Politics The Politics thread

Dartman

Points Scorer
There's a lot of charges on the sheet, taking into account lawyers arguments it would be unlikely that non of them will stick however a "not proven" verdict is always on the cards in Scotland, that means we can't prove it but we don't think you're innocent:whistle:

RasputinLives

Not dead
Contributor
A breakdown of the current Britain/EU negotiation over the Irish backstop.

GB: We don't want this!
EU: But you suggested it!
GB: We don't want it.
EU: OK what do you want?
GB: Not this
EU: OK what the alternative
EU: OK....we're hearing you....tell us what you propose instead.
EU: WHAT DO YOU WANT?????
GB: NOT THIS!!!!!

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
I hve come across two anti-Amazon pieces in the past two or three weeks.

1) £63.4m - business rates paid by online retailer Amazon , which has sales of £8.77bn and owns about 95 buildings on the UK.

£100m - businessrates paid by clothingand home retailer Next which has UK sales of around £4bn.

2) Amazon have paid less in business taxes in the whole of the time they have been in the UK than Marks and Spencer in one year.

==============================================================================================

Is there any hope for the High Street?

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
Oh dear. More Trump paranoia, is he about to go to war with China now. Is Russia pro or anti China ?

RasputinLives

Not dead
Contributor
Some great news stories going off in last few days which shows we're obviously coming up on the annual US military budget review. The powers that be need to justify the spend in order to get all those lucrative arms contracts renewed so they need to scare us all crapless in the media for a bit.

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
Nobody is preparing for world war three. We reached the stage a long time ago where a global war would result in the total destruction of the world. All these despots (East or west) just want to remain in power so they spin all this crap in the media. They all know a global thermo nuclear war is unwinnable and won't start one. After all, who wants to rule a pile of Ash from an underground bunker for the next 100 years.

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
pretty damning stuff in local election. i voted for lib dems but then i usually do because in general election stuff i usually like more of their stuff compared to the others. but did in local because only ukip had there address. not voting for that & normally i voted for whoever lives closest in local but didnt have that option

IMG_20190503_105922.jpg

Izumi

Points Scorer
pretty damning stuff in local election. i voted for lib dems but then i usually do because in general election stuff i usually like more of their stuff compared to the others. but did in local because only ukip had there address. not voting for that & normally i voted for whoever lives closest in local but didnt have that option

View attachment 12535
What's the prognosis this will have impact - if any - on Brexit related decision by PM May or anyobody else in power for that matter?

Last edited:

Andyoak

Race Winner
It'll encourage Corbyn to carry on taking part in talks with no intention to resolve anything. He wants the Conservatives to lose patience with May and boot her out so they have a General Election. In the likely event that Labour win there will be fresh talks with the EU but I doubt whether he will resolve the different opinions in Labour any better than May has with the Conservatives.

I'd advise against thinking anything going on now is about Brexit - it's about a General Election and obtaining power in the UK.

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
What's the prognosis this will have impact - if any - on Brexit related decision by PM May or anyobody else in power for that matter?
local elections are different to general elections because MP's dont change but it can be a barometer for the full election whenever that maybe because I was only watching a thing from 1994 local elections where tories had similar disaster but that was 514 seats they lost & labour went on to win a landslide in 1997. but labour are too bad only 77 & 2 councils but I dont want to pre-empt the future but conseratives losing 25% of councillers & 16 councils. with lib dems more than doubling there people. you would have to assume that its likely labour/lib dem coaltion next time we go to the general polls. with lib dems not getting hung out to dry but tories this time. labour/lib dems might be a softer Brexit but currenly your guess is as good as ours

which I think should be if/when Theresa may leaves I know its unusual but these are unprecented times in peacetime UK

Last edited:

Andyoak

Race Winner
Historically, mid-term polls for local councils are always a good excuse to kick the ruling party in the nuts.
However, the Conservatives have been kicked for slashing local budgets and ****ing up Brexit and everything else they've touched (it seems).

Izumi

Points Scorer
Historically, mid-term polls for local councils are always a good excuse to kick the ruling party in the nuts.
However, the Conservatives have been kicked for slashing local budgets and ****ing up Brexit and everything else they've touched (it seems).
Little straightforward, but I get jest of it. Thanks.

Izumi

Points Scorer
local elections are different to general elections because MP's dont change but it can be a barometer for the full election whenever that maybe because I was only watching a thing from 1994 local elections where tories had similar disaster but that was 514 seats they lost & labour went on to win a landslide in 1997. but labour are too bad only 77 & 2 councils but I dont want to pre-empt the future but conseratives losing 25% of councillers & 16 councils. with lib dems more than doubling there people. you would have to assume that its likely labour/lib dem coaltion next time we go to the general polls. with lib dems not getting hung out to dry but tories this time. labour/lib dems might be a softer Brexit but currenly your guess is as good as ours

which I think should be if/when Theresa may leaves I know its unusual but these are unprecented times in peacetime UK
Excellent explanation. Thanks for taking time to put it down.

Last edited:

gethinceri

Daniil Kvyat Fan. Alfa Romeo Fan.
Contributor
There is currently no reason, absolutely NO REASON, why the Conservatives would call an election in advance of the next scheduled one in spring 2022.

Izumi

Points Scorer
Ms. May is on the record that she is planning to step down after Brexit is delivered. UK government in power doesn't has to call election once she leaves, however it is hard to comprehend how jockeying ministers for power would speak unison or find any time to negotiate next relationship with EU. Perhaps answer is, they do not want one.

Top Bottom