• Yes

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

Hamberg

FOTA VIP, I've got the avatar to prove it :)
Contributor
We have the prisoners right to vote case, but what other cases have their been where the ECHR has made decisions that are bad for Britain?

I'm struggling to think of any.

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Abu Hamza got 4 years extra in the UK hiding behind the European Human Rights act and probably cost British tax payers a shit load of money.

On August 4 2008, the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg ruled that Hamza should not be extradited until judges could examine his case. The Home Office said it would abide by the court's request.

On April 10 2012, Europe's human rights judges ruled that Hamza, along with four other terror suspects, would not be subject to ''ill-treatment'' in America and their extradition was lawful.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/9590016/Key-events-in-battle-to-extradite-Abu-Hamza.html

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff member
Too many cases to mention I suspect.

Just another layer of bureaucracy we can do without.

Hamberg

FOTA VIP, I've got the avatar to prove it :)
Contributor
Okay I can see the argument there although (surprise) I have a different take and agreed with this process.

They didn't block it - which is important.

The EU wanted conditions examined and a guarantee the death penalty wouldn't be used. US conditions including remand are what many, including the UN regard as torture.

I guess stance on torture/extradition/death penalty will influence opinions heavily on this subject.

That said, the decision will set a precedent not only for terrorism suspects extraditions to the US but also including those with physical and mental disability (as two in this case have).

I'm all in favour of due diligence.

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff member
What about them?

Our judiciary is perfectly capable of dispensing justice.
It has done so for a lot longer than the EU/ECHR have existed.

Mephistopheles

Banned
Contributor
Abu Hamza got 4 years extra in the UK hiding behind the European Human Rights act and probably cost British tax payers a shit load of money.

On August 4 2008, the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg ruled that Hamza should not be extradited until judges could examine his case. The Home Office said it would abide by the court's request.

On April 10 2012, Europe's human rights judges ruled that Hamza, along with four other terror suspects, would not be subject to ''ill-treatment'' in America and their extradition was lawful.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/9590016/Key-events-in-battle-to-extradite-Abu-Hamza.html
Thank **** for that let them kill the bastards it is what they deserve, far better the ****s being a burden on the tax payers of this country.

If I had my way I'd just dig a hole shove them in it and poor concrete on top of then whilst they are still alive and then |'d throw a massive party on top of them, with no bleeding heart liberals invited.

Mephistopheles

Banned
Contributor
Like they say on celebrity squares "You are wrong to disagree X gets the square"

You do know that life is just a game don't you? You live it you play it and then you die, nothing more nothing less 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of us will make **** all difference by being born as far as world events and changing things go, we all follow our basic instinct and that is to grab what we can and **** everyone else and this especially applies to people in power such as politicians.

Truthfully Hamberg I never thought you were so naive.

Last edited:

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
I think your percentage statistic is wrong, I think it ends in an 8. ;)

canis

Race Winner
Valued Member
The only reason that makes sense to me about the Human rights Act and getting rid of it is the criminal one. There are a number of foreign nationals residing in the UK that have been convicted of criminal acts (everything including organised crime, murder, child abuse, assault and just about everything else) and the UK cannot remove them from the country due to the current law and the fact we have to abide by the rulings of Europe over human rights.

While a lot of the act I do agree with, the details are incredibly stupid as they bind us into having to keep (house, social payment, free school places etc) criminals who we judge to be not fit to enter our society.

Jen

Here be dragons.
Contributor
I detest the the HRA because it gives precedence to the individual, in all his/her disguises. The victim doesn't count, the culture doesn't count, Society doesn't count - sometimes the rights of one person (deserving or not) have to be sacrificed for the common good and to maintain a belief in the idea of community.

Top Bottom