Poll Another stupid penalty - Messing up the Monaco Grid?

Is the grid penalty for Schumacher being applied to Monaco the most appropriate penalty?

• Yes it is the most appropriate penalty

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • No he should be fined instead

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • No he should be docked championship points

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No it was just a racing incident

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • No another penalty which does not affect the Monaco race would be more appropriate

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Schumacher already had his race messed up for colliding with Senna. They were both out as a result of his action. Some of you guys sound as if he needs to have another race messed up, because you think he enjoys crashing into people. That's just dumb.

No one said Schumi enjoys crashing into people.

EDIT: I seem to have accidentally deleted 90% of my post before posting this and then Fenders posted what I was going to say so I'll just leave it like this :p

One way of looking at this is:

It is the following drivers responsibility to avoid crashing into the rear end of the bloke in front. That's the rule on the highway and it is the rule on the track. Period. Schumi needs to suffer more than Senna, so he needs to serve a penalty. If he continues to believe that he did no wrong he will do it again.

Coincidentally, that's how I see it.:)

What I'd like to know here is why does the 1st option displayed at the top of the poll shows only 14 per cent while the column shows it to be over half the votes?... :whistle:
EDIT Ooops, forget. I misread it, my bad.

Bro-
My understanding of the concept of force majeure is inadvertant mechanical/electrical problems that bring about the stopping of the car by themselves. Lewis was TOLD to stop, he was not brought to a halt by a mechanical or electrical malfunction. Obviously McLaren knew this was the case, as they had ordered the halt, yet they claimed force majeure. How isn't that lying? (and yes, I am really confused about this).
I'm guessing that McLaren ordered the stop to comply with the 1l fuel regulation.
This, together with the, at the time, unexplained/inadvertent fuel shortage they then tried to claim as force majeur

It may help if we clarify the meaning of "force majeure". As explained earlier by another member (sorry I've forgotten who) it is commonly used as a legal term but actually is just a French way of saying "it was something beyond human control". It refers to anything such as an act of god or force of nature; an accident brought about by unforeseen circumstances; or - as in the case of technology - an unforeseen technical fault, etc.

Mclaren believe that a mistake by a crew member was "force majeure" in the sense that it was unforeseen and went unrecognised until it was too late for them to avoid the consequences. The Stewards have decided otherwise. They are at liberty to do that but woe betide the next poor sod and his team that make a similar mistake.

It should be noted that had Hamilton continued to drive until the fuel ran out or the amount left in the tank was insufficient for the 1ltr sample the consequences for the team would have been worse since he would have been disqualified from the whole event for the technical infringement of failing to provide the sample.

McLaren were caught between a rock and a hard place because of an error on the part of an individual. No more no less.

Edit: Sorry, I think this is the wrong place for this as the poll is about Schumi's penalty. I'll leave it here for the moment. I don't mind if the OP wishes.it to be deleted.

Fenderman.
There are other penalties that can be applied under the International Sporting Code either in conjuction with the Sporting regulations.Penalties applied under using the ISC can be different to the Sporting Code.
18) SANCTIONS
18.1 The stewards may inflict the penalties specifically set out in these Sporting Regulations in addition to or instead of any other penalties available to them under the Code.
For instance a time penalty under the ISC could one second or fractions of seconds or other penalty
153. Scale of penalties
Penalties may be inflicted as follows in order of increasing
severity :
− reprimand (blame);
− fines;
− time penalty;
− exclusion;
− suspension;
− disqualification.
Time penalty means a penalty expressed in minutes and/or
seconds.
Any one of the above penalties can only be inflicted after an
enquiry has been held and, in case of one of the last three, the
concerned party must be summoned to give them the opportunity
of presenting their defence.
For the FIA Formula One World Championship and the FIA
World Rally Championship, a penalty consisting of the withdrawal
of points over the whole of the Championship may be imposed.

It looked to me like Senna came back across Schumacher in the braking zone, so it was a racing incident for me, although I'm sure Hamilton has had a penalty for less in the past!

I might be wrong but wasn't the rule about not having enough fuel to get back to the pits after a quali lap put into place because Mclaren were slightly naughty in Canada last year and nicked pole with an underfil? I know on Sunday it would have made no difference to whether Hamilton was on pole or not but the phrase swings and roundabouts does come to mind.

As for Schumi - looked like pure frustration to me. Not sure about the pen but looking forward to seeing him try and pull some moves in the wet(according to Jos) at Monaco!

Brogan - Senna drifts right down the straight and then kinks left just before the collision. Schumacher seems to be trying for the outside and then tries to switch when Senna kinks left, unfortunately this seems to be when Senna is braking and therefore goes straight into the back of him. I would call this a racing incident and do not believe there should have been any other punishment, Then again, I believe the stewards at this event got a hell of a lot wrong this weekend and not just in F1.

Schumachers take on the incident.This is the part I found most interesting.Have any of us seen the "overhead shot" of the incident.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99581 "I just took a minute to watch the video and if you look at the overhead shot you can see that he moves right to defend his inside position, but in the braking phase he moves back left right in front of me," said Schumacher.

Senna admitted on interview straight after the incident that he started to move back to the left as he assumed Schumacher was going to overtake him on the right, its plain to see on the video. Senna did nothing wrong tho, but it just caught Schumacher out who reacted by trying to switch to the other side, but it was too late and had committed to out-braking him. Racing incident.

Well look on the bright side, if Michael makes it through to Q3 at Monaco perhaps he'll actually put in a flying lap instead of sitting in the garage.
The inconsistent side of using grid penalties of course is the severity of the punishment varies depending on the track it's applied to. For instance I doubt Lewis would have finished 8th had he been demoted to the back at Monaco (sincerely hoping I'm not tempting fate!!)

Id say it was even more likely he’ll stay in the pits in Q3 in Monaco now, unless he believed a front row qualifying was possible. What would be the point burning a set of tyres to qualify 4th or 5th to become 9th or 10th when he’d be 10th anyway by not running.

Back
Top Bottom