The pedantic, speeling and grammer thread's

ExtremeNinja

Karting amateur
Contributor
I didn't have a clue, because I am unfamiliar with the word; "manna". Use of the correct spelling would have indicated to me that you weren't misusing or misspelling the word; "manor", which I know to mean something else. ;)

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Contributor
The problem with bad grammar and spelling is that they lead to errors which make what is being written turn out to mean something else. One well known example of the use of commas is:

Eats shoots and leaves.
Eats shoots, and leaves.
Eats, shoots and leaves.
Eats, shoots, and leaves.

ExtremeNinja

Karting amateur
Contributor
Question:

Why do we write "John's" or "Paul's" but we don't write "it's" when we talk about ownership or belonging. Why no apostrophe in "its".

e.g. The monkey opened its mouth.

I get caught out by this all the time. It's a booby trap, I tell thee. Designed to make a fool of me. But why?

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Contributor
Question:

Why do we write "John's" or "Paul's" but we don't write "it's" when we talk about ownership or belonging. Why no apostrophe in "its".

I get caught out by this all the time. It's a booby trap, I tell thee. Designed to make a fool of me. But why?
We don't put a apostrophe in his or hers either or any personal pronoun. One of the rules.

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff member
I have studied a few languages and of all of them, English is the one which breaks the rules most and has more exceptions than the others.
Whether that be spelling, punctuation, pronunciation, etc.

It really is a difficult language to learn for non-native speakers.

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff member
Well I'm Welsh by birth but English is my first language. I moved away from Wales when I was very young so don't spit a word of it.

Mephistopheles

Banned
Contributor
Parentheses(...)

Some people call them brackets but brackets look like this [....] and have a different use.

You can use parentheses to enclose words or figures that clarify or are used as an aside.

Examples

He gave me five hundred pounds (£500)

He finally answered (after taking five minutes to think) that he did not understand the question.

You can also use commas but they show more importance and the sentence could become confusing.

He finally answered, after taking five minutes to think, that he did not understand the question.

Or you could use em dashes

He finally answered —after taking five minutes to think— that he did not understand the question.

em dashes should not be confused with en dashes or hyphens, em dashes are the width of an m and an en dash is the width of an n and is a little longer than an hyphen.

If you look at your keyboard you will not see an em dash key anywhere so how do I type one? I hear you ask.

The answer is, hold down the alt key and type 0151 on the keypad making sure the numlock is on. —

Next I will talk about brackets unless you are too bored or someone else wants to do it. :goodday:

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff member
Taken from a post on Facebook.

I was gna write that but thort it would have been a bit cheeky! Lol . . . But seems though you offered of course you can be my taxi driver!
Disregarding the other errors, the two which stand out for me are:
thort = thought
seems = seeing as

:rolleyes:

Mephistopheles

Banned
Contributor
I am not a pedant but reading that made my eyes bleed, contractions were made up for SMS as it has a character limit there is absolutely no excuse for using it anywhere else is there m8

Seems though is longer than seeing as how old was this person 2?

Mephistopheles

Banned
Contributor
Question:

its => belonging to, the mouth belongs to the monkey.
it's => it is, the apostrophe in this case signifies you have left out a letter just like Don't means do not you should never use these types of contractions when writing an essay or a report it is bad grammar.

The monkey opened it's mouth => The monkey opened it is mouth, which is clearly wrong

Mezzer

A fine chap if ever there was one.
Contributor
there is absolutely no excuse for using it anywhere else is there m8
Totally agree. While the death penalty for such an offence might be a tad too far, only a slight reduction in punishment would likely be appropriate.

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
I believe Guantanamo Bay has some free space these days, although not as much as President Obama promised there would be by 2012.

ExtremeNinja

Karting amateur
Contributor
its => belonging to, the mouth belongs to the monkey.
it's => it is, the comma in this case signifies you have left out a letter just like Don't means do not you should never use these types of contractions when writing an essay or a report it is bad grammar.

The monkey opened it's mouth => The monkey opened it is mouth, which is clearly wrong
That distinction was not in need of any explanation. I am very clear about the use of apostrophes to denote abbreviations.

I opened Mestipo's mouth. :D

ExtremeNinja

Karting amateur
Contributor
Do you know. I thank that was iPad autocorrect. If so, then I'd like to know what the hell a Mestipo is too. It just did it again. Hmm. These things are odd. It must be a mis-learning from a previous post.

Next question: how do you unteach autocorrect?

Top Bottom