Politics The Politics thread

Ruslan

Points Scorer
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49226573

Yet another massacre, this time undeniably race-based.The gunman's postings approx 20 minutes before the deed basically being an echo of Trump's racist diatribes. Yet (unsurprisingly) Trump's spokesman denies any connection between Trump's hate-filled screeds and the racist actions of white supremecists.

When will the Americans wake up and recognize that all of the hate-filled rhetoric emanating from Trump has an influence on the simple-minded and strident white supremicists?
Well, 54% of the people who voted did not vote for Donald Trump. In 2018 the majority of those who voted also voted against the Republican Party candidates and as a result they lost control of the House. It is an empowered minority that controls the White House and the Senate (and nominally the Supreme Court). This may all change next year depending on voter turn-out rates.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
Every time a News reporter refers to the Prime Minister I always have a momentary feeling of shock when they follow it up with a picture of Boris Johnson.
Somewhere inside my head the term Prime Minister is associated with a certain amount of gravitas. I have never associated Boris with gravitas.

Reactions: FB

Ruslan

Points Scorer
Well, the little scrolling headlines at the bottom of my BBC news broadcast mentions that the UK economy has declined this year. I gather with a hard Brexit in October, it is only going to be worse. In the face of a declining economy, how long can Boris Johnson or the Conservative Party remain in power?

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
....how long can Boris Johnson or the Conservative Party remain in power?
It depends on the Labour Party. How many Labour MPs will vote to leave when it comes down to keeping or losing their seat and how many Conservative MPs vote against no deal leave.

There is a feeling that Boris is making wild promises as a softener for an election, then the Conservative Party will live or die dependant how many voters believe that the Brexit Party are the only ones to trust to leave the EU.

Unfortunately Labour will be lumbered with Corbyn; he is liable to be a millstone round their neck.

Andyoak

Race Winner
None of them should be in a position of power...

It's going to be shit?

Hell, they're all shit...
Shit is the default result.

Ruslan

Points Scorer
It depends on the Labour Party. How many Labour MPs will vote to leave when it comes down to keeping or losing their seat and how many Conservative MPs vote against no deal leave.

There is a feeling that Boris is making wild promises as a softener for an election, then the Conservative Party will live or die dependant how many voters believe that the Brexit Party are the only ones to trust to leave the EU.

Unfortunately Labour will be lumbered with Corbyn; he is liable to be a millstone round their neck.
Does this all come to a head early next year or sooner?

Andyoak

Race Winner
It doesn't have to happen until 2022 or 3 ( when did Treseme **** up the election?)... Anyway 5 years from then.

No chance BoJo can last that long.

Problem is Corbyn is totally unfit for office; and the electorate know that.

The Conservatives have been in too long so will get blown out.

The Liberal Democrats are the default protest vote, so will do well; but not enough to make it into office.

It'll be a ****ed up coalition government lead by Labour with no clear agenda or support lead by a man who has spent his whole political career objecting to the consensus.

It's going to be shit.

RasputinLives

Not dead
Contributor
I actually feel a bit sorry for Corbyn. He is a rare man in Politics in that he sticks to his principles. Some of those principles are a bit whack job but he sticks to them. I feel his a bit naive and is being used by John McDonnell and co as a relatable front for their agenda

Ruslan

Points Scorer
It doesn't have to happen until 2022 or 3 ( when did Treseme **** up the election?)... Anyway 5 years from then.

No chance BoJo can last that long.

Problem is Corbyn is totally unfit for office; and the electorate know that.

The Conservatives have been in too long so will get blown out.

The Liberal Democrats are the default protest vote, so will do well; but not enough to make it into office.

It'll be a ****ed up coalition government lead by Labour with no clear agenda or support lead by a man who has spent his whole political career objecting to the consensus.

It's going to be shit.
Thanks. Useful summary. So BoJo may be gone before Trump?

Angel

Happy to help.
Contributor
Trouble is parliament aren't happy with anything right now. They are fighting against leaving with no deal yet there was a deal and they didn't vote for that either, can't say I blame them as it was a crap deal. So now we're in a kind of holding pattern where nothing really happens to break the deadlock. If they force a vote of no confidence the timing will mean the chances are the election won't happen until after Brexit anyway. BoJo has offered to renegotiate the deal but the EU won't hear of it, yet no one wants no deal, or the only deal on the table, so what is the answer?

Dartman

Points Scorer
The problem is that any deal won't be accepted, the remainers and the ones that don't like the deal will always outnumber those that want it, the ones that want a new referendum will be outnumbered by those who want to leave. The problem is and was that those that promised the electorate would decide failed to make the referendum enforcible and there was no way it could be made enforcible retrospectively due to the above.
That leaves a No Deal only on the cards as that is the default and really can't be stopped due to time, it will happen if there is no parliament sitting or government in a position to stop it. Though we will leave it will be interesting to see who blinks first and enforces tariffs, I suspect all will carry on as before as it is easier to argue about what to do rather than do.
Without deciding whether a new referendum is the solution, we vote in a new government every 5 years ( or should do, a government can call an election, but no one else can) calling a new referendum is similar to calling a new GE because we didn't like the result of the last one, we all know who shouts loudest gets the media coverage and media coverage will bend the shout to claiming a majority

Last edited:

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
....Some of those principles are a bit whack job but he sticks to them. I feel his a bit naive and is being used by John McDonnell and co ....
In one tv programme someone said that Corbyn had set his ideas at the age of 16 then had never updated them since then taking no account of what had happened since then. It sounds likely to me.

When it comes to the state of the parties as far as I can see the Conservative have two problems at election time: Johnson, who is loved by half the party and hated by the other half, and the Brexit Party who could steal a lot of votes. Labour has a problem with Corbyn who is a leaver in a remainish party. The only time I ever voted Tory was in 2010; I thought that I had voted LibDem for a week or so before I learnt differently: like many of their supporters I have had a bad taste in my mouth ever since.

It is a lottery where the tickets that win are not the ones that were sold.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
I just can’t imagine the Brexit party doing well in an election , I mean Nigel Farage is in charge, IMO he’s even worse than all the others put together.

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff member
Trump today declared himself the king of Israel and the chosen one. 🍊🤡

****ing nuts.

He cancelled a state visit to Denmark because they won't sell Greenland to him.

The evangelicals and republicans are lapping it up.

Top Bottom