F1 rule change 2017

I was going to say that Formula E doesn't have Jacques Villeneuve any more but Grizzly beat me to it.

i was reading the bbc article about better tyres & for 1st time in a long while that i fully agree with Bernie Ecclestone after he has backed both drivers & GPDA president Alex Wurz for stickier & higher performance tyres, that 1 of the biggest criticism of f1 racing at the moment is that its very tyre limited & annoys fans greatly when drivers are told completely opposite & to not attack/overtake to save the tyres line in china, can you imagine that in any other sport football telling striker not to score in the 1st half so he got a better chance in the last 10 mins. or alastair cook telling james anderson do you mind not getting the batsmen out because in 45 mins the stats say we've a better chance

we need to reduce dirty air & make sure the drivers are able to push on limit for 20 laps because think of the great races recently like britain, hungary are when drivers throw caution to the wind & attack

Your analogy about Football and Cricket is not correct though. There is no tactical advantage in doing those things. A better analogy would be to talk about boxing. It's exactly the same as Muhammad Ali using his 'Rope a Dope' tactic against George Foreman. Ali conserved his strength in the early rounds letting Foreman swing his best shots, and once he'd sapped all his energy, Ali came back at him hard and dropped Foreman to the canvas in the 8th.

You either come out hard and put a big enough gap on your opponent in the early laps or you hold back, stay in touch and then hit him at the end when his tyres are gone. (well that's the theory anyway).

While I think that the tyres have become a little too sensitive, we've had rock hard durable tyres in the past and I don't recall drivers 100% on it every lap using those either.

Last edited:
Sticky tyres do not enhance the sport's entertainment. If you think:
  1. F1 is for driver over car, for the best of the best. Well, we need to test their skill driving on worn tyres then.
  2. F1 is about balls-out, aggressive driving. Senna in Monaco in 1988. There is no balls-out driving when grip is perfect - and Red Bull may well be nearly there.
  3. F1 is about strategy. Then there needs to be variables. Refuelling is shit, so tyres it is.
  4. F1 is about racing. Sticky tyres = more grip = less variation in strategy = less potential differences between cars out on the track = zero actual racing.
Unless you see F1 being about the fastest possible cars circulating with scarcely a challenge to drivers and thus processional racing, sticky tyres are a loser. If so, 1992 and 2004 must be the best years ever!

How can a halo be a closed cockpit when it isn't closed. It's an ugly and ineffective idea.

The only thing that offers true protection is a fully enclosed cockpit. Anything else is pointless.

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 12.12.32.png Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 12.12.39.png

This may be a little harsh but if you drive under a tractor in an F1 car neither a plexi glass dome or that hideous halo thing is going to help.

So we have two incidents in how many years (20?) where one cockpit type would have avoided an injury and one wouldn't. If we are going down this road, enclosed wheels would prevent cars from tangling and flipping them over or firing them in to the air. There doesn't seem to be much of a push for that although there have been far more incidents of that kind over the last few years.

I just can't wait for the first car to flip over. I'd need to give it a good look but I'd bet good money that this idea (either closed cockpit or halo) would have been more of a danger to drivers jammed in flipped cars than it would save in other accidents.

Whilst I'm on a roll moaning about things to do with safety, there must be more accidents as a result of bits of carbon fibre left on the track causing punctures than anything else. Why don't the FIA insist that the front wings (at least) are made of metal so that this problem is avoided?

Those enclosed cockpits look claustrophobic.

Why don't the FIA insist that the front wings (at least) are made of metal so that this problem is avoided?
Or at least put brushes on them,and dustpans on the rear wings.
:)

Back
Top Bottom