Politics Scottish Politics

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
Watched the Scottish First Minister's questions this morning. Very much less hubub than Westminster but just as much avoidance of answering questions.

Q: Has the Scottish government done an assessment of the impact of a long-term drop in oil price on Scotland, and will they publish it, Ms Dugdale asks.

A: Ms Sturgeon says Energy Minister Fergus Ewing is meeting regularly with the industry. She says she is willing to work with people on other side of the chamber to help the industry and protect jobs.

Q: Ms Dugdale points out that Ms Sturgeon was in Shetland four months ago predicting a second oil boom. She accuses Scottish government of failing to see the fall in oil price coming, and calls for an inquiry into "why you got it so wrong in the past".

A: Ms Sturgeon says people working in industry want to see politicians unite on the issue rather than get involved in a "political ding dong".

The First Minister was also still quoting the forecast of oil revenues being at $120 per barrel up till 2020. Strange as they are currently at $60.

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
Regardless of the heated debate we have had on here about independance, the currant price of oil would have seriously damaged the SNP's financial plans. How long oil will remain at this low price remains to be seen.

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
The oil industry thinks that there is no end in sight, in fact it rather looks like the only person who thinks that there might be a recovery to $120 a barrel in the next five years is the Scottish First Minister.

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff member
The leader of the SNP has told the BBC that her MPs will vote on English health matters if it helps to protect the Scottish NHS.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-30917414

But Ms Sturgeon said, under the proposals, the UK government will hold a veto over key devolved powers, including the ability to "abolish the bedroom tax", and called for an urgent rethink of what was on offer.

She said: "The legislation published today does not represent the views of the Scottish government, but it does represent some progress.

"However, too much of what the prime minister has set out imposes restrictions on the recommended devolved powers and would hand a veto to UK ministers in key areas."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-30915457

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
There's a logic to her argument even if it flies in the face of the whole Devo Max argument. Just on Scottish Politics, I wonder what this graph will look like for 2015 now the arse has dropped out of the oil market?

Last time they were at $50 was back in 2004/5.

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
Just look at the spikes in price around Gulf War 1, Sept 11th and then Gulf War 2. It went through the roof there after.

I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Mephistopheles

Banned
Contributor
The very first thing that will happen no matter who gets is that they will go oh look petrol's cheap we can whack some extra tax on that and no one will notice...

Dartman

Points Scorer
Having raised the cost of alcohol, drugs are now cheaper, the SNP doesn't understand the Scottish mentality of their lower orders, if they did they would have put more effort into policing drug dealers than checking alcohol sales are following the law

Greenlantern101

Super Hero And All Round Good Guy
Contributor
Interesting point Dartman. No cheap white lighting go for drugs instead. What a shit storm. Totally disgusted by this.

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
It's bizarre that it effects one area of the UK so much more dramatically than others. I don't understand the reasons that are fuelling this especially as the control measures are still a Westminster decision but the effects aren't felt so dramatically elsewhere. It makes no sense.

The BBC news tonight mentioned some partisan issues around regulations and who can enact which laws etc. This clearly runs far deeper than that and it is not a time to play politics when people's lives are at stake.

So many lives ruined and so much crime and social issues behind it.

I hope a solution can be found.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
It has to be said that a number of years ago knife crime in Scotland was worse than anywhere else, (well in UK anyway), but the Scottish government got on top of that. Different government though.
Anyway, maybe this will be a wake up call for the current government, time to start governing, and stop bl...y plotting.
Wake up, and smell the coffee.

Greenlantern101

Super Hero And All Round Good Guy
Contributor
Apparently Westminster has blocked Glasgows plans for Fix Rooms. Drug legislation is yet another thing thats not devolved to the Scottish parliament. So to do something radical like stopping sending addicts to prison it will need Westminster to listen to Scotland. Fat chance.

Angel

🧸 Smile, it might never happen.
Contributor
It is a sad state of affairs and a solution needs to be found, this is lterally life and death we're talking about here and there's no time to waste. For every one of those deaths how many others are also suffering either as addicts, or victims of crimes committed to get the money for drugs or whatever?

Someone has to stand up and do the right thing on this and many other issues right now, but government never moves quickly on these issues do they? It's just disgraceful.

Last edited:

Dartman

Points Scorer
It's a fact of life that those that die of drugs overdoses will find something else to die of if drugs are beyond their reach, possibly later or earlier, it's never a habit until it's a habit, but it is a need to escape life, it's in their genes. The sooner politicians and those that earn a living consulting on the problem realise that a great deal of money could be saved and spent on other diseases where a cure can be found.

Andyoak

Race Winner
I'm pretty confident it's not that simple (but I get your point).

An addictive personality can just as easily become an entrepreneur as a drug addict; it's as much about circumstances as anything else. Yes, there will always be some that are clinically inclined to self destruct; but I'm not convinced that a lot of drug addicts and deaths can't be prevented... but that means money being spent on social care and creating opportunity as much as medical care.

vintly

Mostly bacon
Premium Contributor
Drugs fill a void. Getting clean is hard enough but replacing the void with something meaningful is key to staying clean. As Andyoak said, creating opportunities etc

Andyoak

Race Winner
Fill the void; and hide the things that person doesn't want to deal with (well, it was in my case).

Top Bottom