Formula E News and General Discussion Thread

Vandoorne is an ex F1 driver, he will just be a Formula E and possibly Le Man's driver unless he goes over the pond, he's had his chance, was highly rated and failed to live up to it in F1.
I stand by my statement FB Surtees was lucky in his WDC year, Andretti was imported into the fastest F1 car, got no other WDC's and didn't shine in F1 once he changed teams, Prost, a political animal similar to Alonso but kept it under the horizon, it was well known Hill was consistently quicker but Renault wanted a French driver with a French engine to win theWDC

1662543394607.png

The latest on the runners and riders for 2023:

Team (2022 team)PowertrainDrivers
McLaren (Mercedes)NissanTBA. Rene Rast
TBA. TBA
Maserati (Venturi)Maserati48. Edoardo Mortara
22. Maximilian Guenther
TecheetahTBATBA. TBA
TBA. TBA
JaguarJaguar9. Mitch Evans
10. Sam Bird
EnvisionJaguar37. Nick Cassidy
38. Sebastien Buemi
AndrettiPorsche36. Andre Lotterer
27. Jake Dennis
PorschePorsche13. Antonio Felix da Costa
94. Pascal Wehrlein
MahindraMahindra11. Lucas Di Grassi
30. Oliver Rowland
NissanNissanTBA. Norman Nato
TBA. Sacha Fenestraz
Nio 333Nio 3337. Sergio Sette Camara
33. Dan Ticktum
DS Penske (Dragon Penske)DSTBA. Stoffel Vandoorne
TBA. Jean-Eric Vergne
Abt (new)Mahindra4. Robin Frijns
TBA. Nico Müller

is this year that Evans or bird finally win the 1st world title. as with techeetah leaving & mercedes thats the last 5 constructors champions gone. last 3 drivers champions on the grid are in cars that last year finish 7th & last in constructors

yeah it might be tricky as i was looking on wikipedia & this was edited version of 2022 broadcasters, it looks like you are right cider_and_toast they do show it themselves but only in countries without a TV deal. maybe Red Flag Redemption you'll seemingly see the 2 american races but maybe try a VPN if you have to a country with that doesnt broadcast or to uk to watch our broadcast when channel 4 put it on youtube

temp 1.png

yeah it might be tricky as i was looking on wikipedia & this was edited version of 2022 broadcasters, it looks like you are right cider_and_toast they do show it themselves but only in countries without a TV deal. maybe Red Flag Redemption you'll seemingly see the 2 american races but maybe try a VPN if you have to a country with that doesnt broadcast or to uk to watch our broadcast when channel 4 put it on youtube

View attachment 16142
Oh awesome! Thank you!

There is a VPN that begins with the letter E that seems to allow access to many non encrypted TV apps, in the case of All4 it will download to any Android device but possibly not AndroidTV which is a different format.

Formula E is beginning this weekend in case like me, id completely forgotten as im not used to having motorsport seasons beginning in mid January. with qualifying at 3.30pm on 14th January & the Race at 7.30pm.

its the 1st race of the Gen 3 era. & there are plenty of changes to go with it
  • The cars will now be powered by 2 powertrains, with the 2nd one now on the rear axle, increasing the maximum power output from 250kW to 600kW.
  • Will be the smallest & lightest car ever used in the championship, with 2023 weight being reduced by 60kg compared to 2022.
  • Tyre supplier has changed from Michelin to Hankook.
  • Fanboost has also been removed for this season
  • The 45 minute +1 lap races have stopped as they have decided to return to a set number of laps instead. with safety cars & full course cautions increasing the laps needed to finish the race
  • Reigning Teams & Drivers champion Mercedes, wont be defending there titles. after McLaren took over the entry after their decision to leave
  • Venturi are now Maserati
  • Nissan E.dams are now Nissan
  • ABT are back but without Audi. use Mahindra powertrains.
  • DS Techeetah announced the end of their relationship after 4 seasons. after DS partnered up with Penske instead.
  • Which means the 3 time drivers champions & 2 time constructors champions wont be participating & that means with Audi, E.dams, Mercedes all gone unless Nio333 win the teams or Sérgio Sette Câmara or Dan Ticktum wins the drivers title. there will be a team winning their 1st title this season
  • Alexander Sims, Oliver Turvey, Nyck de Vries & Antonio Giovinazzi have all left the series
  • Vandoorne & Vergne joined the newly formed DS Penske partnership, (Formerly Dragon Penske)
  • Buemi has moved From Nissan (Nissan E.dams) to Envision Racing (Virgin Envision)
  • Lotterer left Porsche to join Andretti
  • Di grassi has left Maserati (Venturi) to join Mahindra
  • & Da Costa has joined Porsche
this is great F1 preview by channel 4 for everything ive probably missed

here are links for the races as unfortunately they wont be broadcast on UK TV, unless you have eurosport but YouTube instead as Channel 4 would rather broadcast Escape to the chateau & 25yr old film mission impossible

Dennis dominant drive. brilliant in qualifying, brilliant in the race. he was having the dream afternoon under consuming & still pulling away from the field. with potentially the best power unit on the grid with 3 of top 4 powered by Porsche

Hughes can consider himself unlucky, could've had 2nd on debut if he couldve found a way to overtake di grassi, but maybe lack of experience v 9 years of experience. & then di grassi got pole then spent 41 laps of defending. likely showed that he massively outperformed his Mahindra car in qualifying. as he was over consuming, at 1 point 3% lower than others, despite dennis & eventually wehrlein pulling away with ease at 0.5/0.75 a lap once they found a way past

biggest Surprise, as disappointment too harsh a word DS Penske & Jaguar 4 of the best Formula E drivers on the grid. all anonymous this weekend. none made it in duals, Bird qualified last & retired early on. Evans Vergne & Vandoorne were stuck in the midfield hardly doing much

like most opening races of the season your left with more questions than answers. was dennis a 1 off because of di grassis very good defensive driving. when we get the faster cars that were held back, what could happen. it has happened 1st race of Gen 2, BMW andretti domination on debut, look country mile ahead of everyone. but never won again & only finished 6th in championship.

Last edited:
I was very disappointed with the formula e opener for a range of reasons.

Firstly, I don’t get why the entire circus went to Mexico for one day of running. Surely, with such an environmentally costly freight, the circus could have run for 2 days?

Secondly, I thought that this was the season we were supposed to have pit stops returning. From what I’ve read, this is being rolled out at a small number of events - but surely a race with F1 standard pits would be the perfect place to run the system? (I guess the tech wasn’t ready)

Thirdly, overtaking is really really difficult. Di grassi effectively managed To hold on to third, despite the fact that he was much much slower, by effectively driving very slowly around the hairpin, where overtaking was impossible.

There were also too many safety cars, and they went on for too long.

Perhaps one race of Gen 3 it's too soon to be critical, but it wasn't great compared to other events. Also, what's the deal with the blue LED's? I thought they were supposed to be on when the cars were running Attack Mode, but some cars just seemed to have them on all the time.

Back
Top Bottom