Should Olympic sports be limited to those which require physical exertion?

I can't think of many sport which don't require physical exertion or stamina training.
Someone quoted archery as non-physical. Have you ever tried holding one of the bows for hours on end, they're very substantial & I couldn't hold one for long never mind have the physical strength to pull back the string.
Much as I love watching gymnastics, diving etc it doesn't sit well with me that a gold medal is decided on what is basically someone's opinion.
Don't even get me started on amateur vs professional - it's a joke.
Why insist on amatuer for some sports (boxing) while others are allowed professional competitiors (basketball) it's not even consistent across the Games. If the aim of the Games is to find the best in the world at a sport then you can't really exclude anyone, if it's to find the best amateur then no professionals should be allowed.

The more the merrier. If you dont like it being in the Olympics don't watch it. I kinda wanna see Olympic darts, air hockey, billiards, shuffleboard, bowling, poker, maybe even pinball. If Table Tennis counts then why not these?

I'll never understand Greco-Roman wrestling but there it is every four years. I noticed that this will be the last time they are going to have Wind surfing and it's going to be replaced by Kite Surfing in Rio. I guess there aren't too many major sports left to be considered. I know Lacross has come and gone and Softball has now been dropped.

Should football be an olympic sport?

In most sports at the olympics we're seeing the best athletes at that particular sport in the world, we aren't with the football. Also in most sports at the olympics, the gold medal is the highest accolade that you can get. For instance, in Usain Bolt's life, the highest accolade will be the gold medal in the 100m. For Team GB's footballers, winning the gold medal wouldnt have come anywhere near, and the same for any other of the competing teams

If you gave Murray the choice of either winning Wimbledon or winning the Olympics, he'd more likely chose the former

Back
Top Bottom