America and Formula One

The biggest problem for the US and F1 is not having a driver on the grid. While Rossi and Daly have decent shots of making F1 in the next few seasons, I do not see them helping build F1 in US all that much. Americans would pay more attention if a big name American driver they have heard of came over like Graham Rahal or Marco Andretti. Now, I don't think either of them would be that good in F1, but it would create some attention for the sport over here. Having a Ford or GM powered car might help, but still not as much as a big name driver.

That being said, Austin is GREAT for F1 in the United States and will help the sport grow over here. The growth will be slow, but it will get there.

A US Formula 1 team is needed, with a GREAT foreign driver and a Yank.
I know more than a few Americans who are fans of professional ice hockey, and their allegiance to a particular team mostly is tied to factors other than whether or how many Americans are on that team. I think that comes from an expectation based on the fact it did not originate as an American sport, and it rarely has had prominent American players. Much like F1. So IMHO, an American F1 team, regardless who its drivers are. would be much more likely to incite a revival of F1-ism in America than an American driver would.

I mentioned to an F1-obsessed mate of mine that Ford were considering entering the turbo engine fray, and he asked if Cosworth also were part of the Ford plan. I dug a bit and couldn't find that first scant mention of Cosworth associated the alleged return of Ford but I would hazard to guess, if they do attempt an F1 come-back, that their objective will be to link the new F1 mills to their Eco-boost line of road engines, so I doubt they'd want that advertising diluted by involving Cosworth.

If I'm right, keeping Cosworth out of the equation also would go further toward re-arousing American interests.

Given the utter fiasco of the last attempt to create an American F1 team, I don't imagine that there would be a vast queue of people wanting to give it a try. Plus look how dismally the new teams have been performing. Even less incentive to try to bring a new team into the field.

I think more of this might help with the U.S market.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=UyW8FdzH9dg&desktop_uri=/watch?v=UyW8FdzH9dg

Maybe someone should offer him a drive? In all seriousness though a Cruise F1 team would do wonders for publicity in the US and I'm sure he has the cash to invest even if its just as the name sponsor. Maybe its people like that the F1 world should be schmoozing?

As for young americans coming into F1. There are a few in the lower formulas currently other than Rossi. The most noteable ones being Conor Daly and Michael Lewis who have already tested with F1 teams but as you say unless they get lucky the drives in F1 won't open up and they'll end up in indy cars.

I wrote my post yesterday before I'd caught up with this weekends GP3 where the forementioned Conor Daly won the feature race and sits second in the championship by just 4 points. He has a better junior record than Rossi, looks pretty steady and as the son of a former F1 driver he has the backing and connections to jump up to F1. He's already had testing time with Force India. Yes the lure of Indy Car is strong with him already running in this years Indy 500 but it seems he's keen to have a go in europe and I think he'll wangle his way into F1 eventually.

Whether he'll be anything more than a midfield runner I don't know but certainly a better prospect than Scott Speed.

Daly is certainly well placed. Winning the GP3 Title would be a major coup and a big boost for the future.

If Rossi sneaks into a race seat it looks destined to be with Caterham, which isn't the greatest stepping stone in the world right now.

Back
Top Bottom