Pre-Season 2012 New Car Images & Discussion

HRT have just released images of their 2012 challenger....

platypus-swimming-australian-plastic-f1095.jpg

Do you really expect that nose to turn up at Valencia/Melbourne? It is very likely that that is an interim nose.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, and I'm usually am. The step effect is created on the monocoque and not the nose cone itself. The Monocoque has to be homolgated and cannot changed through out the season. So no stepped nose Mclaren :cheer:
all of a sudden i've become a McLaren fan hehe.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, and I'm usually am. The step effect is created on the monocoque and not the nose cone itself. The Monocoque has to be homolgated and cannot changed through out the season. So no stepped nose Mclaren :cheer:
all of a sudden i've become a McLaren fan hehe.
You are not mistaken but with a proviso,, it can be changed (Mercedes 2010) but it will have to pass the crash tests again...

It certainly is becoming noticable that front wing design is becoming rather similar, both Force India's and Ferrai's front wings seemed to have evolved into what Red Bull have pioneered, but of course seeing as Red Bull are miles in front it's not unusual for their ideas to be copied.

Whatever happend to that double Ferrari/McLaren floor?

I suppose the brakes work at a lot higher temperature than exhaust gases are so the only benefit would be to try and keep the temperatures up on the straights and to warm them up initially.

just a guess..

Well after Caterham's launch and the gasps and sniggers, we had McLaren were we believed normality returned, this ruse of duck Billed noses was a myth a joke to get us F1 fans stirring......

Hell No......Uglyville population has now increased to 3 with Force India and I can't believe I'm saying it Ferrari join the growing township.

Dear God, these cars are ugly damn ugly, imagine this sport on Sky HD in 3D, stand back from the screen or you'll end up with black eyes!

The Aero boffins must be doing something with the undersize of the nose to counteract this uglyness! Surely the air will just go straight up, ermmm can I ask a few maybe daft questions:

1) Will the top left & right hand corners of these Duck Bill section not cause vortices and obscure the drivers view (see attached McLaren picture below)?
2) I assume they have tested these cars in the rain to see what the Duck Bill bit does for the drivers sight, this isn't going to throw up a solid screen of water is it?
3) My best one - Thinking laterally, could the Tip vortex (think that's what it's called) caused by the Duck Bill not actually suck the drivers head towards the nose as the air is reversed?
Line2.gif

Attachments

• vortices.jpg
    vortices.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 68
F1 cars stopped looking pretty a long time ago. Don't really car as long as they're quick and reliable. I've never seen two cars more different than one another than the Ferrari and McLaren, in almost every detail. You'd have to believe with all their resources there's more than one way to skin a cat and hopefully they're both right and have designed very quick cars. It's going to be hugely disappointing if one of them has got it completely wrong, and very embarrassing for the team concerned if that were the case.

canis......"the flat step must produce some fairly large interference with the natural flow of the air."
I think they've got a wind tunnel to measure such things. :snigger:

I am glad that at least the Mclaren looks different from the other cars we have seen so far this season. Of course there are risks with going down the road less traveled. However, it is refreshing to see diversity on the cars. Obviously F1 cars have always had small differences in design, but this is clear to see. I am hoping for a closely contended season that keeps us guess the whole way through.

I love this time of year, so many questions and hopes for every team. I'd love to see a midfield team make some huge gains and challenge for podiums if not wins.

Back
Top Bottom