Football 2010-11 Football Season

:D True.

Still, you going to put a bet on them being knocked out of their group then, tby? ;)

As long as they don't drop below Pot 2, the big clubs will generally be fine. And goodness knows Real have been trying really hard to mess it up for a long time now.

Galahad said:
:D True.

Still, you going to put a bet on them being knocked out of their group then, tby? ;)

As long as they don't drop below Pot 2, the big clubs will generally be fine. And goodness knows Real have been trying really hard to mess it up for a long time now.

This time last year no-one would have expected Liverpool to go out of a group containing Lyon, Fiorentina and Debrecen; but I think Real will be OK for the simple reason that Milan are rubbish (and Real aren't).

By the way, Real prove to Man City's detractors that however rich you are and however many players you sign, there'll always be one club more willing to keep world-class players on the bench.

Assuming they play 4-2-3-1, the second striker/attacking midfielder role will be a choice between Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Mesut Özil and Rafael Van Der Vaart. Someone is going to be frustrated there.

As a Pompey fan I suppose I should be laughing and cheering that Southampton have sacked Alan Pardew after only 4 games AND after they won 4-0 at the weekend but I can't. What is wrong with football these days that a manager with a half decent track record, especially at producing a good team on a shoe string budget, is given the boot so soon into the season.

Presumably the Scummers Southampton have someone else lined up - what money on Glenn Hoddle coming back to St Mary's?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/8954162.stm

FB said:
Presumably the Scummers Southampton have someone else lined up - what money on Glenn Hoddle coming back to St Mary's?

Quite frankly I find it amazing to believe that you could find anyone quite so idiotic to sack a manager to bring in Glenn Hoddle. A lot of managers who were good players in their time keep getting jobs that they don't show the slightest aptitude for.

I mean, take the incessant demands two years ago for Alan Shearer to become Newcastle manager. How long do you need to be a mediocre pundit for this to subside. Then the Newcastle fans* got what they wanted, which apparently was to be relegated (although they did attach lead-weight-Dowie).

Great players don't usually make great managers. What confuses me is that chairmen keep falling for that one.

*media

Didn't actually watch the whole game as I was out and about, my old man said that we played rubbish again though, even if we did win 4-0 Whats your take?

MajorDanby said:
Didn't actually watch the whole game as I was out and about, my old man said that we played rubbish again though, even if we did win 4-0 Whats your take?

I'd tend to agree that the performance wasn't great - England went 1-0 up really early and then didn't take advantage of how poor Bulgaria are for most of the first half. We got a goal on the counter attack after the hour and after that they gave up.

I think England have some of the same old problems - the fact we didn't get one through-ball to Walcott for the whole game makes you understand why he plays better for Arsenal, but it looks like we have a quality 'keeper, and someone to score goals on the more and more frequent occasions Rooney doesn't.

Pinch of salt, Tuesday in Basle is the real test for England.

The Swiss have one of the toughest defenses in world football. I'm not expecting us to score more than one and then only if were lucky.

3 more goals (although they did concede) - why can't England play in finals they way they do in qualifying? :

It certainly proved me wrong.

I think we can play amazing football when the pressure is off. The only time we faltered during the world cup qualifying was when we were under pressure to win the last game for a 100% record.

Its a promising start but still early days.

Just to sum it up for you in simple language, Preston NE were 3-1 up, then had a man sent off. At this point it all got a bit 'Matthews Final', and Burnley scored 3 goals to win 4-3. Don't worry, even Manchester United were doing something similar yesterday!

By the way, in European football news, Barcelona lost 2-0 at home to newly-promoted Hércules yesterday. Football, eh? Divertit joc Antic!

I believe there was a little bit of Beast-to-Beast combat at Turf Less last night as well!

It happens to all football teams at sometime, at least you didn't do a Bayern Munich and lose spectacularly in a really big game!

I will never forgive Steven Gerrard for the utterly stupid backpass in this game...

Well the mighty Pompey double their points tally to move from bottom of the table to, err, bottom of the table :D S'pose a 0-0 draw against high flying Ipswich isn't too bad a result. If it speeds up Roy Keane either walking or getting sacked I'm happy LOL

At least you got beat by another Yorkish team...

And we have a live Pompey fan somewhere, even despite their loss in the Battle of the Bankrupt.

Man U 0-0 The Rangers Bus was a quite funny scoreline imo!

Back
Top Bottom