Sir Jackie Stewart

Realized this man doesn't have his own thread yet, so thought i'd give him one!

Jackie Stewart started his F1 career at Owen Racing Organistion (BRM to you and I) in 1965 and raced alongside Graham Hill thats year. On his debut he scored his first World Championship point in South Africa coming in 6th. The very same year he went on to win his first F1 Grand Prix Race in Monza going head to head with Graham Hill for the win. Stewart ended his rookie season in F1 finishing in 3rd place of the Championship.

In 1966, Stewarts BRM team went through a tough season ending up with 2 designed cars to fight for the championship. Stewart did win one race this season at the opening round in Monaco. Jackie went on to finish the season 7th in the championship and claim 14 points. This year also almost see Jackie win the Indianapolis 500.

In 1967 season Stewart spent his final year with the BRM team after they slipped further down the F1 pecking order. Stewart could only finish 9th in the championship on 10 points this season.

In 1968, Stewart switched to the Matra International F1 team. In his debut season for the team he won 3 races in Germany, Holland and the USA. That season he went on to become runner up finishing on 36 point and finishing behind the new Champion Graham Hill.

In 1969, Stewart went on to claim his maiden F1 title with the Matra team. He won races in Kyalami, Montjuic, Zandvoort, Sliverstone, and Monza. Stewart went on to finish up with 63 points.

In 1970, Jackie moved over to Tyrrell. That year he went on to finish 5th in the Championship finishing on 25 points, but the World Champions season wasn't all that disappointing he did go on to win a race in Spain.

In 1971, Stewart regained the title he'd lost in 1970. He continued to driver for the Tyrrell team winning races in Spain, Monaco, France, Great Britian, Germany and Canada. Stewart finished on a total of 62 points.

In 1972, Stewart lost his title to Emerson Fittipladi, finishing second in the Championship on 45 points. Stewart won races in Argentina, France, Canada and the USA that year too.

In 1973, Stewart ended his F1 career after becoming a 3 times world champion. Stewart finished the year on 71 points, winning races in South Africa, Belguim, Monaco, Holland and Germany. But after seeing his teammate Francios Cevert killed in a crash at the US Grand Prix Jackie decided enough was enough and quit F1.

After leaving F1 Jackie went on to become a Consultant for Ford Motor company while bringing safety on in F1. Stewart also went on to do commentary work in America commetating on Nascar and the Indianoplis 500.

In 1997, Stewart and his son Paul went on to form their F1 team called Stewart F1 signing drivers like Rubens Barrichello. The team won one race with Johnny Herbert winning the European GP in 1999 at the Nurgburgring. In 2000 Stewart sold his team to Jaguar, which became Red Bull in 2005.

For me Stewart is probably the best ever driver to come out of Great Britain and will always be the quick speaking Scot. But his willingness to keep safety in F1 going is an amazement at his age.

How do you think Stewart stacks up against other F1 champions?

I also apologise for the long thread but thought i'd do some proper research on Stewart.

1968 German GP at the Nurburgring, ran under atrocious conditions was going to be considered by many as the greatest accomplishment of one of the best drivers of the 20th century. Torrential rain, fog and wind. Not only Stewart won but he did it by a large margin, more than 4 minutes clear of Hill. His win at the Green Hell awarded him the title of Reignmeinster and put him in good company with Caracciola, Rosmeyer and Fangio.

Back
Top Bottom