Poll 2015 Austin Race start and first turn

What do you think about HamitonVsRosberg in the first turn Austin Race?

• Hamilton acted in the rules

Votes: 19 95.0%
  • Hamilton was wrong

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

olegg

Race Winner
Many people talk about "bad Hamilton's move" in the first turn Austin GP.
Rosberg also publicly blames Hamilton.
I think that Hamilton didn't break the rules
What do you think about this episode?

and view from Hamilton and Rosberg onboard:

Last edited:
there's nothing that either (a) contravened the rules or

-------------------------------------

The one car's width rule?
I've changed my mind a bit after seeing it from that angle.because I haven't heard anything about te one car's width rule not applying at the start. He forced Nico beyond track limits when Nico was more or less level with him, never mind having hisfront-wheel's axis beyond halmilton's rear. I never heard of that rule not applying at the first corne so technically yes, Lewis did break a rule.

Last edited:
^You only have to leave a cars width if any portion of the car behind is alongside you whilst on a straight. It does not apply to any stage of the corner itself, and the rules that actually govern what is and isn't allowed during the corner are unwritten (and therefore frequently applied incorrectly, by fans and the stewards).

I've said it elsewhere on this board before, but this incident was very borderline in my opinion. Had Hamilton been ahead like in Japan then there would be no question that the move was legit. However, in this case the cars were roughly level, and if anything having watched that spectator footage Rosberg was actually ahead. Furthermore, this was not just a squeeze to the outside, Hamilton quite blatantly drove into Rosberg to force him wide.

the rules that actually govern what is and isn't allowed during the corner are unwritten (and therefore frequently applied incorrectly, by fans and the stewards).

--------------------------------------------------

It's probably true that th rule is badly worded and its implications when the vars reach the corner can actually become self-contradictory.

If someone did that to me in online racing, there's no doubt I'd be calling them a jumped-up truck driver who might be more comfortable in NASCAR. As far as I'm concerned, it was a a bit of a dive, and Hamilton didn't turn to avoid a collision.

Its not that uncommon, after a start, to see someone misjudge breaking when the tyres are cold and the car is full of fuel (Didn't Rosberg do it to Hamilton at the beginning of the 2014 Canda F1 race); add in the wet track and it is possible it may have been an overly ambitious move. At the end of the day we don't have the telemetry and we were unfortunately not sitting in the drivers seat to judge if he had enough grip to apply more steering lock without spinning it, which could well have collected both cars ending both their races.

Why are we talking about this when in the end it was Nico's mistake that handed Hamilton the win? Sure, it was a forceful move, but fair play to Nico for avoiding contact and keeping his race alive.

11-1 in the vote, i never knew rosberg was a member on here

but as i said on gp discussion page that, nico just annoyed with himself that he lost the title this yr & today, if he hadnt taken too much kerb & gifted lewis win/title then nico wouldnt have even mentioned the 1st corner. also that 1st corner was a lottery no running on for anyone on anything other than heavy wets. So in the drying conditions for everyone was basically pick a braking point & hope it sticks. so shouldnt be a surprise that lewis + 5/6 other drivers overshot the corner

38.1 "Incident" means any occurrence or series of occurrences involving one or more drivers, or any action by any driver, which is reported to the stewards by the race director (or noted by the stewards and subsequently investigated) which :

e) Forced a driver off the track.

What the FIA Sporting Rules say is:

"38.1 "Incident" means any occurrence or series of occurrences involving one or more drivers, or any action by any driver, which is reported to the stewards by the race director (or noted by the stewards and subsequently investigated) which :
e) Forced a driver off the track."

This does not seem too vague. If Hamilton forced Rosberg off the track then he should have had a penalty unless he gave the place back. Had Hamilton given the place back then it would have been even more interesting with both Mercedes drivers needing to work harder in conditions which seemed to suit Rosberg.

I'm not entirely sure I ticked the right box as I don't think Lewis was within the strict rules but I considered the following:
1 - the stewards rarely punish first corner incidents if they don't lead to a retirement and the drivers know that
2 - all the cars were running in the dry for the first time at Austin this year so braking points etc. were somewhat of an unknown
3 - Lewis knew with Seb hotter on his heels if Nico din't yield and hit Lewis (or let Lewis hit him) Nico would be in hot water with the team

So sorry Nico but you were always onto a loser there once Lewis was alongside.

As has been mentioned before Nico did get his first position back but the unforced error cost hime the race not the first corner incident.

I think if you have the inside line and are at least pretty much alongside, then the corner is yours . Whether that was the case is perhaps marginal.
But when you add in, that the stewards have said they will be extremely lenient with incidents on the opening lap.
The track was wet, The drivers Hadnt driven those conditions, turning the wheel too much could cause a spin.
With that then what were the stewards to do?
Nico has tried hanging it out on the outside of Lewis before, it doesn't work.

I think if you have the inside line and are at least pretty much alongside, then the corner is yours ....

It is the duty of any driver who is overtaking to do so safely, this includes the leaving room for the driver you are overtaking to remain on the circuit regardless of any inside or outside line. If a driver is not in a position to do this then they should back off sufficiently to enable them to do so.

If the drivers were driving for different teams , what the result have been different?

I would say a certain red coloured team seem to get these decisions going their way for it

The incident did not trigger a multi car pile up which probably would have made a difference.. If we still had no run offs and gravel traps with half the field wiped out ala Hockenheim 94 then things might be different

Back
Top Bottom