Technical Formula One Steering Wheels

The benefit of being in 3 dimensions in a plane/helicopter is that you generally don't have to follow a track.

Take that premise to the logical conclusion and you'd have the monocle used by Apache pilots (this does involve teaching your brain to separate hemispherical logic which is not easy)

equip_apache_pilot_410px.jpg

Just been having a nose around the McLaren website and found this on their latest steering wheel. Here's an example of some of the things the drivers get up too whilst whizzing about:

This has about 50 different settings which allow adjustments to all manner of things. Just one example is the ability to adjust how the readouts on the steering’s display are laid out.

In order to flick through so many settings efficiently, the steering wheel features +10 and +1 buttons, which are coloured green and are located on either side in the top corners. These allow the driver to flick to the setting which the pit wall has instructed him to as quickly as possible, for example to get to setting 43, a driver would have to press the +10 button four times, then press the +1 button three times.

http://mclaren.com/page/our-2011-spec-steering-wheel-2

I thought it might be interesting to post some images of F1 steering wheels.

I'll start us off with this.

Renault 2011
View attachment 2400
View attachment 2401

Hmm, a BP OK button? Didn't they pollute the Gulf of Mexico? What is it, a vote? A BO button? Should have thought of that before putting on the overalls....

A Box button? Fnnaaar!!!!!....

There are a few more Viz moments. Dry, wet, scar - I hope that's not a reference to Niki.

Fail - speaks for itself.

Clut - is that the Mark Webber switch?

Bias - the switch that annoys everyone on every forum when things don't go McLaren's way?

Oh, and look, there are 2 switches pointing to 1, to remind everyone they're being blown into the weeds by Vettel......

There's more, the big red PR button, for use when you put your foot in your gob and need bailing out....

I have however noticed a manufacturing error. The orange button on the left should read +10 and -5. This is for Tonio. 10 places gained, followed by a 5 place grid penalty ( the most pathetic and pointless penalty of all time).

The R button is a legacy from Nigel trying to fit in the McLaren - it means retire, to be used with the exit switch.

Almost missed one - Aero - Kimi's fave icecream.....

DRS and KERS are operated by buttons not paddles. Hmm I wonder which team was the first to think of pit to car radio? I guess McLaren seeing as how innovative they used to be...

I think Ferrari have actually got 8 paddles (or that might be Red Bull).

I did read what the additional paddles were for a short while ago, but I've forgotten now...

Back
Top Bottom