Movies Tenuous Links

Mephistopheles

Banned
Contributor
Have you ever noticed any tenuous links or Easter eggs as they are sometimes called in the gaming world I'm talking about something that is deliberately included by the director or writer that points to another film they may or indeed they may not have worked on?

I am not talking about sequels or prequels that would just be silly.

For instance Orson Welles had a walk on part in most of his films.

I got the idea for this thread because I watched an old Stephen King film the other night called "Cats Eye" it's about a cat that is involved in three different stories at the end the cat saves Drew Barrymore from a Goblin, you may have seen it yourselves.

Okay, right at the beginning of the film the cat runs out into the road because a dog is chasing it and nearly gets ran over by a car I'd seen the film before but this was the first time I had noticed that the car involved was a cherry red 1958 Plymouth Fury and as it drives away you can see the name "Christine" on the fender sticker if you had blinked you would have missed the nod towards that other film by Stephen King..

So have you noticed anything like this in other films? It's just a bit of fun to while away the winter break from F1.

Last edited:
I know this isn't exactly what you are meaning but.

I watched 'Once apon a time in the west' last night from 1968 staring Charles Bronson. Its meant to be one of the best westerns ever made. Not sure about that but it is a great film. Well worth watching. Anyway you know the scene in 'Back to the future 3' where Marty walks through the old west town entrance and the camera lifts up over the pan tile roof to reveal the whole busy town beyond. WELL that scene is a total copy from 'Once apon a time in the west'

First 7 seconds.

Last edited:
Actually since I mentioned the gaming world has anyone realise the connection between the "Escape from" films (New York, LA) and metal gear solid? obviously they are both called snake but also they both use the other name of Pliskin but this was done by the game makers because one of the characters they had drawn in the game (Not snake) looked like Kurt Russel...

Last edited:
Peter Jackson has a cameo in all of the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit films. In the Desolation of Smaug he reappeared as a man eatin a carrot in Bree, like he was in the Fellowship of the Ring below:

cameo-jackson-3.jpg

In the 1st of the live action transformers films there are many references to the earlier cartoon film and comics.

Bumblebee is 1st seen next to a yellow Beetle, his alternative mode from the original series.
When Sam drives Mikela home he say's there's "More than meets the eye" with her. This is the tagline to the comics & toy series.
In the final battle with Megatron, Prime says "One Shall Stand, One Shall Fall" The exact line is used when prime defeats megatron in the original cartoon movie.

In the third live action film, Sentinel prime, voiced by Leonard Nimoy, says "The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many" A deliberate misquote of Spocks line in The Wrath of Khan. Nimoy also voiced Galvatron in the original movie.

Can't have this thread without mentioning Family Guy, there are references to movies and tv shows in every episode.

Back
Top Bottom