Poll DRS - Your opinions on it now

Do you like DRS now?

• Total voters
As I have said before, I would first off, greatly reduce the size of the monstrosity front wings, with a corresponding reduction in the size of the rear wing as well. If that doesn't reduce the aero problems with regard to overtaking, I would give each driver a tank with 3 kilos of nitrous, which the driver can use at any time of his own choice. No replenishing of the gas will be allowed during the race.

I watched the 2005 Australian GP recently on YouTube, and, maybe it's just because I was a bit bored, but even without overtaking that race was exciting. Why? Because there were so many more options with strategy. Now, everyone starts on options, does a quarter of the race, pits, does another quarter. pits, does another quarter, pits, does the final quarter of the race. Very little chance for people to over-achieve through clever strategy in their cars. For me, I'd like to see 2009 again. The huge number of different cars and drivers who won, more options for strategy, and no artificial overtaking. Just my opinion though... :whistle:

If you think about it the way to get past slower cars was simply sit behind out of the dirty air and then blitz them during the pitstop phases which became the norm under the refuelling era and therefore no one bothered to pass

the drivers do not have an excuse not to pass with a device to make up the lost grip unless you're driving a tortoise like the Red Bull down the straight

------------

It is the application of where they put the overtaking zones which does spoil things between races like pointless places like Barcelona , Monaco and Hungary has not done much to change the race spectacle

Whereas the traditional procession races like Valencia - thank goodness for the DRS
--------------------------------

Also were people happy that both Webber and Alonso in 2010 title battle because of botched pit stops had their whole race compromised behind a slightly slower car ? or would they rather see them racing at the front for the title ?

I've never been a fan of it so voted no but it looks like its here to stay. I've said it before, the one change I would make is to limit the number of operations in a race. The FIA could look at the average number of operations per car per race and then set that as a limit. I never really had a problem with the unlimited use of it in qually.

F1 had a chronic problem with lack of overtaking before. DRS was the somewhat bodged quick fix to resolve the problem, and in those terms it has been very successful. After three years, though, it feels past time that consideration was given to solving the underlying causes of the issue and ultimately allowing passing to be possible without DRS. Single-plane front and rear wings, with free driver adjustment to the rear, coupled with the more effective "boost" options available in the powertrain from next season, would seem the simplest answer, but there may be unforeseen consequences.

I've never been against DRS just the way it has been implemented.
It should always have been a driver aid; free to be used whenever and wherever it helped (including defending a position).
If the car left the track it would be the drivers fault.
If he got overtaken it would be the drivers fault.
It would reward judgement and car control.

My understanding is that when it is open the emphasis shifts to mechanical grip; which is what many of us have been arguing for.
In the longer term I agree with Galahad's preference for restricting wing design.
I don't see how you can restrict / control dirty air in a way that is both measurable and enforcable.
I'm also in favour of more tyre manufacturers and letting their competition throw more variables into the mix.

So DON'T KNOW because I don't like the way it is but would like the way it could be...

An era of F1 dominated by refuelling and singularly dull racing, 2010! The ban on refuelling introduced, one lousy race in Bahrain, umpteen fantastic races, massive increase in overtaking, great overtakes and duels. 2011, the knee jerk reaction to Bahrain takes precedence over all the subsequent obvious improvements brought about by just banning refuelling.

One outstanding season followed by another era of numbnut racing. :(

The FIA are incapable of rectifying the root problem of the pre-DRS/pre-CURSE/pre-disinte-Pirelli dearth of overtaking because they are loath to admit to any wrongdoing. Ever. They reckon they were virgin-born and shall remain sinless unto death.

There are many parallels between the survival of a business (or a racing league) and any living species. For example, all three must adapt in response to environmental pressures or they will perish. But those pressures inevitably always change over time, and a species' odds of survival can be undone either by inability to adapt quickly enough, or by old adaptations gone too far afield of present needs. So specialization in particular is a two-edged sword because never will there be any guarantee that those specializations which assured your survival today won't be the death of you tomorrow.

Speaking strictly of motor racing sports, no racing venue ever can have completely natural evolution because of the nature of the beast. Certain boundaries and barriers are part and parcel to establishing each venue's own unique formula. Past that, however, I have to agree with H.D. Thoreau, "That government is best which governs least."

Also in my view, the F1 car has gone far, far, far too far down a path of specialization that has too little to do with natural selection (or automotive developments in general) and too much to do with the FIA's perpetual meddling with the TR and SR under the rubric of stewardship of the F1 brand. The cars they have "evolved" are too identical one to another, too easily damaged by light contact, and too dependent on wing-generated downforce for their cornering grip. The F1 they have built is, near as makes no difference, spec racing. All of which is "fix-able," but the first steps in the fix come in the form of 1) acknowledging the problem and 2) assessing its true cause. Except the FIA can never go to #1 because #1 implies #2, and #2 is an admission of fallibility.

Businesses (and racing venues) have one distinct advantage over the animal kingdom in that no living species consciously can recongise its plight, cast its past adrift, entirely remake itself, and embark on a new course of its own choosing. And that is precisely what I believe F1 must do if it is to endure and remain regarded as the preeminent form of motor racing on the planet.

Since the rise of El Supremo, the FIA incrementally and ceaselessly have pushed the evolution of the F1 car further and further into a direction of its own particular choosing, with little to no regard for the impact on the nature of the competition. They would appear to believe that the business of F1 is a fragile thing that must be safeguarded at all cost, while the sport of F1 is so robust and so adaptable that it can continue to thrive, regardless of what changes and challenges they might heap upon it. Or more to the point, for 30 years they have been taking the F1 fans largely for granted, banking on them being so indiscriminate (or so gullible) that they won't notice that the foie gras F1 is selling them is beginning to taste a great deal like bologna.

The 2014 formula is just another step towards the precipice because the TR are more tightly constrained than ever and the sport willingly is trading its birthright for brief approval from The New Green Religion.

Why oh why have F1 suddenly decided it must be "relevant"? When has it ever been relevant? To the contrary, motor racing in general and F1 in particular always has been about escapism. Its popularity, its very raison d'être, is rooted in its ir-relevancy, its other-worldliness, because what attracts race fans of ANY stripe to attend ANY racing event -- four wheeled, two wheeled, airborne, water-borne, two-legged or four -- is the promise of experiencing something beyond the mundanity of their daily existence.

Expecting fans to buy tickets to a race based on its relevancy is like expecting cinema-goers to pay to watch a film of people just like them, doing the same things they do, day in and day out. If you think a 30% reduction in fuel consumption is going to produce a spike in F1 ticket sales (or reduce any decline), I think you are in for a rude awakening.

I'm not suggesting F1 altogether should ignore the realities of the world around it, but there are ways to express a solidarity without materially and needlessly impacting the quality of the racing. The appropriate way to express concerns about starving children in Somalia is not to require that the drivers refrain from eating for the duration of the race weekend.

3489942r_historical_overtaking.jpg

DRS and CURSE and disinte-Pirellis are not the cure for the slump in overtaking that began around 1985, they are further symptoms of its cause.

And if you believe the level of competition has improved simply because the number of overtakes skyrocketed beginning in 2010, ...well, the facts tell a different story

List of Formula One World Drivers' Champions

2010 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull* Renault
2011 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull* Renault
2012 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull* Renault

And if you believe the level of competition has improved simply because the number of overtakes skyrocketed beginning in 2010, ...well, the facts tell a different story

List of Formula One World Drivers' Champions

2010 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull* Renault
2011 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull* Renault
2012 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull* Renault

That a team and driver can, in tandem, achieve excellence is not something that should (and indeed can) be mitigated against when a set of rules is devised.

all that will happen next season is to overtake a slower car hit the boost button instead

Do people really call that genuine overtake?

Part of it should be the skill of the driver and really in the last 20 years the best 5 overtakers I've seen

Mansell
Senna
Schumacher
Hamilton
Montoya

-----------------------

PEople seem to forget that KERS is also a factor otherwise the DRS you would just see passing in one place all the time

The KERS is dead. Long live the ERS.

Don't like that much either. Slightly, albeit questionable, environmental angle but meh in practice .

DRS and CURSE and disinte-Pirellis are not the cure for the slump in overtaking that began around 1985, they are further symptoms of its cause.

DRS wasn't introduced until 2011.

3489942r_historical_overtaking.jpg

I don't remeber any lobbying to restrict DRS use in qualifying from the drivers...
If they were that worried / scared why did they use it?

Back
Top Bottom