Mercedes and Ferrari in 'secret' Pirelli tyre tests

But it was done with and old car, carried out by Pirelli not Ferrari and it didn't use any Ferrari drivers and was sanctioned by the FIA.

All Ferrari did was supply Pirelli with a 2011 car and a few mechanics to get it started they had no access to any data..It isn't the same thing at all..

Another interesting story -
http://adamcooperf1.com/2013/05/27/paul-hembery-post-race-test-a-dream-for-pirelli/

This whole situation is so strange I'm starting to think there may be more to this than meets the eye. Could it be Mercedes were being given a chance by the powers that be to catch up to improve the show? It's a pretty unlikely conspiracy theory of course but I've always wondered if other 'stage management' goes on in the background.

So Pirelli said that Mercedes gained nothing from the test, but Hembery says that Mercedes did gain information from the test.

in retrospect is an interesting insight into why the Barcelona session was so useful for Pirelli – and one has to assume Mercedes as well.

This just gets better and better doesn't it? It's just one ****ing lie after another and Mercedes are looking more and more guilty by the second.

There was a telling clue in Sebastian Vettel's interview with Sky Sports News on Sunday night in which the World Champion described himself as "the second person" to learn of the test. It's unconfirmed at present, but it's believed that one of the two Mercedes drivers may have let the 'secret' out in Saturday night's drivers' briefing.
:thinking:
That is very, very interesting. One of Mercedes drivers was daft enough to blab about a secret test in the drivers' briefing...

Either that or Pedro de la Rosa has been intercepting their e-mails!

Very interesting Brogan I'm none the wiser but still it does explain how Lewis could have taken part it also looks like one of the drivers let the cat out of the bag by telling Vettel about it my guess would be Nico Rosberg.

Another thing is the penalties that could be awarded.

What might those penalties be?
They range from a heavy fine to stripping both the Mercedes team and their drivers of points with an outright expulsion from the championship the most severe - but very unlikely - outcome.

:thinking:
That is very, very interesting. One of Mercedes drivers was daft enough to blab about a secret test in the drivers' briefing...
That would suggest that the drivers knew it was a secret and if it were a secret what were they hiding, this snippet of information makes the situation worse not better...

So now we know that the test went from Wednesday- Friday.... Hamilton was in the US from 13th-16th, so if he was involved, then it would only be on the final day, which was an extension to the test because of rain (apparently!).

My guess is that the timeline went something like this:

1. Rosberg was informed about the secret test, but told to keep it quiet.
2. It rains on the second day, leading to an extension
3. Rosberg had a pre-arranged event on the Friday, leading to Hamilton being called up to Barcelona when he returned to Europe
4. Hamilton was not told to keep it secret (as he hadn't originally meant to have been involved).. So lets slip in drivers briefing...

Why does this make any sense as a timeline? Well, the rules of doing something that you want to keep secret- keep as few people informed as possible!

It would make sense for Mercedes not to try and win in Canada, otherwise if they do then it'll strengthen the argument that they gained from testing. So not only will all teams drive deliberately slow to protect their tyres as they have done all season, but also one team will be driving deliberately slower still so as not to raise suspicion. It doesn't bode well for a classic race!

I find it likely that the FIA knew this test was going to occur and would turn a blind eye unless it became exposed. It was indeed inquired about. And the presence of a factory team at Catalunya for an extra week would hardly go unnoticed by an FIA representative, no? The penalty, or lack thereof may indicate if this may be the case.

Vettel's quote does nothing to indicate he heard from a Merc driver, does it?

Ah, the classic F1 controversy. A litany of mixed messages, contradictory explanations, accusation, denial and hearsay all nicely interweaved with conspiratorial elements and characters, then capped off with an inquisition by the (deep breath in) "International Tribunal" (deep breath out). Oh well, it'll be fun while it lasts.

Something occurs to me.

Pirelli have no contract for next season as yet, indeed, they have stated that it is getting late in the day to agree a contract, so in essence, they were testing tyres which they may never get to use. Another nail in the Pirelli coffin for 2014?

Back
Top Bottom