Politics The Politics thread

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
Well I love Lamb, but on British supermarket shelves there is never a lot of it. Because British farmers sell it all to the EU. Now they are saying that they won’t have a market for it, and will go out of business. So here’s a novel thought, try selling British lamb to British people.

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
We won't sell British Lamb to British people if a condition of a free trade deal with New Zealand is tariff free imports of cheap New Zealand lamb.

Angel

Happy to help.
Contributor
Well I love Lamb, but on British supermarket shelves there is never a lot of it. Because British farmers sell it all to the EU. Now they are saying that they won’t have a market for it, and will go out of business. So here’s a novel thought, try selling British lamb to British people.
I'm with you Titch I don't understand all this exporting our stuff just to buy in imports. What sense is there to it? Aren't we all supposed to be lowering our carbon footprint and not shipping all this stuff around the world? I get selling off what you know you won't be able to sell locally, but I don't understand choosing to sell further afield when there is a perfectly good market here.

I know, it's a whole lot more complicated than that but it shouldn't be.

Dartman

Points Scorer
Our local butcher back in Scotland only sold Scottish local lamb hill farmed and as it pi:censored:es down for about half a year the grass is really tender giving a very succulent lamb:D

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
It's the customers Angel they insist that they want cheap food; the Welsh product is top quality which is reflected in the price.

Incidentally, when did you last buy a British tomato? In the past most of our tomatoes came from the Channel Islands. Then oil and gas were discovered in European waters, the Dutch used the money they made to grow subsidised tomatoes and other salad item in gas heated greenhouses, the Channel Islands could not compete and literally went totally out of business. So since somewhere around the '70s we have mainly been Dutch (until the gas went short anyway).

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
OK another idea. The government gives everyone a grant to have a greenhouse, well those with a little bit of space, those without space get a share of a communal Greenhouse. We have to agree that we will grow tomatoes , herbs, peppers and then we can make our own choices.
I’m building a new Britain!

LOLLOL

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff member
I can send some of my home grown tomatoes, aubergines, water melons, peppers, chilis, beans, beetroot, lettuce, onion, herbs, sunflowers, pears, peaches, plums, and apples over to alleviate the shortage, once Dumb & Dumber have thrashed out a trade agreement.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
That’s very kind Brogan , but they won’t be British. We are specifically sourcing British Tomatoes, I just threw in the herbs and peppers for good measure, maybe I should add aubergine and courgette as well.

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
And, of course, let's have none of this seasonal produce. We must have the same thing in store all year round regardless of the cost and logistics of moving the food around the plant.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
I appreciate your Britishness Brogan, and in spirit they will be British tomatoes . But .. they will have been grown in Trumps America. Maybe you could bring them in under the watchful eye of the backstop, which I feel should be policed by British built drones.
LOL

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff member
The next US presidential election cycle is ramping up, despite the election not being until November 2020.

One of the issues which fundamentally differentiates the Democrats and Republicans is universal health care.

The Democrats think it's a right and everyone should have access to free or affordable health care, the Republicans believe it's something you should pay for and if you can't afford it, tough.
Twitter is littered with comments to that effect.

Some sobering statistics:
  • 28.3 million Americans had no health insurance in 2018 Q1
  • 530 thousand American families file for bankruptcy every year due to medical bills
  • 40% of Americans don't go to the doctor because they can't afford it.

Angel

Happy to help.
Contributor
It's the customers Angel they insist that they want cheap food; the Welsh product is top quality which is reflected in the price.

Incidentally, when did you last buy a British tomato? In the past most of our tomatoes came from the Channel Islands. Then oil and gas were discovered in European waters, the Dutch used the money they made to grow subsidised tomatoes and other salad item in gas heated greenhouses, the Channel Islands could not compete and literally went totally out of business. So since somewhere around the '70s we have mainly been Dutch (until the gas went short anyway).
Last year our supermarket had tomatoes all summer that were from Yorkshire, or at least that is what it said on the label. I have only managed to buy two packets of British tomatoes so far this year, one from Yorkshire and one from East Anglia. Our local butchers used to sell locally grown tomatoes but unfortunately that changed hands and the new guy didn't carry that on.

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
I have a friend who lives in Scarborough Angel, I went to stay with him whilst the Tour de Yorkshire was on. The weather was cold and wet which he said was normal for this year. I met up with him in London last week, he said that the weather had improved a couple of weeks before but overall it had still not been good.

From my experience tomatoes are reluctant to grow in clod weather, mine are just coming on stream which is decidedly later than usual, they were once again stopped by the spring weather.

Top Bottom