Politics The EU

Dartman

Points Scorer
The UN Security Council has a veto, every member of the council has veto, there is no way any sovereign nation would sensibly hand that veto to a collection of nations that may vote against that nations wishes or agenda. @Izuyou either are completely brainwashed by the EU or you do not understand national independence, there is a third, however that would call in to question you mental state, so I wont mention it. Perhaps in your praise for your Mutti you should take into account the time she has been head of state in Germany and the time Boris Johnson has been prime minister, note not head of state, our head of state is often consulted by many heads of state and prime ministers, regarding China, there was an agreement regarding Hong Kong and its special case in its position in the Chinese country, it would appear that Hong Kong is now a threat to the communist control of mainland China and should be bought to heel under the communist yoke, if you agree with that, and your continual criticisms of the UK in reference to the EU one can only assume that democracy is not one of your strong points

Izumi

Points Scorer
To prevent any misunderstanding, should there be one, Ireland's Phil Hogan is appointed as trade commissioner for post-Brexit era. His tenure would be five years.
(News) France 24:
The EU's chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier could yet see an extension to his mandate, which was supposed to have ended after the withdrawal agreement was struck with London, von der Leyen acknowledged.
Phil Hogan will work closely with Dr. Sabine Weyand, newly appointed (promoted) to EU Directorate-General for Trade. Her previous job was EU Deputy Chief Negotiator for the Brexit process, and generally acknowledged a brain behind a Brexit deal on the table.

It has been said, this girl works day-in-day-out for twelve hours in the office, and then another 3 hours before bed time, preparing for next day. (What a life. She reminds me of someone...) Apparently UK negotiators liked working with her.

Last edited:

Izumi

Points Scorer
The UN Security Council has a veto, every member of the council has veto, there is no way any sovereign nation would sensibly hand that veto to a collection of nations that may vote against that nations wishes or agenda. @Izuyou either are completely brainwashed by the EU or you do not understand national independence, there is a third, however that would call in to question you mental state, so I wont mention it. Perhaps in your praise for your Mutti you should take into account the time she has been head of state in Germany and the time Boris Johnson has been prime minister, note not head of state, our head of state is often consulted by many heads of state and prime ministers, regarding China, there was an agreement regarding Hong Kong and its special case in its position in the Chinese country, it would appear that Hong Kong is now a threat to the communist control of mainland China and should be bought to heel under the communist yoke, if you agree with that, and your continual criticisms of the UK in reference to the EU one can only assume that democracy is not one of your strong points
I am not sure what's your problem, but cider suggested switch in UN on security council by France giving up their seat for an EU seat. While I agree it would be a good idea, I also think US would veto it (not allow that to be realized). In response you are barking on me that I do not understand democracy. Go and figure...

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
Personally I see a seat on the UN Security Council as the EU to be something highly likely in line with the principle of a common EU foreign policy.

Since the UK would presumably no longer be part of the EU by the time this would be agreed then the French seat is the only option to enable this to be enacted.

With America very much in favour of Europe taking more ownership of their own affairs, especially financially, I would imagine this would get a cautious backing from the US.

It would also bring to the table the voices of some of the stronger EU nations, such as Germany who at the moment, have no direct access to the Security Council.

I would imagine more resistance to this idea could come from Russia as this would enable some Eastern European countries to express a more direct criticism of Russian foreign policy with the weight of EU security Council opinion behind them. We have seen the East versus West influences scrap pull the Ukraine apart which has lead to all sorts of problems.

Dartman

Points Scorer
That was my reply to your post nothing to do with cider_and_toast, more your reference to the UK being past it and basically living in the past. Let's admit it the EU is conglomerate of small population states ruled by Germany and France, there is little or no knowledge of running a heavily populated island nation and apparently not really interested

Izumi

Points Scorer
Personally I see a seat on the UN Security Council as the EU to be something highly likely in line with the principle of a common EU foreign policy.

Since the UK would presumably no longer be part of the EU by the time this would be agreed then the French seat is the only option to enable this to be enacted.

With America very much in favour of Europe taking more ownership of their own affairs, especially financially, I would imagine this would get a cautious backing from the US.

It would also bring to the table the voices of some of the stronger EU nations, such as Germany who at the moment, have no direct access to the Security Council.

I would imagine more resistance to this idea could come from Russia as this would enable some Eastern European countries to express a more direct criticism of Russian foreign policy with the weight of EU security Council opinion behind them. We have seen the East versus West influences scrap pull the Ukraine apart which has lead to all sorts of problems.
I agree with most written in here, however with US it is problematic. There were problems recently. When former president Bush passed away, EU has not received even invitation to attend funeral.
New York Times:
BRUSSELS — The Trump administration downgraded the diplomatic status of the European Union’s delegation to the United States last year without making a formal announcement or informing the bloc about the change, a European official said on Tuesday.
After protest from Brussels and discussion between the European Union and the Trump administration, the reclassification of the delegation and the consequent demotion of the ambassador, David O’Sullivan, is understood to have been reversed, at least temporarily, the official said.
Mr. Trump has been critical of multilateral institutions, and his secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, delivered a provocative speech in Brussels on Dec. 4 in which he questioned the value of multinational organizations and institutions like the United Nations and the European Union. Mr. Pompeo then asked whether the European Union was “ensuring that the interests of countries and their citizens are placed before those of bureaucrats here in Brussels.”
Pompeo, and some other officials of similar ilk treats EU, and especially Germany, as an irritant and afterthought. Making appointments, and then not showing up and flying to ME instead is his MO. High contempt is unmistakable.

Last edited:

RasputinLives

Not dead
Contributor
Izumi why would EU get an invite to Bush's funeral? He had little to no dealings with them as the EU wasn't really a thing back then. The UK however were one of his main allies.

You can't demand respect it has to be earned.

Dartman

Points Scorer
The EU is not a nation, look at the title United Nations Security Council, it does not say conglomerate of nations, for the EU to be a representative on the security council the the status if the UN would have to change, I'm not sure that about three block votes and possibly a couple of independent countries is the way to go, the UN has very little teeth now and would have even less should conglomerates of nations become the norm.
The problem is that the UN never has been united and is just about capable of handling small third world nations, but absolutely toothless when the big nations become involved i.e Syria

Last edited:

Izumi

Points Scorer

RasputinLives

Not dead
Contributor
I also checked the people in attendance. Nearly every head of state from every EU country. Including Merkle. I guess high school (an American term by the way not a British or German one) lectures are worth listening to sometimes :D

Izumi

Points Scorer
John Bolton is history. On one hand I am relieved, on the other hand I am really concerned what happens next, because every time I think we have reached bottom, only to learn shortly after there are many new bottoms yet to be discovered.

Top Bottom