Politics The EU

Dartman

Points Scorer
I would have thought that was only to be expected, taking German history it would hardly be left wing and the centre is woolly, no elite unit is woolly

Izumi

Points Scorer
Problem has been identified, and is being addressed, so let's don't make a mountain out of a molehill. Unfortunately there are political groups, domestic, and international, which feed to it, in pursuit of their own selfish interests. Plenty other undercurrents are running undeterred around the world, and there is plenty to worry about, as various actors in power around the world are depleting resources of lands for benefit of a few, destroying ancient civilizations, yet here we will be worrying about handful of hardheads instead, giving them historical lectures? Try to think about stereotyping, and misguided focus.

Izumi

Points Scorer
A lecture about stereotyping from then man who references Britain's 'colonial' past at every chance he gets. Interesting.
I didn't mean to offend anyone, and apologize if I have. I would however suggest you go back and seek to understand context in which "colonial" past was raised. It is true that I have raised the issue here couple of times, however fact of the matter is, this only because someone else pointed out to it in an article (written mostly by British academicians) which I have either cross referenced, or at least mentioned, and which was written with purpose to understand behavior and motives of your government. I do not recall in recent memory (if ever) that I would sit down once, and think how I can p*** people around on this forum by reminding them of their past. One cannot escape to such thoughts however when observing British politics of late. PM talking about being free again (to do what?), UK First says he, leading World politically, and so on. Perhaps someone on the outside see it differently from you, since you are exposed to such mindset whole your life, so don't get offended. Germans, old and young, have to apologies to whole world for sins of their grandfathers in last century twenty (or many) times a year, and that for past 70+ years, every year, and it's never enough for some people.
We all carry some burden from past, but to understand where we are heading as human race, it is useful (IMHO) to understand mindset of people at the helm on international stage in our time slot. I think we can agree on that. Your nation likes past glory, your measurements in inches, your weight in stones units, etc., and nothing wrong about it, but world around you is moving forward, with or without you. You guys have lectured me about democracy, yet you have house of lords, the queen, and now this government. Some things we might not resolve, but it would be good to join 21st century.

Last edited:

RasputinLives

Not dead
Contributor
Very interesting. So as nearly all EU countries (certainly the western ones) have a history of building empires and colonies and treating them brutally, more so than the UK, do you think they need to acknowledge this and think about it before forming a European Union? I mean brining in the eastern European states could be seen as colonisation given that they are now basically reliant on the other members financially. Isn't the EU just empire building.

As for your remarks on our democratic system. I feel they don't fit in that post. Don't use all your good stuff at once. Hold on to it and see if you can use it later.

Izumi

Points Scorer
Very interesting. So as nearly all EU countries (certainly the western ones) have a history of building empires and colonies and treating them brutally, more so than the UK, do you think they need to acknowledge this and think about it before forming a European Union? I mean brining in the eastern European states could be seen as colonisation given that they are now basically reliant on the other members financially. Isn't the EU just empire building.

As for your remarks on our democratic system. I feel they don't fit in that post. Don't use all your good stuff at once. Hold on to it and see if you can use it later.
Rasputin, if I look for dirt under the carpet, I can find it on many places. Point is, I am not interested in doing that. I am not such person, and I do not want to waste my free time on stupid things of that kind. We are discussing British, and British mindset, in Britain made politics because it affects me one way or another, just as many other Europeans. From all mess in any corner in EU, Brexit seems to top them all, which is why it is in focus.
It is part of my psyche, for good or bad, that generally I do like to understand how machine works, how things are done, and why people behave as they do. Believe or not, you would be surprise how many times in my walks (metime) I have been considering whether Brits have a point. Haven't find one yet. In here it seems it unintentionally offended some people, but I said sorry already.

Last edited:

RasputinLives

Not dead
Contributor
Actually we weren't we were discussing British mindset, we were discussing right wing elements in the German military in a thread called the EU and you took umbridge and told us we shouldn't be stereotyping. Maybe you should start a thread called British Mindset? I'd love to read about it. Not here through, here we are discussion the EU.

Izumi

Points Scorer
Actually we weren't we were discussing British mindset, we were discussing right wing elements in the German military in a thread called the EU and you took umbridge and told us we shouldn't be stereotyping. Maybe you should start a thread called British Mindset? I'd love to read about it. Not here through, here we are discussion the EU.
As pointed out already, problem has been identified, and it is being addressed by authorities. How much longer you want to discuss it? I am not going to start any (forgive me, silly) thread as suggested. You can smirk at it, but it really doesn't irritates me.
Everything what I know about British mindset is from working with Brits in foreign lands for over twenty years like Canada, US, or China. I didn't enjoyed their presence. People working with me in Italy were just fine, good to have a beer in late night hours. Personnel from US in Japan - the same thing, similar behavior, it was just terrible.
Substantive assessment about mindset is limited to what I learned from Brexit writings by various British academicians, and they weren't always kind. That's about it.
You may not like it, but maybe you can discuss it, instead almost always telling me, OK we have done bad things in the past, but others did the same or worse, pick on them. I am not interested in such discussions, but I would like to understand why a nation of Newton and some other great people you are leaving, especially when road ahead doesn't look to me as walk in the park.

Last edited:

Dartman

Points Scorer
I've posted before that one of the reasons for Brexit is that the EU wants to go down the federal route i.e the United states of Europe, possibly not all countries want this and it seems many of the population don't, irrespective of that the UK is more centre right and the EU is centre left, there will always be conflict of opinions on the way to go. There can be an agreement on unilateral trade, but not politics, it is better to let us go and let the EU go their way and us ours we can live in the same road but not in the same house and definitely not sleep in the same bed

RasputinLives

Not dead
Contributor
Also we discussed it for all of 4 posts before you huffed about it where as you've been going on about 'British mindset' and the same point about Brexit for about 6 months now. Feels slightly like you love to look at other people's faults but aren't very good at looking at your own. What you should have learnt from Brits for all these far off lands (Suffolk?) you've worked in is that we are very good at being self-critical hence why colonial only ever seems to apply to us and not the rest of Europe who slaughters massive African populations to try and build their own empires.

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
Everything what I know about British mindset is from working with Brits in foreign lands for over twenty years like Canada, US, or China. I didn't enjoyed their presence
So what you are saying is that from your brief experience working with a handful of British people you don't like the British and this dislike helps to form your opinion of British attitudes to Europe and Brexit.

It's a shame that you feel that way. Like all place's, people's and cultures there are good and bad in everyone.

I can explain some common positive traits of British culture but sadly I feel it would fall on deaf ears.

Izumi

Points Scorer
Also we discussed it for all of 4 posts before you huffed about it where as you've been going on about 'British mindset' and the same point about Brexit for about 6 months now. Feels slightly like you love to look at other people's faults but aren't very good at looking at your own. What you should have learnt from Brits for all these far off lands (Suffolk?) you've worked in is that we are very good at being self-critical hence why colonial only ever seems to apply to us and not the rest of Europe who slaughters massive African populations to try and build their own empires.
So what you are saying is that from your brief experience working with a handful of British people you don't like the British and this dislike helps to form your opinion of British attitudes to Europe and Brexit.

It's a shame that you feel that way. Like all place's, people's and cultures there are good and bad in everyone.

I can explain some common positive traits of British culture but sadly I feel it would fall on deaf ears.
I am not deaf, but we all have some experience with other cultures, good, and not so good. I am not different.

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
Back on topic.

This isn't great news at a time when Europe needs stability to counter any economic effects of Brexit. With the German economy apparently on the brink of recession it seems like troubled waters ahead.

vintly

Mostly bacon
Premium Contributor
I think the EU should pass a bill making it obligatory for forum websites to have an 'ignore thread' feature built in.

RasputinLives

Not dead
Contributor
*sigh* thats the problem with the British mindset right there vintly. You just want to completley ignore when someone who has spoken to someone about something in a galaxy far far away comes here to tell us what is wrong with the way we think about things.

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
Mod Chat.

OK folks. We've all had an exchange of views. Let's now return to the topics and not the poster's.

C_a_T the Mod

Top Bottom