New Horizons: Voyage to Pluto.

It does, doesn't it? That may give some insight into the formation of the feature - possibly something for further exploration in the future?

[

Goes without saying but UK members should remember they're six hours behind us.

-----------------------------

Actually forget I said that. I don't even know whether NASA TV is even located anywhere near NASA's headquarters so just rely on the old GMT for TV schedules.

New Horizon takes one last look at the side of Pluto it will not be able to "see" during the flyby on Tuesday. Shame we will probably never in our lifetime get a better look at those weird evenly-spaced dark spots on this side of the planet.

nh-pluto-7-11-15.jpg

-----------------------------

Actually forget I said that. I don't even know whether NASA TV is even located anywhere near NASA's headquarters so just rely on the old GMT for TV schedules.

Closest approach is around midday Tuesday in the UK.

As I understand it for the really exciting stuff it's a question of whether we in the UK are willing to stay up until about one in the morning on tuesday night for the really exciting stuff. Closest approach is schedules at 12:49 british time but the probe will lose contact while it's recording data.

Also they made some slight changes to Nasa TV's schedule:

Updated Television Coverage, Media Activities for Pluto Flyby

Remember they are five hours behind us (and yes I did check this time ; ) )

The way understand it is the probe does not transmit whilst recording images. That is in fact what caused the crash last week. So it will take lots of photos going past. Then once recorded and compressed, transmit the images to earth.

From that schedule The approach photo release will be on nasa tv at 9am USA time 2pm UK time

The closest approach photos Wednesday 3pm USA time 8pm UK time.

From that schedule The approach photo release will be on nasa tv at 9am USA time 2pm UK time

The closest approach photos Wednesday 3pm USA time 8pm UK time.

--------------------------------------

Are you sure about that? There's actually very little detail on NASA TV's schedule about what they're actually broadcasting between the hours of 1PM (local time) and 8:30PM. Just shows a big gap in between, apparently just filled with Pluto documentaries but nothing on any new images, until the probe is due to make contact again.

If you know of a more detailed schedule would you mind posting a link?

Are you sure about that?

No.

Just from the tv schedule link you posted. UK is 5 hours ahead of times below.

Wednesday, July 15
Noon to 3 p.m. – Interview Opportunities (no NASA TV coverage)

Informal group briefings and availability for one-on-one interviews. An updated schedule will be posted in the New Horizons Media Center. Media may call into the media center for phone interviews during newsroom hours.

3 to 4 p.m. – Media Briefing: Seeing Pluto in a New Light; live on NASA TV

Release of close-up images of Pluto’s surface and moons, along with initial science team reactions.

Last edited:
I suspect what the featureless seas are made of will be one of the first questions they try and answer. Exotic ice (to cold for water?) or possibly volcanic flows are my guess. Maybe the close orbit of Charon is enough to generate heat in Plutos core causing vocanic erruptions or ice geysers?

Honestly, I suspect it is likely to be exotic ice, but I think your guess about ice geysers as a result of Charon's mass and close orbit with Pluto offers fascinating possibilities, especially with regards to existence of extreme lifeforms on Pluto. I can't wait to hear more from NASA on their findings.

Maybe the close orbit of Charon is enough to generate heat in Plutos core causing vocanic erruptions or ice geysers?

-------------------------------

That's a very pertinent point Greenlantern101 . Pluto and Charon are so close to each other but the fact they are mutually tidally locked together make them unique in the solar system. What makes them unique is that the friction they exert on each other isn't evenly spread through rotation, it exerts itself in an unchanging and mutual direction. Where does the energy created go and how?

I'm just wondering if we'll see Mickey Mouse?

Another superb deep space mission that unfortunately hammers another nail in the manned space flight coffin. That is at least until we can shorten long distance space flight journey times.

Back
Top Bottom