The pedantic, speeling and grammer thread's

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
I'm not sure I would ever use shined. It seems clumsy.

Last edited:

Mephistopheles

Banned
Contributor
A friend of mine would often use the term squoze as a past tense of squeeze I thought it sounds wrong but it turned out I was wrong...

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
I can't remember if I've already posted this but if you are unsure about which spelling of practice to use, practice or practise then replace the words in your sentence with "advice" and "advise". Then one that makes the more sense contains the c or s and tells you which spelling of practice or practise to use.

I.E. If I said "the best way to improve is through continual "practise or practice"? swap those out with advice or advise:

The best way to improve is through continual advise
The best way to improve is through continual advice

The second one makes more sense therefore you should use the "c" spelling of practice, hence:

The best way to improve is through continual practice

Try it, it works every time. :D

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
I will try to win the race. Fairly obvious and there is the possibility of trying and not winning.

I will try and win the race. Shorthand for I will try and I will win the race. No possibility of losing.

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff member
Is it any wonder standards are so poor these days?

I attended a school function earlier today (my daughter is in reception), and one of the teachers wrote on the board:

"The daffodils are as yellow as banana's.".

I was very tempted to ask "Banana's what?".

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
Being a good Bristolian, it's the law that 'er' when added to the end of anything, makes that thing bigger. I have this debate with my wife constantly. She says there is no such word as worser !!! Oh wifey, how much wronger can you be ?? LOL

Top Bottom