Grand Prix 2011 Korean Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Party time has officially begun... if you are Red Bull anyway

So, its now over, Sebastian Vettel is the 2011 world champion after finishing third behind Fernando Alonso and winner Jenson Button. Vettel is not only the youngest ever world champion, but the youngest person to defend his championship after walking to the championship with (so far) a podium in every race bar one and a phenomenal record in qualifying with pole in near enough every single race.

The RB7 has no doubt been the best car of the season and has been night and day quicker than anything else on wheels. Adrian Newey must now be known as the scourge of F1 as he has designed yet another car that has won the championship but surely this has to be one of if not the best car he has ever designed as the RB7 doesn't have the fragility that has struck Newey designed cars.

For Mclaren they have finally found the winning formula again after winning a track that everyone thought Red Bull would walk, however , like in 2010 and 2009, it has come too late and has cost them a shot at the title, but Mclaren really have been Red Bulls only consistent challenger this year due to the surprise lack of speed from the Ferraris.

It hasn't been a great season for Ferrari, in pre season all the signs pointed towards a very strong year for the Scuderia, but it was apparent early on that they were only the third fastest team behind Mclaren (whose pre season was shocking in comparison). After an early season shuffle and because of new regulations they were able to win in Silverstone but that has been the only highlight for Fernando Alonso and as for Massa it has been even worse.

Going into Korea we go into the real unknown as it is unclear who has the best package suited to Korea as the only race we've had at the circuit was severely rain affected so it should be a jump into the darkness, although it will be an even bigger jump when we go to India in the not too distant future.

So congratulations Seb, who is starting to rewrite the record books almost with the ease that Schumacher did in his pomp. Eight world championships for Seb by the time he's finished?

For Galahads brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/korean-international-circuit/

Something is going on behind the scenes. The whole mood of that press conference was subdued and it seemed very short. I know they don't stay with it very long, but still ...

I saw the rest on SPEED and Will Buxton asked Lewis one more question about "all his disappointments this year" and the crux of his reply was that he hoped to "redeem himself" a little bit tomorrow.

I'm glad to see Lewis take this Pole in stride, as I'm sure he knows the hardest part is yet to come.

That was a hell of a lot of fun for me though, and an entirely worthy reason to be up and about at 2:30 AM for.

edit -

having to do an extra lap

You're right steve, it's imperative for Hamilton to pit first, and from the lead tomorrow. He need's to be able to control this race. It's gonna be tough though.

tomorrow it is so important to be on the clean side of the track due to no running on the other side pretty in the whole tracks history. vettel and webber should drop places and button and rosberg should really benefit

An absolute brilliant performance from Lewis today during qualifying, and his onboard of his pole lap was a joy to watch.:D

Regarding Vettel.....will he be called before the stewards, because of deliberately leaving the race track, in a rush to get back to the pits, and be penalized?

An absolute brilliant performance from Lewis today during qualifying, and his onboard of his pole lap was a joy to watch.:D

Regarding Vettel.....will he be called before the stewards, because of deliberately leaving the race track, in a rush to get back to the pits, and be penalized?
No, drivers are allowed to use escape roads in qualifying, it's just those laps won't be classified and therefore on an in-lap it's fine.

Didn't actually seems to be in much of a rush either? Not according to what i saw and what coulthard said about split times (although that may need to be taken with a pinch of salt)

Didn't actually seems to be in much of a rush either? Not according to what i saw and what coulthard said about split times (although that may need to be taken with a pinch of salt)

No he had a reasonable amount of time. But if the last race in Suzuka showed us anything it's that anything can happen in qualifying and Vettel didn't want to end up like Hamilton did. Smart move in the end as he had nothing to lose.

Yeah that was sort of the pooint (should of add that) No advantage there anyway.
Sort of a slight point, what if he did do that to gain an extra lap or get backto the pits intome for another run(if tight for time).
Anything in Regs about that?

I don't know for a fact, but I would assume they would be allowed to as the same tactic is open to the other drivers. The only sort of cutting that isn't allowed (I asked this is Ask the Apex) is if a driver cuts the last corner to gain a speed advantage when going over the line to start a lap.

EDIT: Rewrote my post

Stricter version of 'one move' rule to be adopted for Korean Grand Prix
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95369

Now this is intresting, Must of missed it this morning. Hopefully this Ends the 'undefending' of a corner and returning to the racing line, with the two most obivious examples being Spa between Hamilton and Kobi, and Schumi on Hamilton about 30 odd times at Monza.

There certainly not the only ones that have done it, and cannot understand how why or when it became accaptable.

Autosport said:
....as part of a process that is likely to put it formally into the sporting regulations next year,

And this is fantastic. About time too!, The Rules the 'one move' have been needed to me made clearer for ages, and for it too be made clearer, and written in the Regs, sounds like common sense to me. Hopefully it comes off without a hitch in Korea.

Just reading about Vettel's shortcut.

Here's the explanation as to why he wasn't penalised.

The Stewards received a report from the Race Director concerning Car 1 Sebastian Vettel leaving the
track between T4 and T6 at 14:55 during Q3.

Having heard from the driver and team manager, and having noted that Car 1 started what was its
fastest Qualifying lap with 17 seconds to spare prior to the chequered flag, the Stewards determined that
no advantage was gained when Car 1 left the track. Accordingly no breach of Article 20.13 occurred on
this occasion and the Stewards decide to take no further action.

The Stewards note also that specific instructions in relation to the use of the link road between T4 and
T6 during the race will be issued by the Race Director.
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/f1_media/Documents/kor-document-34.pdf

Not sure I agree with that reasoning to be honest; not only did he save time, but also tyre wear.

"Specific instructions"? I assume use of the road isn't allowed and using it would result in a drive through. Unless perhaps the track is severly blocked, but why use that term when instead they could just say drivers will be penalised.

If that isn't gaining an advantage I think I'm going to advise everyone to cut the della roggia and ascari on their in lap and just before their flying lap they should be able to cut the 'wall of champions' chicane

Red Bull believe they've outmanoeuvred McLaren by saving all those prime tyres. The last time they believed that was at Canada last year when they'd actually outmanoeuvred themselves.

Re. Vettel's short cut. How is it that the FIA feel the need to issue "special instructions" rather than do what they do at Monza? Where are the temporary red and white 'safety' barriers like those that grace the first corner 'slip' road at Monza? How hard is that?:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom