Things ... 2015 - 2016 Silly Season. The Drivers Market.

Colin Chapman and Frank Williams saw something in Mansell that others could not despite the endless car failures, and accidents and no consistent form to show he was worthy of a top drive

Perez got the seat at McLaren which some think it was down to because he had money from sponsors to pay for McLaren's engines and there is no way he was supposedly the best of the 3 options McLaren had to pick

Mansell had no money so if he did not deliver he was most certainly out of F1 going by today's expectations

I would suggest that Mansell was almost equal to Senna, though Senna had the breaks, but Senna drove his cars with skill, the ultimate belief he was invincible and luck, Mansell drove with skill and a knowledge of his cars ultimate limit, hence Mansell retired and Senna's luck ran out

Mansell was nowhere near Senna's level. Senna was closely matched with Prost and de Angelis, both of whom significantly outperformed Mansell as team mates. Mansell was also outscored by both Piquet and Rosberg, the latter of whom was also significantly outperformed by Prost. Mansell was fortunate enough to spend 3 seasons in extremely dominant cars, but only converted 1 of those into an actual title.

An opinion you are entitled to, however not mine, after all, no one can touch the sainted Senna , and really he just didn't have it when compared to Clark. That was a different era and can't really be compared

In the argument for and against Mansell which was covered a while ago on Autosport or F1 Racing

For by motor racing editor Mark Hughes for his racing spirit and ability to go to wheel to wheel and pull off some unbelievable moves including on Senna

Against by his former manager Peter Warr who had a frosty relationship with him and felt his whining was a source of irritation and deflection of his own limited ability. He also felt that De Angelis outperformed him and when Senna replaced him he thought Ayrton was much better
----------------------------------------------

I will say that Mansell made up the gang of 4 in the 80's that won more than 10 races in the 1980's but he was only able to do it because he was given the chance at Williams

This article sums James Allen up for me "several teams are still to confirm their 2016 line up" then he lists the 3 that haven't. Thats 3 which is pushing it with the 'several' line. Why not say "three teams are yet to confirm their 2016 driver line up"? Well that wouldn't get people excited about the nothing that he's actually writing about.

Why not just say -

"we're not sure who's replacing Grosjean at Enstone, the Manor seats are up for grabs and Haas haven't confirmed Gutteriez yet but they will in Mexico. Other than that its as was which is making it increasingly more difficukt for me to make a living sprouting rumours"

Nailed it.

RasputinLives

Several in English does mean more than 1 . Lets see not get worked about using the correct grammar. Well I think he actually to come to think of it also meant Red Bull and Toro Rosso because if they are staying then they will have the 4 drivers currently but until then Max Verstappen could take Kyvat's place which just wont go away

As for the other seats we know Gutierrez would be good for Haas , Ferrari and any potential Mexican sponsors but his potential is still questionable so with the Red Bull and Toro Rosso situation it might be Ferrari suddenly want Verstappen or Sainz in the other car as well

Incidentally Mclaren and K Mag will part end of the season so appears he is his own man now with regards to his future and getting an F1 drive and it will probably mean Van Doorne will be reserve driver.

I think Ocon will be Force India reserve but Wehrlein I question whether he is actually good enough for F1 seeing that the quality of opposition in DTM and the weight ballast penalty obscures how competitive the series really is. The previous round all the Mercedes drivers apparently simply moved out of the way for him rather than race him as was promised that would happen

Funny how Maldonado apparently is requesting Lotus/ Renault sign an experienced teammate when i) the man himself has done 4 seasons of F1

ii) Does he feel that Van Doorne will wipe the floor off him if he was chosen?

iii) Both Vergne and Palmer have F1 experience but neither have been racing this year

I just think he's a sloppy journalist.

I think its a lot of speculation over nothing at the moment. Its the most stable driver market with seen in years. Manor are pretty much set to go with Wehlain and Rossi. Gutteriez has been signed for Haas for months and I don't think the Red Bull teams will switch round drivers with all performing well.

Which basically leaves the Enstone seat which, as the team is not even going to call itself Renault next year, is going to be a building year for whoever it is (hopefully Vandoorne).

I just think we're getti g a lot of column inches by journalist who have run out of steam on the subject. There is a lot to talk about in F1 at the moment but drivers market isn't one of them.

RasputinLives

You say that but this Red Bull situation is what is holding up things I feel . I mean I know Ron has said it but we know Alonso has walked out of contracts and he was not confirmed when Button was.

Mercedes keep saying that Manor are not obliged to take Wehrlein who I am not sure is really that good seeing he has got 4 teammates helping him win or Ocon.

I'd rather read what James Allen is writing than the tosh Daniel Johnson keeps writing about to discredit Jenson Button

Alonso was confirmed for three years at the end of last year so why restate it this year? I feel Il_leone that you are letting your dislike of Alonso to blind yourself about what normally happens.

Could you also tell me which year(s) Alonso walked away from his contract?

Bill Boddy
Well he's done it twice

2007 when he signed for 3 years to 2009 when Ron Dennis said the contract was water tight and he actually left without paying a penny

2014 when he said he would finish his career at Ferrari and it was up to 2016

So Fernando has history depending on his mood.

Didn't Ferrari and Alonso terminate under mutal agreement?

In other news my job haven't confirmed me for working here in 2016. I have a permanent contract but they haven't confirmed me so it could mean they are replacing me or I'm walking out. ;)

RasputinLives I'll make an exception that the latin temperament makes Alonso do things in a moment of madness and act irrationally

As for Ferrari and Alonso - mutual agreement it maybe but he still walked out on his contact

Its not walking out if a team wants you out.

I can't see you going on about Kimi walking out on his Ferrari contract the first time round for instances.

By the way are you saying that all Spanish people are irrational?

RasputinLives Maybe I should say walking out on his contract

Alonso sort of mirrors Prost's career in that it always ends badly for him.

I am not saying all Spanish people are irrational but Alonso tends to get irrational and act in a moment of madness. Maybe its a latin temperament thing

Now you come to Kimi - he did not walk out he was basically replaced for under performing

I hate the phrase 'latin temperament'. I think its amazingly patronising and colonial. Lets not equate a personality trait to an entire race of people.

You can say Alonso is irrational. I'll disagree with you if you do because I think Alonso is very planned with all he does. Plus by your definition every single person ever leaving a job ever to go to another job is 'walking out on their contract'. Maybe we all have 'latin temperament'.

ALonso joked about the latin temperament himself when asked about his commitment to Mclaren being misunderstood. I can only think of Montoya and Alesi who did something mad and irrational and will use latin temperament

I thought when people sign a contract of employment they are suppose to commit to them. It depends how people leave their job .. I don't think Alonso was paid off which was unlike Raikkonen

Il_leone , Heath Department guidelines include a clear warning that circular debates on internet forums may induce "dizziness and repetitive behaviour".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom