The pedantic, speeling and grammer thread's

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
You are an Xbox and your LIVE Gold membership has expired. What does that mean?

From time to time I drop into the Carphone Warehouse shop to have a laugh at their posters. They are by far the best feature of TalkTalk.

Road of Bones

MTC Mole
Premium Contributor
When did "lose" acquire a second "o"?

I am increasingly irritated to see this typographical error cropping up on official websites. I wearily sigh to myself when I see it in blogs and in posts on here, as I try not to play grammar Nazi to everyone with whom I interact.

Let us clarify things here:

LOSE - to fail to win, misplace an item (failing to win = LOSING)

LOOSE - ill-fitting, baggy, allowing free access, not tight (LOOSING - releasing: as of arrows, dogs, pigeons, farts etc.)

They aren't even pronounced the same!

Let us have no more confusion on the matter...

:goodday:

ExtremeNinja

Karting amateur
Contributor
How about "Breaks" and "Brakes"? Arrrggghhhh

A breaking point is the point at which something fails under duress.

A braking point is the point at which a driver applies the brakes of a vehicle.

Don't even get me started on tyres and tires. A misspelling that has been legitimised in the American dictionary. It exhausts me... or does it tire me?

McZiderRed

Champion Elect
Supporter
I find it really difficult to except it, when people get it wrong. Most days I'm OK with it, accept on Mondays. Must be that I just don't like Mondays....

Actually, I'm not that bothered. I just find it strange how people can mix up accept and except.
Seems quite straightforward to me... :D

ExtremeNinja

Karting amateur
Contributor
I find it really difficult to except it, when people get it wrong. Most days I'm OK with it, accept on Mondays. Must be that I just don't like Mondays....

Actually, I'm not that bothered. I just find it strange how people can mix up accept and except.
Seems quite straightforward to me... :D
Yes. I spotted the deliberate mistake immediately. You are a very naughty Clipper. :spank:

Current BBC breaking news headline:

Ex-Russian banker in critical condition after being shot near Canary Wharf in east London on Tuesday

So is that a banker who is no longer a Russian, or a Russian who is no longer a banker?

"Ex-Russian" is hyphenated so it's absolutely clear from that headline that he used to be Russian but isn't any more.
He therefore is a banker who used to be Russian and is in critical condition.
Can't see the problem myself, but then I'm not the Customs official who has to scrutinize his non-Russian passport;)

You are an Xbox and your LIVE Gold membership has expired. What does that mean?

From time to time I drop into the Carphone Warehouse shop to have a laugh at their posters. They are by far the best feature of TalkTalk.

CPW and TalkTalk are separate companies now*, they demerged a couple of years ago and have separate quotes on the Stock Exchange !

* allegedly!

Jos the Boss

Champion Elect
I only ever get affect and effect mixed up, very confusing! I also say me and [insert name here] instead of [insert name here] and I but I usually get that right! And is it you and me or you and I? Or should I just say we?

gethinceri

Daniil Kvyat Fan. Alfa Romeo Fan.
Contributor
Jos, a simple way to remember is to mentally remove the other party from the sentence.
Jos and I went to the race (I went to the race)
Jos and me went to the race (me went to the race)
You can easily see which is correct.

By the way everyone, when Jos and I went to the race he said not to bring an umbrella as it wouldn't be needed. It pissed down.
:D

Top Bottom