Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

Like Damon said if they don't get to grips with this years car how the hell are they going understand what went wrong and ensure they don't have the same problems next year.

Anyway everything that I have read points to them developing this years pig....

Personally, I think they are too far off this year, and moving to next, whilst bring forward carryover developments would be a good move.

What was good to see was a big name moving in to McLaren for a change, although there is a long way to go. A shake up of the McLaren technical teams, at least an injection of fresh blood would be a good thing.

Now all they need to do is to lose the shadow of Ron which looms large over everything that is done at the MTC, I believe that even more so after seeing the red bull factory.

Don't think Mclaren have a choice because seriously they can't win the world title(s) and don;t really look like winning races either

:givemestrength::disappointed: Lets say some people in the team have a lot of explaining to do and convincing for next year

If they have any "radical" ideas to try on next year's car, they should now try them on this year's car since they are going nowhere. That might give them a jump on everybody else (I hope).

I just hope that this year's dismal performance doesn't cost them too many sponsors.

As the saying goes, a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. No team in their right minds would've thrown away the car McLaren had at the end of last year in favour of a new one simply because it had better development potential.

siffert_fan By using new ideas on the current car they lose the element of surprise and any jump they might otherwise gain on the competition.

Not necessarily. There are lots of "radical" ideas that would not be noticeable to even the not-so-casual observer. Anything contained within the bodywork would not be readily apparent, and F1 teams aren't in habit of "undressing" their cars where others might see.

Whatever they do, understanding why this years car was such a dog, especially considering the decision they took to go down the radical route, is paramount. Maybe the new chappy from Sauber can help on that front?

Gary Anderson has pointed out they need a visionary like Adrian Newey who would have ideas or areas to go into and develop before anyone else does

Gary has a point Mclaren seems to exhaust too many things and maybe they over complicated things

Tim Goss/ Jonathan Neal had better outline the team design direction more closely next year ... I feel the problems caused by Paddy Lowe has not helped their cause but someone has to be able to take the baton and move on from this season just as long it is not Sam Michael

But they don't. They proved last season that they don't. They proved many times that they can have innovative ideas. but they do not seem to be able to tie everything together for a concerted attack on anything at the moment,

So the guy from Sauber is on his way to Mclaren and the Sauber has a rep for being one of the easiest cars on its tyres. We saw Perez being very effective with them and we know thats how Jenson likes it. Is the idea to design a car round the style of the drivers they have?

The Pits

I agree they seem to have up and down periods where they are really strong and then absolultely off the pace

I do wonder if the engineering team set up is not right because the ideas they have they don't seem to maintain their advantage consistently

They need to focus on a few areas rather look at everything

Back
Top Bottom