Current Renault

Il_leone

Champion Elect
I would have thought someone like Bob Bell back at the team would have helped but it seems there is confusion who at Renault should be running that team whether its Frederic Vasseur who has racing team management experience from GP2 and knows the best talents around or Cyril Arbitroul who is more on the engineering side and more of a corporate man

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
Was very surprised at his leaving because he was head & shoulders the best feeder series team boss going I dont think they could get anyone better. as will buxton put on twitter guys won 16 Team ; 14 Drivers titles. Is it brave or foolish to question the methods of the most successful motorsport manager of the past decade

apparently from interview ive read Vassuer says that differences of opinion among Renault's senior management about the future direction of team were behind his decision to resign as team principal. he felt in conclusion Renault's chances would be hindered if there continued to be differing views about what needed to be done. Saying "if you want to perform in F1, you need to have 1 leader in the team & 1 single way. If you have 2 different visions then the result is that the work inside the team is slow."

Il_leone

Champion Elect
F1Brits_90 You know this is not the first quote about the current Renault team lacking direction which is worryingly becoming a common theme within what is happening with Team Enstone

Vasseur was not going to affect the day to day operations because you got incumbents like Bob Bell and Alan Permane there who know the team inside out

So the question is what does Cyril Abitroul who was most at odds with Vasseur have planned for Renault ?

Vasseur I would have thought with his knowledge of GP3 and GP2 would come in handy but I hope team Enstone don't suffer any more problems at the hands of poor management direction again

Galahad

Not a Moderator
Valued Member
They're not giving him any money to spend. And with Renault now implicated in possible emissions cheating, that may be even less likely to improve in future.

Il_leone

Champion Elect
Is there any car manufacturer who has not cheated emissiions? The other I heard is FIAT who own Ferrari right ?

Last edited:

Il_leone

Champion Elect
I forgot to mention is what effect will Vasseur's departure have on Hulkenberg's position in the team?

He signed a 2 year contract with an option for a third but he was very much Vasseur's man

Last edited:

Rutherford

Podium Finisher
Renault has been picking up pace in comparison to last season, who would have expected them to be where they are now?
Partly, it is down to a world class driver.

I hope they continue their trend and can challenge Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull in the near future.

Il_leone

Champion Elect
Hulkenberg is only 3 tenths off a Ferrari , if he gets a clean start he could become a handful for Kimi and Red Bull

Palmer good effort to get into top 10 but his gap to Hulkenberg is still massive

Incubus

Champion Elect
Being "part of it"?!!

What, so Renault actually triedto hack the entire world? They're bound to get a few penalty points for that. :)

RasputinLives

So Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Contributor
Liberty Media claimed hacking the world was modern, contemporary and made F1 exciting again so were reluctant to dole out punishment. Palmer was given a 10 place grid penalty and made to apologise to the NHS but that was about it.

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
Surely, if anyone wanted to wreck Renault's chances of a decent finish, they wouldn't bother going to all the effort of hacking the teams software they'd just demand that Palmer be given a new contract.

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Hulk did pretty well, maybe it's down to wearing a helmet painted in the same colours as Marc Surer?

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
I love the fact that it all came about due to an obscure line in the F1 rule book from the dawn of the 3 litre era about allowing turbo charged engines if they were 1500cc.

sobriety

Pole Sitter
But only for 3 laps, then they had to change the engine ;)

To be honest I miss that kind of insanity in Motorsports these days.

Top Bottom