Politics The EU

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
Cut the ropes. Let The Island of Ireland float of into the sunset.
Sorry is that politically incorrect.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
The entire Island, North and South. Some in the North want to be part of the UK, but they don’t actually like The UK. It’s always puzzled me. I can only think they are trying to piss off the rest of Northern Ireland and Eire.
Should I put my tin helmet on ?

Last edited:

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
it's a topic that is bound to be a delicate subject therefore extreme caution when discussing this subject is advised.

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
I'm very confused, Nicky Morgan, a Tory Remainer, is going to back Michael Gove, a long time leaver.

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
The entire Island, North and South. Some in the North want to be part of the UK, but they don’t actually like The UK. It’s always puzzled me. I can only think they are trying to piss of the rest of Northern Ireland and Eire.
Should I put my tin helmet on ?
theres a joke from andy parsons about that Scottish hate the English
Irish hate the English
Welsh hate the English
even majority of English hate the English

& 2nd part thats the problem when vast majority of people were massively under informed. & northern Ireland was afterthought. the potential re-emergence of the IRA only thought a yr later

Last edited:

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
.... thats the problem when vast majority of people were massively under informed. & northern Ireland was afterthought. the potential re-emergence of the IRA only thought a yr later
But say that to a Brexiter and they will say that they knew exactly what they were voting for.:s

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
One of the peculiar things about the Irish border question is that I don't recall either leave or remain making much mention of this as an issue during the debate before the referendum.

Andyoak

Race Winner
Same here, FB.

But I don't think it was even considered.

Leave were convinced that the EU would agree trade and travel terms as part of the exit negotiations.

Remain never thought they'd lose.

Nobody thought about the Irish border... Except the EU.
It was the ace up their sleeve.

sobriety

Pole Sitter
Thing is, even if Remain had considered/mentioned the Irish border, good ol' nige would have called it project fear and moved on.

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
If we go back a year or two before the Brexit referendum, the seeds of the story regarding borders could be found in the Scottish independence referendum. The subject of a hard border between an independent Scotland outside of the EU and the UK was briefly raised and instantly dismissed as rediculous by both the Yes and No camps.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I think I recall the subject of the NI border briefly entering the conversation at the time of the referendum but neither side discussed it any depth.

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
both sides are guilty of what we are in because I remember there was a lot trying to point score against each other instead of informing. which let the misinformation run riot & lies spill out. I was watching a video on twitter, it summed up some people from the leave side, he asked a question to 1 the big mouth pieces who invited the remain guy. he asked how is a no deal good for the uk. after a lot of mumbling he just said "im sure it will be fine" which is very reassuring

not sure how accurate this picture is but is how we ended up where we are
D8e0hHyXkAIpC-O.jpg

Angel

🧸 Smile, it might never happen.
Contributor
I have never liked Gove, he's one of the last people I'd want as PM personally. Mind you after his drugs confession he hopefully won't get the job anyway.

Trying desperately not to make any tasteless jokes about no deals being left on the table when he's around :whistle:

As for the Irish issue, there really is no easy answer to that, but has there ever been? I mean seriously, has there ever been a time when there wasn't something going on there? I know we've had relative peace for a good few years recently but I always got the sense trouble was bubbling just under the surface and it wouldn't take much for it to start up again. I take no pleasure from realising that was the case.

sobriety

Pole Sitter
I'm not a huge fan of Gove either, but he does have a reputation of being a sharp cookie, knowing his brief and getting things done. I think that if you want Brexit to happen, and happen relatively smoothly then he's probably a good choice.

As to NI, we're a generation or two too soon to start prodding the situation there, the troubles aren't far enough in the past yet,

gethinceri

Daniil Kvyat Fan. Alfa Romeo Fan.
Contributor
"I did coke in my youth and I ****ing loved it" might get him more votes.
They're pricks when they say they regret it, they only regret it because somebody spills the beans.

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
Exactly.

it's like that lady who has been dragged over hot coals for screaming "Nazi" at that bloke during Trump's visit. She only issued an apology to stave off any retribution. She would have behaved the same week in week out if she hadn't been filmed doing what she did.

Top Bottom