Politics The EU

RasputinLives

Not dead
Contributor
Speaking of Norway. I was doing a bit of reading on them a while ago because of all the talk of them not being in the EU(they are in EFTA of course which is in the EEA Treaty but it's not the same thing) and the UK wanting a deal like them. Turns out they have the most expensive petrol, food and alcohol in the world but are still ranked as the best place to live in the world! Check this article out.

I'm not saying the UK could be like Norway I'm suggesting we all move to Norway.

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
I've visited Norway several times. A beautiful country.

You definitely don't want to try and get drunk there unless you've got a full wallet. Beers are expensive.

They pay a high rate of income tax but as I understand it, they don't pay local, council taxes.

I read somewhere that the Fiords have won awards

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Vienna has just overtaken Melbourne as the supposed best place in the world to live. Never been to Melbourne, flew through Vienna once on my way to the Czech Republic (I know, an arse about face way to get there). The problem with al of these things, and life in general in the 21st century, is that it's often measured from a purely economic perspective and there is much more to life than money and your standard of living.

RasputinLives

Not dead
Contributor
I have spent time in both Vienna and Melbourne in my youth and I was much poorer in Melbourne but have to say it had the edge of Vienna for me because is as singing Ultravox the whole time I was there.

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
Vienna is wonderful. It is my favourite European city by a distance. I spent a week there with the wife a few years ago. We had a proper cultural tour. Drank wine, ate beautiful food, visited museums, art galleries, saw the Spanish riding school, met some wonderful people. I'd go back tomorrow if I could.

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
In the Vienna Military Museum they have the very car in which the Arch Duke Ferdinand and his wife were riding when they were shot in Sarajevo in 1914. The wife and I spent a while just staring at it. So much bloodshed and so many lives lost because of the vanity of one individual.

It's a fascinating building which covers all aspects of Austria's military history, not shying away from the later years. Having said that, it's hard to miss because in the middle of the beautifully kept gardens outside the Palace is a gigantic monolithic concrete flak tower that stands there I guess to remind people that you can't hide from your past.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
I’m afraid my memories of Vienna are very bad. I had the most awful attack of food poisoning, I thought I was going to die.
Never again.

Izumi

Points Scorer
Vienna has just overtaken Melbourne as the supposed best place in the world to live. Never been to Melbourne, flew through Vienna once on my way to the Czech Republic (I know, an arse about face way to get there). The problem with al of these things, and life in general in the 21st century, is that it's often measured from a purely economic perspective and there is much more to life than money and your standard of living
New Rule: Capitalism PLUS | Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO)

Last edited:

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
I think a good start to improve the European voice on a global stage is for France to resign its seat on the UN Security Council and turn it over to a representative from the EU so that, on UN security matters there would be greater EU input.

I'm surprised that France hasn't proposed this as a nation right at the heart of EU integration.

Izumi

Points Scorer
I think a good start to improve the European voice on a global stage is for France to resign its seat on the UN Security Council and turn it over to a representative from the EU so that, on UN security matters there would be greater EU input.

I'm surprised that France hasn't proposed this as a nation right at the heart of EU integration.
US would veto it, because that would mean recognition that EU exists, which current administration has difficulty with.

Dartman

Points Scorer
The UK has a seat in the Security Council and no way would the UK allow the EU to speak for it Brexit or not, and that is one of the reasons why the UK wants out, the EU is not going to speak on their behalf whether or not the UK believes in or not the EU stance

Izumi

Points Scorer
The UK has a seat in the Security Council and no way would the UK allow the EU to speak for it Brexit or not, and that is one of the reasons why the UK wants out, the EU is not going to speak on their behalf whether or not the UK believes in or not the EU stance
Well, you are VERY important, or should I say you used to be very important? You can add your voice to someone else these days on world stage, as you undoubtedly will, however how much influence you will have as stand alone entity remains to be seen, which is why I would not make at this stage too many strong statements. People travel from far away lands to consult with Chancellor Merkel. Remind me how many came to consult with Mr. Johnson or (his bodyguard) Mr. Cummings? BTW, has Mr. Cummings registered as a foreign lobbyist yet?

Guardian:
China’s ambassador to the UK has accused British politicians of exhibiting a “colonial mindset” when they express support for demonstrators in Hong Kong or raise concerns about Huawei or freedom of navigation in the South China Sea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom