Top Gear returns

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
The all new Top Gear entered its third series without the dynamic trio tonight.

I have to say I really enjoyed it. Now that the core three of Chris, Matt and Rory have settled in after the "Chris Evans" debacle of two years ago, they have really found their feet as a presenting team.

Last year it seemed a bit forced but this episode they really seemed to work together quite naturally. There were still one or two moments of 'the script says presenter tells a joke' moments but they were few and far between.

Figure of eight chain car racing looks great.

The only thing I really miss from the old format is the news section where general motoring stuff gets covered.

The team are absolutely spot on about the new Disco though. It is ****ing hideous.

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
yeah I enjoyed it after the atrocious Evans series which if it didn't exist everyone would be fine. promoting Harris & Reid in last series got it back on form. I think there friendship is good but hasn't got the 15yrs the prior one have. But I think its pointless comparing it to grand tour as that like comparing Force India to Mercedes. but like a few episodes in previous series you could easily replace them 3 with Clarkson Hammond & may, most would say its a great episode

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
Catching up now on Monday evening. Sunday I’m afraid I do the girly thing, and watch “Call the Midwife”, I did record it, but have decided to watch this evening on BBC 2.
They have really become a good team, but I’m a bit concerned that we seem to have moved Stateside. Is this going to become an American program now? With Matt at the helm.

Mind I’m loving the figure of eight. Maybe we could make F1 like that. Never a dull Sunday.

Last edited:

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
Yeah he was barely in it last night. I guess he didn't want to play gooseberry in the developing bromance between Chris and Matt.

It was a dull episode last night with the bizarre two minute 'city car' segment featuring Rory felt like they had two minutes to fill and that would do.

Looks like he'll get more screen time in next weeks episode from Japan.

cousinDave

Points Scorer
Strange how peoples taste differs. I thought Sundays episode was the best one the current gang have done. I usually judge how good a show is by how much time I spend looking at my phone, which wasn't much this time. Having said that, I still can't warm to the new presenters... especially Harris.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
Well I loved it again. The lunacy in the forest did look at off-road toys, currently available, not some random old cars, which made the lunacy more relevant, and hey, if I was going to use one of those things, why not look for big foot.

:D

Last edited:

Greenlantern101

Super Hero And All Round Good Guy
Contributor
I don't get why Rory is being excluded. It is the only thing wrong now. Duos are ok, trios are better.

I wonder what Ali G's take on it is?

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
Enjoyed last night's episode but I'm thinking of starting a "where's Rory?" Campaign.

At least Rory got to drive the best car of the night (until it blew up).

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
There is something very strange going on with Rory. I wonder who doesn’t like who.

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
Apparently Matt is dating the Top Gear producer. Was tonight's Birthday Card gag a subtle dig?? Who knows?

I'm still enjoying the programme though.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
Well having watched it, I enjoyed it. Rory is very much on the outside edge. But there was a deliberate moment at the end between him and Mat. Maybe it’s the way the producers want it to be. Rory as the straight man, to the clowns. Who knows. Time will tell.

Top Bottom