1. If you can see this message then you are on the new server.

The site is now available via a secure URL: https://cliptheapex.com

Dismiss Notice

Terrorism

Discussion in 'Gravel Trap' started by Hamberg, Jan 10, 2015.

1. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

What wasn't reported very widely was two women stabbed to death in France and a terrorist attack in Canada.

Marseille 'terrorist' attack: Two stabbed to death, attacker killed by French soldiers

Refugee charged in Canada 'terror' attack

The looney in the US has pushed these down the news agenda which, for the rest of the world, should be more concerning. There is a very simple way to avoid being shot in the US, don't go there. Never understood why when walking round Walmart in Manchester NH a woman doing her shopping needed a pistol on her belt. Perhaps the person working on the deli counter wasn't providing the best customer service so needed a slug between the eyes.

Andyoak and cousinDave like this.
  2. Andyoak

Andyoak Race Winner

That might have been my sister.
    I'll ask if you want?

3. Olivier

Olivier Race Winner

Some of us have no choice ... my wife has to travel to North Carolina for work in a few weeks. I've told her to keep a very low profile, to stay away from crowds and public spaces and to avoid restaurants.

4. FB

I know where you are coming from Olivier, sometimes you can't avoid it. I've been to the US with work on quite a few occasions but wouldn't choose to go there for a holiday. It's the only country in the world where I feel nervous just walking the streets.

Olivier likes this.
  5. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

I've been to and stayed in the following places in the US:

New York
    Boston
    Las Vegas
    Norfolk
    Newport News
    Jacksonville
    Orlando
    Tampa
    Miami
    Coco Beach
    Honolulu

And I can honestly say I have never experienced any trouble, problems, felt in danger or had any bad experiences in any of them.

6. FB

I've been to the US on quite a few occasions and never had any trouble either. I think It's just a constant nagging feeling in the back of my mind that every other person has a gun secreted about their person and if I say the wrong thing it could be curtains. No rhyme or reason simply a feeling.

Olivier and cider_and_toast like this.
  7. Andyoak

Andyoak Race Winner

I'm not surprised you feel nervous walking the streets FB, only the dregs walk; everyone else drives.

I remember walking from my dad's house 2 miles to the local mall along country lanes. I was stopped every half mile and asked if I needed help (it was NH and despite what I said above, it's a lovely State).

Still wouldn't live in the U.S. and can't afford to holiday there; but no worse than holidays in large parts of Europe; and probably safer than a lot of Europe too.

8. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

FB

Do you visit Brussels, or has the bombing in 2016 filled you with fear about that location? What about the rest of Belgium? Or is your paranoia limited to the USA?

9. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Never trusted the bloody Belgians.

I think it's something to do with all the waffle.

LOL

Andyoak likes this.
  10. FB

I go to Brussels quite often siffert_fan, my job requires me to. I don't feel threatened in Brussels as the risk is from terrorism. It might seem illogical but having lived through the time of Irish terrorism I feel or know that the chances of anything like that happening to me is very small. I do find it very concerning that any average joe I walk past on the streets in the US could have a gun inside their coat and if I look at them the wrong way and they are having a bad day I might end up with a bullet in my back.

I do still find it unnerving to see police carrying guns as I have grown up in an environment where this is not normal. I also don't like seeing troops on the streets as you see in Brussels and Paris.

Andyoak likes this.
  11. siffert_fan

siffert_fan Too old to watch the Asian races live. Contributor

FB

We lived in the USA for almost 40 years (we sold all of our real estate and moved to Victoria, B.C. when you-know-who was elected. Now HE REALLY scares me!!!) and I never felt in danger. I also have numerous engineer friends that collect firearms because they find it fascinating how there can be so many ways to accomplish the same thing!

In my experience, the number of people carrying guns in America is a tiny fraction of what most people might think. Carrying one is illegal in most states and in those where it is allowed, there are very restrictive licensing standards.

Unfortunately, the terrorists are winning at the present time, as they are making us change the way we live.

12. cider_and_toast

Vancouver Island is beautiful. The wife and I spent 4 nights in Victoria on part of our honeymoon.

Olivier likes this.
  13. FB

It's not terrorist I'm afraid of in the US (or anywhere come to that), it's ordinary people and never forget more people are killed in the US by gun crime citizen upon citizen than by terrorists. The rise of Islamic terrorism hasn't made me change the way I live. I did, however, pull out of an event in Turkey in 2016 when there was an attempted coup and then troops on the streets.

Just on the issue of carrying a gun in the US, 31 States have open carry laws without a license or permit. Doesn't sound very restrictive to me.

14. Olivier

Olivier Race Winner

That's great siffert_fan, Victoria is a really beautiful city with nice weather year round. For a while we contemplated moving to Vancouver but the cost of the houses skyrocketed so we changed our minds. If you have the opportunity, visit Yoho Natinal Park. You won't regret it.

15. Rutherford

Rutherford Podium Finisher

I’m scared of going to Japan, because they’re all ninjas.

16. Olivier

Olivier Race Winner

17. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

18. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

One of the less likely places that you would expect a terrorist attack is New Zealand. They seem to be peaceful and friendly which makes it even worse.

New Zealand mosque shootings

'Australian PM Scott Morrison confirmed an Australian-born citizen had been arrested, calling him an "extremist rightwing violent terrorist"'

19. cider_and_toast

Seems like 48 dead and around the same number wounded.

Senseless murder like so many other events

20. Andyoak

Andyoak Race Winner

But why on Earth is Sadiq Khan speaking out and tying it up with London Muslims?

It's the other side of the world.
    There are atrocities happening all around the world.
    You'll spend your whole life reassuring all the ethnic and cultural groups in your city if you take that approach.

Keep your nose out...
    It's not your problem.

cider_and_toast likes this.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice