Top Gear returns

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
Best episode of the series last night. Laughed all the way through it. The team really works well when it is all three of them together and we need more of that next time out.

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
I've just read that from next year, Paddy McGuiness and Freddie Flintoff replace Matt and Rory.

Matt is leaving the show and Rory is going back to just doing Top Gear extra. Chris Harris remains on the main program.

I think it was painfully obvious that Rory, while being popular with viewers, clearly wasn't getting on with someone on the programme. Much of the last series was the "Chris and Matt show"' The ironic thing was, it was genuinely funny when all three were together.

Truthfully, the show should have been put to bed after Clarkson was sacked and the other two quit.

Greenlantern101

Super Hero And All Round Good Guy
Contributor
Paddy and Freddie could save this. They have genuine charisma. Rory's stuff always felt heavily scripted.

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
yeah I liked rory reid, I thought he was brilliant in the 1st series & they all got on very well, thought theyve finally got right. but as you say it was really strange last series because it was a duo presenting as most shows were 35 mins matt & chris. 10 mins chris car review, 10 mins matt star interview & then 5 mins of rory squeezed in

but is there a competiton for weirdest news story between ITV & BBC. right everyone Joanna Lumley hosting her good friend will.i.am a special with black eyed peas. how can we be stranger Flintoff & McGuinness hosting top gear. but nothing against them 2 because I like them both & Flintoff in most things he's done was brilliant. his podcast is fantastic & he's hilarious on league of their own

Last edited:

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
Well let’s see what happens. If it bombs I predict it will finally be the end of Top Gear.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
The new Top Gear is making me laugh. There seems to be a good rapport amongst the guys, and nobody seems to be trying to be the special “one”.
I think I may enjoy it.

Greenlantern101

Contributor
7/10 decent start. I will watch next weeks. I totally lost interest in last series. Harris still seems fake though.

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
i had a good feeling for new new new new top gear as with Flintoff has yet to do bad show, hes always great entertainment, honest & quite deep at times, in his chip shop van, the Fred sav syed podcast or league of their own as assumed it will be like the great road trips on a league of their own. which trio of Andrew Flintoff Jamie Redknapp & Jack Whitehall were hilarious

I liked it but i thought the last 3 was were underrated if I did wonder why the other 2 hated rory so much & gives much better platform than dreadful reboot than chris evans

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
Tuned in on Sunday and must admit I laughed more in one episode than in the total of last series.

It still feels very "insert joke here" at times but much more like old Top Gear.

Greenlantern101

Contributor
I've watched the first 2. It's a lot better. Really like Flitoff. He seems to be enjoying himself and god forbid I think Harris is slightly less robotic with the banter. Hopefully it will improve once they get to know each other better.

I hated Hammond when the reborn topgear started but he grew on me. Hopefully these 3 can get a dynamic going and sign up long term. It is nice to see youth in the program. Clarkson had a beached elderly whale thing going on in the last grand tour.

Grizzly

Bear
Contributor
I watched the first one and I'll keep watching i think. By far and a way the best line-up since they booted Clarkson. They are actually watchable, they'll always be scripted, that is how the show works, but they seemed far, far less forced right from the off. Perhaps a well done BBC for potentially saving their biggest earner if, that is, the international audience likes it.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
Their antics appear quite dangerous at times, but they are very funny.

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Didn't want to enjoy it but it's actually rather good. It's not a car show but then is stopped being that about 15 years ago.

Top Bottom