The Grand National

Whoever wins i won’t have money on it.
i know ive given up on researching. i just go with copying ruby walsh & lucky dip. if they both finish im happy i think 2021. both horses dropped out by start of 2nd lap.

& annoying last few years of i get any money its normally from the lucky dip :D

my hopes for the grand national today. i like the irony of getting carefully selected from a lucky dip LOL
temp 7.jpg

lifetime ambition looked so good until it had a loose horse in its way & no way to avoid it. but a brilliant ride from the winner ive not seen winning margin like that for a long time

Most bizarre interview on R4 this morning. Apparently the horses which fell at the first fence in the National was all as a result of the protesters, it had nothing to do with people sitting on the back of the horse beating them with whips and kicking them to make them do something they probably didn't want to.

So there you go - horse racing good, protesting against a cruel and barbaric sport bad.

i can only go what ive watched & what i see. they are some of the most well treated & cared for animals in the world, looked after by people who love horses. ive seen the jockeys & trainers distraught if anything has happened to them, like a death in the family.

but in that 4.45 - 5.30pm window of padding i thought it was very interesting 3 presenters know more than i ever will, tony mccoy said he became a jockey because he loves horses & mick fizgerald was telling us how it is a 24 hour a day 7 days a week job, he will be back on sunday helping out. they have an open door policy. anyone can come & watch, ask questions. numerous pundits & trainers who knows these more than anyone where saying how they were actually causing more harm than good, because everything was planned for 5.15, they would be getting warm, jittery & harder to control because of uncertainty caused

it is extremely sad but doesnt everything has risk, this is a forum about mainly 1 of the most dangerous sports there are motorsport, just look at the sad death of Craig Breen last week. or Bianchi, Wilson, Hubert, Wheldon. or serious injuries of Franchitti, Monteiro, Massa, Correa, Grosjean, Billy Monger, just in the last decade

its an emotive topic thats clear in the last few days from discussions, you will always have people on both sides of it & i know from the tv side more than sporting side, lt is obviously a massive British event it is 1 of 12 ring fenced sporting events (effectively 10 because 1 only applies in scotland & Olympics is an IOC robbery & farce) that must be shown on free to air tv.

viewing figures that anyone would be proud of

-------------------------------
but on the separate point & im probably not looking in the right place. wondering if you could answer few questions as im interested as always like to learn more if i can FB. because i can only have an opinion on knowledge i have at the time

1 - Why was there no protests at the Cheltenham Gold Cup, Irish or Scottish Grand Nationals which are still very long distances, 30+ horses & going over fences

2 - if Horse Racing is banned in a hypothetical world. what happens to all horses that for want of a better word. have had there main purpose taken away for safety reasons

F1Brits_90 two points: Firstly, these people claim to "love horses". I love my dog, I would not, therefore, force him to take part in an event where there is strong chance he might die. Secondly, horse racing only exists for the benefit of the gambling industry.

In terms of the risk, F1 drivers, ultra marathon runners, downhill skiers, sky divers, etc, etc,choos to put themselves at risk, they do not force another sentient being to take risks by beating them with whips. All horse racing is a disgrace. Flat racing might just about be tolerable, but steeplechase and national hunt should go the way of fox hunting.

In relation to the TV coverage, I'm a Celebrity and Strictly Come Dancing get millions of viewers, it doesn't mean they are not sh!t.

In relation to the TV coverage, I'm a Celebrity and Strictly Come Dancing get millions of viewers, it doesn't mean they are not sh!t.
thats a matter of opinion but you can't deny its not popular. it will shock you some people think F1 is :censored: as well. but 400,000 go to british gp every year & sells out months in advance. so it must be popular

but true, gambling is a massive part of horse racing. but as i was saying which i have found the answers to why not Cheltenham which is just as bad as Aintree the 2 main races of the year & also what happens to horses when horse racing is banned because I've quite few people say that more horses die in the field than on the racecourse

If horses are forced FB why do the horses that unseat their jockey's still run and jump even though some of them trail pack? The use of the whip is very carefully scrutinised and excessive use or force is forbidden, having said all that I don't watch it or bet on it, that's on the flat steeple chasing or whatever, it's just not my scene. Considering the care the horses get, the enjoyment of millions and continual upgrading of horses safety it's not my place as a minority to interfere, it's not a blood sport, but I would object if they put jockey's in a safety cage and I'm not that keen on handicapping, My preference is if the horse is quick let it win, you wouldn't make Usain Bolt carry weights to slow him up so why a horse?

The use of the whip is very carefully scrutinised and excessive use or force is forbidden
Yeah, we have a similar thing at work. My line manager is allowed to kick me in the bollocks if I'm not working hard enough. It's OK though because the head of HR is on hand to ensure my testicles are not hit with excessive frequency or force.

thats a matter of opinion but you can't deny its not popular. it will shock you some people think F1 is :censored: as well. but 400,000 go to british gp every year & sells out months in advance. so it must be popular
Thank you for picking up on the one piece of my argument that was least relevant. I suspect if we still had bear baiting and licensed dog and cock fights they would still be popular. However, in a society which has moved on from medieval practices these are now illegal and banned.

Dartman the horses continue to run and jump as they have been trained to do that, it's got nothing to do with them "wanting to", they are simply brainwashed in to believing this is what they do from when they are foals. Remember Oleg who though Vladimr Putin's war in the Ukraine was perfectly acceptable? If you can brainwash a human to believe wrong is right I'm pretty sure you can do it to a horse.

On horses which die in training, I will give you this quote from Animal Aid:

‘Animal Aid traces all on-course deaths of horses in Britain, but the details of horses who are killed in training are unknown and are hidden from the public.
‘If the regulatory boards for Britain and Ireland are to address this issue, then both need to release figures to the public regarding how many horses have died in training for the past five years, the ages of those horses and the reasons for their deaths.’

This was after a couple of jockeys who clearly "love horses" were photographed sitting on the bodies of the recently deceased animals laughing. Not a blood sport?

Anyway, I will leave this now as I really didn't want to get drawn in to a discussion on an abhorrent, so called "sport".

Back
Top Bottom