both have bugs unfortunately so I haven't installed them.

It's hoped that there will be a dedicated mobile style later in the year, which should provide a better experience than using an app'.

That will be good, for now expect plenty of spelling and grammatical errors as my fat fingers struggle to cope with the little keys.

Would you consider a menu pinned to the browser?
Code:
.sorryonipadcantseeclassname-menu-container {
position: fixed;
top: 0;
}

( I have bad RSI and carpal-tunnel )

There are a couple of problems with that.
First is that the header is actually at the bottom of the page, it is moved to the top using CSS, so that simple bit of code isn't quite enough to do that, it would also require some additional work to get it to all play nicely.

Second is that I loathe fixed headers and it makes the page less usable as a lot of vertical space is taken up by it. If it was a relatively thin bar then it wouldn't be so much of an issue, but it's 140 pixels which is a significant proportion of most screens.

Check out the pinterest iPhone app. They have a really clever solution which you cold emulate with a little bit of JavaScript. When you scroll upwards, the menu appears at the top of the viewport. Just the menu, not the full header. When you scroll down it the disappears.

Yeah, someone has already done that on another XenForo site.

I still don't like it though, I hate stuff which stalks you down the page.

P.S. You know Pinterest is a site for girls? What are you doing on there? ;)

I'm afraid I don't pay any attention to that sort of stuff.
This is only supposed to be a hobby and I just don't have the time to incorporate stuff like that.

Even if I did, it falls down on the first hurdle for this site anyway, which is that the width must be fixed to be able to control the layout and design. Which is why we don't even have a fluid width.
It's really no different to something like http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ in that respect.

BBC news now. I'd not think BBC News of the future though. Other than time and effort there are no real constraints but I do appreciate that you don't have much of that. Time that is of course.

As a practitioner I'm obviously a big advocate of User-Experience-first principals, which are beginning to prevail above all other facets of building a successful online product. You'll probably find that over the next 12 months responsive themes will be contributed and made available on xenforo. I'm half tempted to take a look at it tomorrow in the office and see if I can't get a client to sponsor it.

Back
Top Bottom