Another poor season

Enja said:
Still waiting to hear why numerous other categories of motorsport "don't count".

Spec car "racing" for me is not quite motor-racing, OK semi-spec does go to some extent, but these GP2/3 are just driver ladder series and not very good like F3.

I do watch other series when I can.

snowy said:
2] Ban blocking/defensive maneuvers.

We need this kind of controversy in F1 like we need a hole in the head:

:givemestrength: gah! I was going to mention something about Indycar earlier, with the comment that "I've only seen half the race, so don't spoil the ending please..."

My own fault for being on a motorsport forum I guess :embarrassed:

Muddytalker said:
Slightly tongue-in-cheek here, but go and see a 'Legends' race, this will give you what you want (covered wheels, small torquey motorbike engines, reverse grids); The racing is great and fun to watch, and you get several heats/races per meeting. I'm a fan, but it doesn't mean I expect to see the same thing at a premier motor racing event.

It's not a formula series, but there thing I like about it.

Formula cars with partially enclosed wheels, active clean low drag aero and torquey engines will not harm F1.
And I don't want reverse grids or several heats.

Well what started out as a few comments on the main 2010 thread has developed into an interesting discussion.
Glad it was split off now.

MajorDanby said:
F1 is what it is. Of course, everyone keeps on saying that they would prefer more overtaking, and harp on back to the 'golden era' or whatever that means.

People cite many reasons for what they say is the downfall of F1, be it lack of overtaking from tyres, aero, or track design. Most of these people don't really understand what they want, or how to achieve it. They say that they would like to see the drivers make more of an impact, but don't want a spec series.

They say they want more overtaking, but don't want it to likened to IndyCar with a thousand passes a race.

If we are honest, going back to the 80's is not feasible. We can't go back to the situation where drivers dying in the race was not unexpected, where we raced a 10 minute lap around Nordschleife through the trees, and only saw the cars at the start/finish straight.

People are very good at pointing out the deficiencies of F1, but can not really offer any suitable alternatives. I like to see a driver fighting to keep his position, not just to gain one.

The world is full of compromise, and it always will be. I always feel that people are somewhat blinkered when they look towards the past, and tend to stare at it through rose tinted glasses. "Things weren't like this back in my day".

True I suppose, but things that don't change tend to stagnate.

Would we really like to be stuck in the past? Would we like to go back there? Because getting rid of all the aerodynamics and advances made since that time, is a sure way to go about it

1] There was never any golden era.
Just some things that were better back then, and there's things that are better now (safety, reliability, wages).

2] Indycar doesn't have a thousand passes per race, some races as just as bad or worse.
And NASCAR suck for most part (1.5 cookie cutter tracks), with the COT being an aero nightmare (hence the need for restarts all the time).

You guys should stop with these cliches about american racing.

3] Aero advances ?!
The current F1 aero is stuck the 70s, pre 77/78 to be exact. Passive wings, shark fins and so forth are not new nor advanced, just more efficinent.

Ground effect and/or movable wings is the superior aerodynamic solution, and was banned by FIA because they chose power outputs from 700 hp up with high drag/ turbulence/ sensitivity aero instead of 450-500 hp and low drag efficient aero.

Formula 1 actually experienced aero devolution from 82/1983 onwards.

I would like to see a return to the circa 1969 front wing rules: single-element canard-type wings which can only extend to either the inside edge of the front tyres or correspond to the front track. This would massively reduce front grip and result in a corresponding reduction in rear downforce to keep the car in balance. In other words, mechanical grip would become vastly more important than aerodynamic downforce, thereby making cars less sensitive to loss of grip when following other cars. This should, in theory, make passing easier.

siffert_fan said:
I would like to see a return to the circa 1969 front wing rules: single-element canard-type wings which can only extend to either the inside edge of the front tyres or correspond to the front track. This would massively reduce front grip and result in a corresponding reduction in rear downforce to keep the car in balance. In other words, mechanical grip would become vastly more important than aerodynamic downforce, thereby making cars less sensitive to loss of grip when following other cars. This should, in theory, make passing easier.

The Lotus 88 and 80 had a no wings spec, just ground effects tunnels and a rear spoiler.

Why use a front wing at all ?!

Just tunnels, rear pop up spoiler and some stabilizing movable winglets.

So let me get this right, and if I have got anything wrong in my summary I'm sure you will correct me, what you are looking for is:

- Modern safety cell construction techniques
- Ground effect and/or moveable wings for a lower drag coefficient
- Lower engine power, perhaps half of the current level
- Enclosed wheels
- Electronic drive aids such as active suspension. Would you also want power steering & ABS brakes?

On brakes, do you propose to get rid of carbon brakes and replace them with something less efficient?

Also, would you want CVT transmissions, continue to allow the current flappy paddle arrangement or go back to a gated gear shift lever?

Do you allow driver adjustable engine management systems, turbo chargers (with or without boost control), diesel engines?

What about tyres? Some of the fundamental problems in modern F1 are down to the "improved" tyre technology which makes the cars stick to the track but litters the non-racing line with marbles which can't be driven on.

Would you allow refueling and/or tyre stops?

One problem I see, as others have pointed out, is to "go back" requires so many things to be dis-invented which just isn't going to happen. And, as we have seen the last two seasons, designers will test every aspect of the rule book to gain even the smallest advantage. If it's not being done on the aero front these very clever people will simply start working in other areas.

DOF_power said:
The Lotus 88 and 80 had a no wings spec, just ground effects tunnels and a rear spoiler.

The trouble was that the Lotus 80 didn't work and the type 88 wasn't given a chance to work (though I understand from what little I've been able to find out so far, that the car was a real handful and would have required a lot more development to make it competitive). Also, the Lotus 81, 87 and 92 all ran without wings at various stages of their racing lives.

The thing is that Christian Horner, in an interview with James Allen, suggested that the aerodynamics were not to the detriment of the overtaking but that is was the mechanical grip of the cars, and difficulties in taking any line other than the rubbered in racing line. Which is true I am not sure, but I think it is probably a combination of the two.

The only way this situation will be resolved I feel, is with a proper scientific investigation undertaken by the FIA, as oppose to knee jerk rules changes based on assumptions rather than data

FB said:
So let me get this right, and if I have got anything wrong in my summary I'm sure you will correct me, what you are looking for is:

- Modern safety cell construction techniques
- Ground effect and/or moveable wings for a lower drag coefficient
- Lower engine power, perhaps half of the current level
- Enclosed wheels
- Electronic drive aids such as active suspension. Would you also want power steering & ABS brakes?

Yep, but partially enclosed wheels.

On brakes, do you propose to get rid of carbon brakes and replace them with something less efficient?

Carbon-ceramic like on production supercars, not the current irrelevant carbon-carbon stuff.

Also, would you want CVT transmissions, continue to allow the current flappy paddle arrangement or go back to a gated gear shift lever?

Paddle shifters eCVT with 8 virtual gears.

Do you allow driver adjustable engine management systems, turbo chargers (with or without boost control), diesel engines?

Driver controlled, but power restricted.
Diesels, TSIs, ****els, all welcomed, preferably production based.

What about tyres? Some of the fundamental problems in modern F1 are down to the "improved" tyre technology which makes the cars stick to the track but litters the non-racing line with marbles which can't be driven on.

4 compounds fully available 1980s style. Anti marbling rules for tires (akin to safety rules).

Would you allow refueling and/or tyre stops?

Refueling allowed but not made manditory, it's up to the team and drivers.

One problem I see, as others have pointed out, is to "go back" requires so many things to be dis-invented which just isn't going to happen. And, as we have seen the last two seasons, designers will test every aspect of the rule book to gain even the smallest advantage. If it's not being done on the aero front these very clever people will simply start working in other areas.

Let's them work on other areas that are relevant and move away from expensive irrelevant ancient passive aero and passive suspensions.

cider_and_toast said:
[quote="DOF_power":1vghdlvr]The Lotus 88 and 80 had a no wings spec, just ground effects tunnels and a rear spoiler.

The trouble was that the Lotus 80 didn't work and the type 88 wasn't given a chance to work (though I understand from what little I've been able to find out so far, that the car was a real handful and would have required a lot more development to make it competitive). Also, the Lotus 81, 87 and 92 all ran without wings at various stages of their racing lives.[/quote:1vghdlvr]

The Lotus 80 worked in that it produced the downforce. But it didn't have suspensions to contain it.
With active suspension plus a pop-up spoiler this would be fixed.
But I like the idea of twin chassis design.

But I like the idea of twin chassis design.

Yeah, me too. It would have been great to see it in action and see if it would have worked. Sadly it was the right car but launched at the wrong time.

Again, an honest question for you DOF - Do you think your ideas are likely to happen?

The reason I ask is, for something to change to one's liking, there has to be an expectation and belief, or you change your desires accordingly.

For example - For my football team to become the best club side in the world, which I would love to happen, they would need to sign the best from Spain, Argentina, Brazil, Germany, etc. let's be honest, it's not going to happen, or at least not for a good few years, so to enjoy the upcoming season, I have to downscale my hope and expectations to something within range - A season where we win more often than not, putting a good unbeaten run together at some point, maybe getting into the top 3, whilst playing some attractive football. If we can sign a couple of good young players along the way, all the better. Then next year I can revise my hopes accordingly, depending on how the previous season went.

So to return to Grand Prix racing, I feel that first you need to accept where it is now (that doesn't mean like it, or think that it's the best), and develop from there. Widespread changes are not going to happen for 2011, but you can suggest where it should go given the current starting point and hope that the rulemakers and designers listen to public opinion (and don't assume that they don't take on board fan surveys, TV attendances, track attendances), and that the cars and tracks shift towards what you want. If you can't see it happening, then what is the point in then complaining that it's not what you want to see?

"Anti-marbling" rules.

Marbles have been with us since motor racing began. They are the normal result of tyre wear. The only way I can see eliminating them is for all tyres to granite-hard.

Back
Top Bottom