Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

As a counterpoint to FB's "Mr. Nice" role and continuing in my "Mr. Nasty" role, if anyone fails to heed these general guidelines then action will be taken against their account, to restore the harmony and professionalism back to the site.

This applies to all threads, not just this one.

For too long the situation has been allowed to deteriorate to the detriment of the site.

I realise I myself can sometimes be too much of a Hamilton fan, I'm very pro Hamilton and quick to jump in on the defense when criticism occurs, especially on the subject of killing tyres which I'm still not convinced about. But I like to think I'm not a blind fanboy, I was higly critical of his 2011 performance (which I don't think was tyres) and for doing silly things at monza like crashing into Massa and crashing out of 3rd on the last lap.

But overall I'm a massive fan and I do think he is the most exciting driver on the grid. Last year hardly a race went by when he wasn't making more headlines than the finger even if not for the right reasons (but not tyres).

On the subject of tyre management and Hamilton, I would be interested to hear your views, as you may have taken from my previous post I'm a little doubtful of the general theory that he shreds them.

This comment is not a Ham V But argument

Lets look at all his Pirelli races, my memory of Malaysia and India is just not there so bear with me for there,
This is about if he kills his tyres by driving on them not about tactics hence Hungary, no tyre issues

Melbourne: podium
Malaysia: 1 of 2 races I am unsure about but I do think he had tyre issued this time
China: podium
Turkey: 1st lap mistake down into traffic, beats teammate, no real tyre issues
Spain: podium
Monaco: bad luck in quali, penalties and crashing, but no tyres problems
Canada: crashed out, not tyre issues
Valencia: beat teammate, no tyre issues
silverstone: was on track for podium, but fuel mistake by team, no tyre problems
Germany: podium
Hungary: spun, and was on wrong tyres but no trye issues
Spa: crashed out, not tyre issues
Monza: was stuck behind Schumacher, as soon as he was passed he started closing on Alonso and set the fastest lap on the last lap, no tyre issues
Singapore: broken wing and drive through penalty but no tyre issues
Japan: yeah he seemed to have tyre issues here
Korea: podium
India: grid penalty and crash, can't remember If he had tyre issues
Abu Dhabi: podium
Brazil: gear box failiure, don't think he had tyre issues but not sure

Melbourne: podium
Malaysia: podium
China: podium
Bahrain: held in pitstops for ages by McLaren, tyre issues not worse than teammates

Making his 2011 season a result of crashing, penalties, and sheer bad luck all mixed together, but apart from about 3 races max not about killing tyres. And this year he has so far been brilliant. Button is supposed to be the best at tyres and they were the same in the only race Hamilton has not made the podium this year.

downforce
This is not a criticism, but there are multiple ways you can look after tyres than just "killing" them- after the 'final' stops in Bahrain, Hamilton started very quickly on the tyres, and didn't seem to have quite the pace of Button when button's tyre failed... But at the beginning of the stint, there was no doubt that Hamilton was faster.... Judging which of these strategies is going to be faster overall does take a little bit of thought!

Lewis is reported to have bought a bespoke Zonda (£1.6m) He's the second person to buy one, the first a business man in south Africa.You can designate the name badge on the back, his is 760LH He's also asked for manual transmision. Lewis spokesman declined to comment as Lewis is discreet about his private cars and just likes to praise the mercedes ones hes given from their engine supplier.
The car will have a V12 engine with 750bhp, it does 0-62 in 3secs, top speed 225mph. It's a road going variant of the track only Zonda R -but with more power.

Shame Jenson has sold his Veyron, Top Gear could have organised a race between the two of them.

I think he's being diplomatic since the cars he praises are the ones given to him by mercedes.The Mercedes GL 4x4 or E-class saloon. I bet its no contest which car he prefers to drive.:D

I just heard Lewis radio to his pits to say his gears are too long. Interestingly at this race last year he argued with his engineer for a longer 7th gear and was over-riden and then couldnt attack Vettel for the win. I hope they can sort his gears to his liking for the race.

Hamilton must wonder now whether McLaren are the team which will help him to further championships.

They threw away a 19 point lead in 2007 when all they needed was 1 point, but refused to bring him in for tyres in China.
A dreadful qualifying strategy at Brazil in 2008 very nearly saw them lose it again.
Now this year he's had late pit stops, staying out on old tyres, fumbled wheel changes and now excluded for being under fuelled by the team.

I wonder where he can look though for a drive next year?
Ferrari and Red Bull are obviously out so that leaves Mercedes and possibly Renault Lotus.

The other teams on the grid must be laughing there socks off at how Lewis Hamilton is doing his best to throw the championship away already.

Back
Top Bottom