Current AlphaTauri (formerly Toro Rosso)

Toro Rosso

FIA Entry: Scuderia Toro Rosso
Car 18: Sebastien Buemi
Car 19: Jamie Alguersuari
Engine: Ferrari V8
Team Principa:l Franz Tost
Technical Director: Giorgi Ascanelli
Race Engineer Car 18: Riccardo Adami
Race Engineer Car 19:Andrea Landi

Stats as of end 2010

First Entered 2006
Races Entered 90
Race Wins 1
Pole Positions 1
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

The Beginning

Toro Rosso took over the Minardi entry in F1 in 2006. Minardi took part in 345 Grands Prix between 1985 and 2005 without a single win, podium, pole or fastest lap but were the starting point for double World Champion Fernando Alonso and race winners Mark Webber and Jarno Trulli.

Red Bull Takeover

At the end of 2005 current Minardi team owner Paul Stoddart sold the team to Red Bull to allow them to create a “Junior” team to bring new driver talent into F1. The Red Bull take over resulted in a change of name to Squadra Toro Rosso and then Scuderia Toro Rosso amidst much complaint from Minardi fans. For their first season in 2006 drivers Vitantonio Liuzzi and Scott Speed used the STR1 chassis, which was essentially the Red Bull RB1 car. These were fitted with rev and air flow limited 3.0 litre Ford engines to allow Toro Rosso to compete in the new 2.4 litre formula in place for 2006.

Liuzzi scored a point for the team at the US Grand Prix, a race where only 9 cars finished. The development of the new engines by the other teams put Toro Rosso in a very uncompetitive position and they tended to qualify toward the back of the grid and run in those positions in the race.

Ferrari Customer

With the senior Red Bull team moving to Renault power for 2007 Toro Rosso picked up their Ferrari engine contract. Speed and Liuzzi continued as drivers. The STR2 proved unreliable and both drivers made mistakes during the year leading to speculation that they would be replaced. Speed eventually lost his seat to BMW test driver, and Red Bull junior driver, Sebastien Vettel. In changeable weather at the Chinese Grand Prix Vettel bought his car home 4th with Liuzzi 6th.

For 2008 Vettel was joined by reigning Champ Car Series winner Sebastien Bourdais as Liuzzi moved to Force India. Bourdais finished 7th at the opening race of the season in Australia and Vettel then took 4th in Monaco. As the season progressed Vettel in particular was a regular points scorer and in wet qualifying at the Italian Grand Prix put his car on pole. The rain continued into race day and Vettel went on to win the race becoming the youngest ever Grand Prix victor. More points finishes for Vettel in the final races of the season put Toro Rosso 6th in the Constructors Championship and earned him a place in the Red Bull senior team for 2009.

Sebastien Buemi joined Bourdais for 2009 and after the highs of 2008 the team came back down to earth in ’09. Bourdais was dismissed mid season due to poor race results and Jaime Alguersuari took his seat for the remainder of the season. The drivers managed a few low points finished but the team dropped to 10th in the Constructors Championship.

Buemi and Alguersuari continued for 2010 and again picked up some minor points placing’s, helped by the revised points scoring system for the season. The team finished 9th in the Constructors Championship but were the lowest placed of the established F1 teams.

Toro Rosso continue with the same driver line up in 2011 and, with the STR6 car and Ferrari engines, hope they can move further up the grid.

Renault, apparently, are looking to see if they can withhold TR's engines for the rest of the season because of this bad mouthing. According to Sky, Franz Tost has been told he must issue an apology.

oh yeah. they Abitiboul looked absoultely furious, sort of understandably because i guess nobody like to be told your doing it on purpose. which is obviously not the case according to prost just having a few problems with suppliers. is reason for problematic refurbished parts. problem is there more chance of a mclaren 1-2 this weekend than a franz tost apology because he said why im angry too & basically abitboul started it last night attacking my team. so dont be surprised when i retaliate.

it got interesting because tweeter during FP3 made very good point. if hypothetically Renault withhold toro rosso engines for final 2 races, Red bull could stop Sainz "loan"

Last edited:
IMG_20171111_165447.jpg

IMG_20171111_165509.jpg

IMG_20171111_165512.jpg

IMG_20171111_165515.jpg

Last edited:
Well surprise it took Renault this long to to tell Red Bull / Toro Rosso to :censored: and we're not providing you engines. Renault would no way want to provide inferior engines

They've always been fair and honest to their customers

They've always been fair and honest to their customers

Yes. At one point they were headed up by Flavio. I believe when you look up honest and fair there is a picture of this stalwart of an honest and fair man.

On a serious point - how can you possibly know this? It's impossible for anyone us to know whether that is true or not. Me thinks you just Don't like Red Bull.

RasputinLives When was the last time Renault gave a customer team inferior / unreliable engines? By that definition I mean lesser spec than the works team

I seem to remember both Benetton and Williams had the same engines back of their cars between 1995-1997 and even when WIlliams were the factory team , Ligier also had the same spec of engines

To accuse Renault of sabotaging well Flav is not in charge for one to damage the brand

But didn't Renault start this by saying it was Torro Rosso's fault there engines were failing? I kind of see how that might piss then off - especially as, unlike the big sister team, they've done very little complaining about some very shoddy stuff. Failures in every session? Having to turn the turbo down in order that it won't blow up? If this had been Honda then people would have had a field day. To put up with that and then be told that actually it's your fault (despite the fact they turned the turbo down in all Renault cars). Think I'd be pissed off too.

Hmmm it was odd that Helmut was having to be the peacekeeper .. the last person you'd expect... Not saying Renault did it deliberately but it probably is a fundamental design flaw which means the engine is not as bulletproof if you can say that

I'm not sure if this has been posted somewhere else ...

• officialtororossoPIERRE AND BRENDON TO STAY FOR… 2018! Scuderia Toro Rosso is very pleased to announce that its driver line-up for the 2018 Formula 1 season will be the one formed by Pierre Gasly and Brendon Hartley.

worrying stats I found for toro rosso with the speed traps statistics. that a turned down Renault engine because of the amount of failures & the refurbished parts they get as new. as found out in brazil through alain prost after the blazing row. they are still a match for the 2017 Honda on full beans. which is does prove that its mclarens chassis that is saving Honda blushes

20171126_215809.jpg

Last edited:
Should the Honda prove more competitive this season, and I suspect they will, given that they were obviously making progress at the end of last season and have now been able to adopt a more optimal packaging layout in the chassis, I think there will be lots of red faces among the other teams.

It would really be most interesting if TR was able to compete with the RBs. I wonder how the corporate sponsors would react to THAT?

Back
Top Bottom