The pedantic, speeling and grammer thread's

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
Right, stop putting a "The" in front of HMS. It really ****s me off.

HMS stands for Her Majesties Ship. You wouldn't say "I sat on the her chair"

Calling a ship the Belfast is fine as in, "I was sat on the upper deck of the Belfast" or you could say "I was sat on the upper deck of HMS Belfast."

What you can not say is "I was sat on the upper deck of the HMS Belfast" because if you say it in full what you have just said is "I was sat on the upper deck of the Her Majesties Ship Belfast" and that doesn't make sense.

Jen

Here be dragons.
Contributor
Sorry but you can't say 'sat' - it is sitting, unless that was the only time you were there!

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
You said "you can't say sat it's sitting"

Then you went on to say "unless that was the only time you were there"

Given that I was only using sat as part of an example as to why you can't say "the" in front of HMS, it dosn't matter if it's sat or sitting since the context makes no difference.

And furthermore, given that you state in the first part of your sentance you can't use sat but then contradict that by saying unless, as I said in the post below, so you can use sat in certain contexts.

Rendering your initial statement that you can't use it as incorrect.

At least I think that's what I meant :D

Jen

Here be dragons.
Contributor
Absolute rubbish.

You can call your ships what you like - with or without the 'the' in front (although I would agree that it is a misnomer, in the same way that peeps refer to 'the' Kaiser Chiefs).

I was very specific as to when one uses 'sat' or sitting' and since this the 'pedantic' thread, I think I may have the higher ground!!:)

Jen

Here be dragons.
Contributor
'Sat' is done and dusted - a just the once moment. 'Sitting' can go on forever! 'Was sat' is just ugly!

So how many times has cider_and_toast encountered the illusionary chair.

Context is everything, as is spelling. I understood what was being said. My issue is the misuse of the finest language in the World!

If that makes a poncey pedant, then I'm not fussed!

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
Absolute rubbish.

You can call your ships what you like - with or without the 'the' in front (although I would agree that it is a misnomer, in the same way that peeps refer to 'the' Kaiser Chiefs).
I disagree viz the rubbish statement. The Kaiser Chiefs is a reference to a thing it makes sense. HMS is an abbreviation of Her Majesties Ship. There is no requirement for the "The".

As I said, You can "sit on the chair", you can "sit on her chair" but you don't say I "sit on the her chair."

I boarded HMS Belfast, I boarded the Belfast, I boarded the Her Majesties Ship Belfast. See, it's just wrong.

If that makes me a poncey pedant sailor then I'm not fussed either !! :D

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Where's gethinceri when we need him? The only person who can answer a question on the English language is a Welshman ;)

Top Bottom