Ask The Apex

That was last year, a bit out-dated, however I can put that in, aswell as the KERS from 2009. But I want something from this season so I don't look out-dated.

Not the introduction of a part but the removal of it...? The EBD ban allowed Ferrari to be a pace setter at Silverstone. Another non-recent example may be the outwash front wing endplates which allowed McLaren to make a large leap up the grid when they were intoduced at Germany '09. Or without the double diffuser in 2009 Brawn would probably have won a lot less.

It's quite hard relate it to 2011 as only Red Bull and McLaren were consistently winning, with Red Bull's success derived from the evolution of the 2009 spec aero rules, with McLaren perhaps you could talk about the 'L' shaped sidepods which allowed cleaner airflow to the rear of the car.

Thanks guys! Appreciate all the examples :)

I think the EBD would be a good one, or throttle mapping. But the thing is, I am confused by it and always have been.

Is the throttle mapping what gave all the Renault/Mercedes powered teams the advantage?

The FFE is one I am hoping to put in. I think thethe exhaust upgrade that Toro Rosso brought in at Suzuka is a good one too, making them go from the last of the competitive midfielders, to one of the best.

Not sure what your asking there, as I understood it when the throttle was lifted fuel would be pumped into the exhaust/diffuser and ignited making it hotter and higher pressure, this sucked more air into through the diffuser and faster improving the downforce off throttle, the engine only did this when it wasn't using all its power for the wheels hence it being off throttle. The teams with the most aggresive engine maps used more power and fuel and so got more downforce

there is also Mercedes last year, did not use a f-duct but a more streamlined airbox, they got a more consistent advantage from that

Force india this year although not a winner, I don't believe they used EBD according to autosport, the exhaust outlet blew the top of the floor, the gas then going over the top of the floor takes the airflow that is displaced by the front of the tyre which normally goes under the floor and weakens the diffuser.
So it protects against normal downforce loss that other teams still had and effectively gained net downforce relative to others.

They started doing this mid season and thier form improved as a result, sutils did anyway

Maybe there is something in the fact that Red Bull have been using a pull rod rear suspension set up since 2009 and other teams such as McLaren only started to use it at the beginning of 2011 giving Red Bull a 2 year design advantage allowing a lower weight distribution.

Pull rod suspension may not be a new technology but it may have been significant in recent years and of some use to you.....

Didn't Toro Rosso have a double floor? Although Ferrari had this back in '92 (?)

96 was well, at least for the start of the season. I think somebody else tried it before as well but cannot remember who it was. Ferrari flopped with it, although John Barnard though it was possible to gain an advantage, yet Torro Rosso have had there strongest season since 08. An anomaly? maybe

Some bloke in the pub last night told me that Ben Edwards has been given the post as head commentator of F1 for the BBC is this true...?

If it is that is good news I think he is a great commentator..

Did Ferrari stop developing the '99 car when Schumacher broke his leg? Eddie Irvine says they did in an interview with Maurice Hamilton in the F1 Racing mag.

However, I do remember a certain update (the barge boards) coming in at Malaysia and both Ferraris got disqualified because it was apparently illegal, then legal.

If so, then I think Hakkinen is even more luckier to have won the '99 championship.

1998 as the first and last. They used the Nurburgring track, but called it "Luxemberg" as there already was a German GP and Jerez (I think)had the rights to the tile of "European GP". :)

No, it was first Luxembourg for 1997 for the reason you mention. When Jerez got the boot for 1998, they fsr kept up the Nurburgring name.

Back
Top Bottom