• No

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff member
Something which largely went ignored during the election campaign, was Cameron's promise that if the Conservatives were re-elected, there would be a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU by 2017.

So within the next two years, the UK's relationship with the rest of the world could be very different, and it will also have profound implications here.

I suspect the campaigning will start soon and it's going to be a long, drawn out affair.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
I would like us to be inside the EU but only for the sake of trading. As in the good old fashioned "Common Market". I really resent the political interference from Brussels. I don't ever remember voting to be a part of a United States of Europe. So I have to qualify my Yes vote.

Reactions: Jen

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Wasn't Cameron's promise that there would be a referendum if he couldn't renegotiate the various treaties or was it a guarantee?

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Yup, Here's the words from their manifesto.

We will negotiate new rules with the EU, so that people will have to be earning here for a number of years before they can claim benefits, including the tax credits that top up low wages. Instead of something-for nothing, we will build a system based on the principle of something-for-something. We will then put these changes to the British people in a straight in-out referendum on our membership of the European Union by the end of 2017. At the same time, we will continue to strengthen our borders, improve the enforcement of our immigration laws and act to make sure people leave at the end of their visas. Across the spectrum, from the student route to the family and work routes, we will build a system that truly puts you, your family and the British people first.

canis

Race Winner
Valued Member
Leave the EU as a legislature - YES
Leave the EU as part of the Court of Human Rights - YES
Leave the EU as part of the European Court System - YES
Leave the EU as part of the financial burden it places on members of all of the above - YES
Leave the EU as part of a common market - NO, NEVER, Not on Your Life...

But as we get no option other than stay or go, the answer has to be stay in at least until our economy could take the strain placed upon it by loosing the common market...

Greenlantern101

Super Hero And All Round Good Guy
Contributor
If the UK leaves the EU the SNP will have another independence referendum. I guarantee it.

Jen

Here be dragons.
Contributor
Dare I suggest that even if we leave the EU we will still be able to trade with them? Just look at how much Chinese produce comes to our country - are they in the EU.

canis

Race Winner
Valued Member
It is not that we could not trade with them, it is just that it would cost us more to do so and so would have a fairly heavy impact on our economy...

Mephistopheles

Banned
Contributor
If we left the EU our exports would fall and imports would become more expensive I also reckon our banking system would become isolated in other words it would be an absolute bloody disaster, It would have been different if we had never joined but now we are in it we are stuck with it...

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
A good example of what would happen if we leave is the motor industry. These companies are trans-Europen (and to some extent wider). They have to sell large numbers of cars at fairly low levels of profit, to expect them to have to pay 10% on top of the current price for a model just because it is in the UK, which is not the top market size, is simply not going to happen. So we could lose Ford, Honda, Nissan and Toyota at a stroke; who would replace them?

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Interesting comment on the radio the other day that Norway, Sweden and Switzerland all have to pay to be members of the EEA. Not as much as the UK pays to be EU members but still not inconsiderable sums and, I believe, are calculated based on GDP.

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
That doesn't matter FB because Our Nige is going to unite the Commonwealth with us in charge. Should be good to be back with Mugabe again and also with the Australians who want to trade with us in preference to anyone else, well except for their trading with China which is really the only trading partner they want. But I am sure that Kewee will tell us how keen NZ are to make us their #1 partner. :dizzy:

Reactions: FB

Galahad

Not a Moderator
Valued Member
It depends greatly on what the alternative is. Having the ability to leave the EU but remain in the EEA would make the economic argument negligible.

Interesting that the argument is generally made in economic terms though, isn't it? I wonder how many would vote to leave even if the negative economic consequences were serious - just based on the sovereignty question? A bit of a parallel with the Scottish referendum there, perhaps.

Top Bottom