Politics The EU

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
I have an acquaintance who lived in Switzerland for several years. He said that it was near impossible to get anything done as if it was of any import they would hold a referendum; yes, then they had to hold another referendum to fix the first one as the general populace didn't have the knowledge of making laws that the lawmakers do.

Complaints that the EU allows individual countries to set their tax rates? I thought that one of the reasons people want to leave is so that they could do things like set their own rates of tax.

It seems that Hunt and Johnson both want to join the race to the bottom as it will raise more revenue: until the next country decides to undercut us, of course. The trouble is that the EU allows member states to behave just as they like.

If we were a large enough market the Japanese would have kept the car factories here as it would be advantageous after brexit when we charged them import duty; but we are not and that lack of size is going to be a problem when we are trying to get trade agreements.

I wouldn't be surprised if people blame the EU for freedom of movement next.:snigger:

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
The fact is, the only way the EU would function fairly is if it abandoned national interest and became a formal federal body. There are a number of countries that wouldn't let that happen. They are content to use the EU to hide bad news but national governments still wish to retain a controlling influence.

After Maastricht it was the only way to solve the EU governance issues. Either a common market with very little regulation or a full blown United States of Europe.

You can't do it by half measures.

The rights and wrongs of either option are a separate debate entirely.

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
So Jezza as a life long leaver has now agreed to about face and make Labour the party of remain, apparently at the insistence of the big Unions.

The Union attitude I find puzzling as they have in my head always been anti EU due to the threat of jobs being lost to cheap foreign labour, the wage suppression problem, the outsourcing of manufacturing to overseas companies especially in Eastern Europe and several other reasons.

There are a lot of leopards scrubbing at their spots here.

The other problem is that what was once a decision that had supporters on both sides of the house has now become even more polarised.

We have most of the Tory party wanting Brexit and then every other party wanting to remain as their official policy.

This means if you are a Labour leaver you are going to be very confused.

The mess gets even more messy.

RasputinLives

Not dead
Contributor
Unfortunately this is political parties taking the UK public for dumb dumbs again. Labour think by declaring remain they will hoover up all the remain votes that were split across various parties at the last election (Europeans). However they've took this stance too late and that's all too obvious to the voting public that its not genuine. No one is going to buy this.

Last edited:

Izumi

Points Scorer
Dr. Ursula von der Leyen is replacing Mr. Juncker. Collateral damage is Secretary General Martin Selmayr, who will most likely resign from courtesy to avail his job to another a candidate from different nationality. It was close call for Ursula, but it is what it is. She would not oppose extending Brexit deadline beyond Oct., if there is a reason for it, and others approve it..

Ursula von der Leyen confirmed to head EU Commission

Last edited:

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
Well. We shall see. I guess we will know all about her in a very short space of time.

Last edited:

Izumi

Points Scorer
No one knows who she is? Well, all what you need to know is, that she is a proponent of The United States of Europe (as she let out on one occasion some time ago). Truth also is, many people leaning towards liberal agenda are hopping mad this morning over her appointment. Truth also is, in November she will be solely on her own, without Chancellor's helping hand. All what I can say, good luck, Ursula. To quote P. Harris (quoting her mother): Don't let them to tell you who you are! You tell them who you are. Period.

Last edited:

Dartman

Points Scorer
United States of Europe will be the most dis-united state ever, bit like Utopia and communism in its purest form, a dream of the intellectual class sadly missing in common sense

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
Political bodies that have only one person on the ballot paper for leader:

Democratic Peoples Republic of North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of China
The European Union

LOL

Izumi

Points Scorer
It may have escaped to some in here, that 747 elected representatives of 28 nations (rowdy crowd) was not totally without an option to vote this candidate out, and simply restart the voting process from scratch. I didn't know North Koreans have the same option.
Current Commission is on the job until end of October, so there was time to reset the process. Somehow in the paella of views cool heads prevailed, and she came on the top as a substitute for fellow party "Spitzenkandidat" Weber, when he withdrew his nomination.

Last edited:

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
If I understand correctly she got 52% of the vote.

Dangerous margin that. Apparently 52% should lead to 3 years of arguments, proverication and ultimately huge calls for another vote so that people can change their mind.

LOL

Izumi

Points Scorer
If I understand correctly she got 52% of the vote.

Dangerous margin that. Apparently 52% should lead to 3 years of arguments, provarication and ultimately huge calls for another vote so that people can change their mind.

LOL
That's call life when people are searching for solutions, and leaders are short of those. This all in era when political scientist are seeking how to correct excesses of capitalism without falling into trap repeating mistakes of the past. When I scan UK political scene, just as US, I would be careful critique Brussels too much.

Izumi

Points Scorer
United States of Europe will be the most dis-united state ever, bit like Utopia and communism in its purest form, a dream of the intellectual class sadly missing in common sense
Quite often thinking out of the box helps us to understand evolving parameters of the change.

Andyoak

Race Winner
Izumi, most people struggle with working for the common good in their own families. To think they can drop their self interest for something as huge as a federal Europe is beyond naive: it's delusional.

Izumi

Points Scorer
You guys have resolved your issues with Brexit-wall, whereas I am searching for a different solution. That's about it, and I do not feel its burden on me, or anyone else I know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom