Grand Prix 2011 Brazilian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Only one more to go, better find those samba drums

After Abu Dhabi we move onto Brazil for the final race of the 2011 F1 season and for a lot of people it can't come quick enough, it's certainly been an interesting season with Sebastian Vettel and the RB7 dominating the year with the German breaking almost every record in the book.

But in Abu Dhabi his luck finally ran out. After taking yet another pole position he suffered a dramatic puncture at turn 2 of the first lap and had to retire with damage to his car making it unsafe and undrivable. This turn of events helped Lewis Hamilton put his demons behind him (and Felipe Massa) to take his third win of the season with a perfect drive finishing ahead of Fernando Alonso who brilliantly took second in a slower car.

For Hamilton it marks the end of a dramatic dip in form where he had lost his confidence and hitting everyone around him. He was on the pace all weekend and was unlucky not to take pole. In the race, despite pressure from Alonso, he didn't put a foot wrong all race to take his 17th race win and in the process leading his 1000th lap in F1. Jenson Button has one and a half hands on second place in the championship after taking a strong third place after battling with KERS problems for the first half of the race meaning he was unable to challenge Hamilton or Alonso.

Mark Webber was once again unable to step up to the plate after his team-mate retired and after battling with Button and Massa for most of the race, took fourth after a change of strategy in the middle of the race gave him the jump over the Ferrari who still is a long way off the pace and is more likely to fall behind the Mercedes drivers than challenge the leaders.

Schumacher and Rosberg had very quiet races but came through to finish 6th and 7th as they continue to have a massive gap in the championship between the teams above and below and they are almost running in their own formula of the middle of the points as they arent fast enough to challenge the Ferraris, Red Bulls and Mclarens, but are faster than the Renaults, Force Indias and Torro Rossos.

It was a rare point for Kamui Kobayashi who has had some poor races recently but took the final point for Sauber ahead of his team-mate to inch ahead of Jaime Alguersuari in the standings and at this point of the season, every point is crucial, particularly when contracts are up for renewal which is of utmost importance for a lot of midfield drivers.

Moving onto Brazil, a track where Red Bull dominated in 2010 with Vettel winning to keep his chances of his first championship alive and it was where Red Bull sealed their first Constructors World Championship. It was also Williams last pole position after Nico Hulkenburg shocked everyone to take his first pole.

This year things arent quite so complicated with both championships wrapped up long ago, but there are still a lot of scores to be settled up and down the grid, none more so than the battle for second in the championship with Button and Alonso separated by just 10 points. The newer teams will be hoping for a high attrition race so that one of them might scrape into 10th place and take their first point which would be worth millions to HRT, Caterham and Marussia. Brazil has been the scene of many a classic race (just ask both Mclaren drivers) and this years race should be no different.

For Galahads superb circuit write up, see herehttp://cliptheapex.com/pages/autodromo-jose-carlos-pace-interlagos/

Yes a dull race wether or not Vettel actually had a problem I don't know but I suspect not, Jenson drove well once he got on his preferred tyres thats all I can say about it.

PS

The DRS zone was in the wrong place but Jenson showed how it should have been used, get close on the start finnish straight using KERS then pounce in the zone.

A pretty tedious end to the season. Not sure about the litany of 'gearbox problems' - it was highly reminiscent of 2007...

It looks like around 40 overtakes, low for the season, and some might have to be discounted on mechanical issue grounds too.

Good drives by Sutil and Kobayashi I thought.

A move to less durable tyres in 2012 will be very welcome.

Disappointing race ..Mclaren who looked fast through practice failed to deliver when it mattered most

Vettel had it in the bag until he let Webber by after doing a faster lap than him..he made his point he can still drive faster than Webber with problems in his car

Webber takes a crumb victory which will save the embarrassment of being winless in the best car and manages to finish 3rd in the championship which is the first time he has done..but realistically he should have been an easy 2nd

A happier note to finish the season for Webber but he is going to need to find something significant to beat Vettel after losing 3 years in a row now to him

Button struggled earlier on but then got Alonso back when the Ferrari achilles heel all year being poor on harder tyres hurt them again.

Hamilton had a frustrating race where he could keep up with ALonso and Button but could not pass either

Not a bad race, to end of 'not a bad' season. Average, just like the season itself. The last half of this season the races have just been getting duller, the last good race I remember was Hungary-Spa.

Just watched the race now without knowing the result due to working yesterday, was in a taxi on the way back home, when the race was on and an update was coming through, told the driver to change the station quick before I could hear anything! Quite proud of that.

Wasn't too happy that Webber won, or should I say, the way he won. But what the heck, he was close to Vettel than he has been all season, but seemed as if Vettel had the legs on him early on until the problem hit. Webber must have been thinking why in the world is Vettel's luck changing now when it's pointless.

Must say, great drive from Sutil! Finished ahead of Rosberg and has been on the ball all weekend. Definitely in the prime seat for going to Williams. Vettel I think drove nicely aswell, apparently he was racing around in wet settings? Still faster than Alonso at times.

Loved Alonso's move on Button, reminscent of Vettel on Barrichello in '09, also remember Hamilton doing it to someone in the same year aswell as those two charged through the field. Nevertheless, I thought this one was better than theirs, mainly because it's the most recent? :D

Ferrari's woes with the hard tyre just continued, anyone notice the gap when Button was closing down on Alonso? When Alonso came out of the pits it was around 5-6s, two laps later it was 2.5s, a lap later 1.25s. One of the aspects you can blame on making this season quite boring, as Ferrari have been on the pace with the softer tyres, putting on the hards, they vanish! Though both of the Ferrari drivers drove good races, Alonso did well until the last phase on the tyres he despises, and Massa was running well at times on a 2 stopper.

Thought the McLaren drivers where a bit average...Button did well in the last stint, but was 'meh-ish' in the first one, don't know whether he was holding Hamilton or not, he may well might have been. Massa screwed up Hamilton's race (not for the first time this season LOL) also anyone know how severe his gearbox problem was before he retired? It was mentioned Vettel had problems with 2nd and 3rd, Senna with 4th, no mention of what gears where hassling Hamilton. He was running well though with the problem.

Lots of gearbox problems in this race eh?

Senna-Schumacher incident, ah, can't really say much, the two angles that we got weren't great to see who was at fault. But like Brundle said, you couldn't really fault either, but I did feel that Senna did brake a bit too late, a bit like what Rosberg did to Sutil later on but there was no contact there. Shame though, Senna looked to be having a good race for a point or two, and not a good way for Schumacher to end his better season.

Can't really comment on the mid-field, didn't see much of them to make a comment, although did anyone see a replay of Maldonado going off? I don't seem to recall ever getting a replay.

Would have liked it if Toro Rosso finished ahead of Sauber in the constructors, think both of their drivers where better than Saubers throughout the season.

Like to give a mention to HRT too, they did well in this race, both drivers qualified in front of both of the Marussia Virgin cars, and where fighting with them on the track for position.

Also, caught a glimpse of the races shown live on the BBC, the only good one I saw, was Spa, decent ones where China and Brazil

Just wished there was rain during the race.

Not one of my favourite seasons, but could say it was better than 2009.

I agree with most of what you say, Sly. Please don't tell me that Hungary-Spa was one race, that means I lost a week of my life this year.

It was...that's why it was so special :D

The last entertaining one for me was either Hungary or Spa, why I put them both in is because I think Spa might not have been that good, so I put Hungary there for back up :)

Massa screwed up Hamilton's race (not for the first time this season LOL) also anyone know how severe his gearbox problem was before he retired? It was mentioned Vettel had problems with 2nd and 3rd, Senna with 4th, no mention of what gears where hassling Hamilton. He was running well though with the problem.
Much as Im sure Massa would like to take credit for lewis' demise, this is one he cant claim. I think they said it was 4th and 5th gear, but Im not sure. They told lewis at about half distance(unless radio tranmission was delayed)that he had a gear box problem and there was nothing he could do about it. When the car stopped it sounded like the whole lot had gone.

It is strange that every time Lewis has a problem getting past a driver Jenson just cruises up to the same driver and passes him without a problem i.e Massa at Brazil Schumacher at Monza.

In no way did Massa ruin Hamilton's race and even if he did surely that is part of his job otherwise what is racing all about?

I think Hamiltons gearbox issues were at least 100% more severe than Vettels phantom gearbox problems.

Schumacher at Monza-Lewis did all the work and harried him into a mistake, he put Lewis off the track and Jenson took advantage . Schumachers tyres were shot by then
Massa at Brazil- as you say, severe gearbox problems

Let's not go over old ground again.

Schumacher's tyres had gone by that point, which is why he pitted straight after he was passed by Button.

If not for the deliberate shove onto the grass, Hamilton would have been past and kept his position ahead of Button.

But Lewis had at least 10 laps or so to work out where to pass Schumacher. He kept going for the same feint move at the Lesmo which Schumacher was always ready to block.

Alonso would have done the same thing in Button's situation or any other driver who can read the situation properly except maybe Mark Webber who prefers to bang wheels

Did Whitmarsh (on the BBC forum I think, just before it cut off) say something about Hamilton not having 7th gear when he was trying to take Massa? Not sure if this was before the pitstop (when he had the fresher tyres, and when JB breezed past easily).
I would have thought loss of 7th gear would compromise top speed even more, because although never really in a position to overtake, he didn't look far back enough that he was on the rev-limiter the whole pit straight.

I'm pretty certain I heard it said (by Whitmarsh or whoever, can't remember) that Hamilton lost 1st & 2nd gears quite early on, then 7th, then the whole kit & caboodle went 'phut'.

Lewis kept losing ground to the cars in front of him from turn 12 up the hill and along the start/finish straight, which meant he was never in a position to use the DRS zone effectively (except, ironically, on the lap immediately before his gearbox gave out, when he got much closer to Massa going into turn 1 and looked like he was about to pounce along the back straight.

Back
Top Bottom